I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Negative UF
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Negative UF  (Read 13528 times)
CCStan

« on: May 04, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »

Hi all, have a question for you.  Just asked PD nurse and she was unable to answer.  Why has Stan had a negative UF reading from the Baxter Pro choice.  This has happened twice within the last couple of weeks.  One time it was neagtive 1900's Sat it was negative 1780.  His Kt/v has been 1.89.  Also, when he does have postive UF's they are in the low side from 250 to 500 for a high.   He is using 2 bags of 2.5.

Any ideas out there? :thx;
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

Is your Stan diabetic? I am and find that if my sugar is too high, then the process won't work correctly. I need to have a difference between me and the solution for the filtration to work. If my blood sugar is too high, I won't untrafiltrate. Hope this helps.

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
CCStan

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

Is your Stan diabetic? I am and find that if my sugar is too high, then the process won't work correctly. I need to have a difference between me and the solution for the filtration to work. If my blood sugar is too high, I won't untrafiltrate. Hope this helps.
:thx; Mikey.  No Stan is not diabetic.  But again thnks for the info.  Back to the drawing board ?  Hate if PD won't work for him.
Savemeimdtba

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:45:26 AM »

I had a negative UF the other day (not as huge as that one you mentioned though... it was -93) and I asked my nurse and she said that since I'm still urinating that sometimes I won't need to have fluids taken off.  Thus, the machine doesn't pull anything.  Does your husband still have a little function left?

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »

When I started PD 5 years ago I kept getting negatives on my manual exchanges.  The PD nurse told me to drink more, so I did and finally started getting all positives.  On the cycler I had nothing but positives.  Don't know if drinking more would help.
CCStan

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »

I had a negative UF the other day (not as huge as that one you mentioned though... it was -93) and I asked my nurse and she said that since I'm still urinating that sometimes I won't need to have fluids taken off.  Thus, the machine doesn't pull anything.  Does your husband still have a little function left?

Save, Yes he still urinates.  But when he did manuals he almost never has negatives.  This large amount of negative UF just started recently.  Of course, he has only been on cycler since March.  I am concerned about the large amount of neagtive.

Pelerojas, He does seem to drink adequate amounts of fluids.  He is now on IV Iron infusion weekly so will be at clinic on Monday again !!  ::)  so we will address this with her again.  For the record Peleroja you are my idol.  Maybe it is the hat ??? :rofl; You seems to have a very good and sensible attitude regarding this crappy (oops can I say that?) disease. I am not very PC, sorry.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:06:21 PM »

CC, I had almost exactly the same experience on PD, and I also was still urinating and am not diabetic. I was told to really watch my sodium intake and drink more. I started drinking around 32-48 ounces of water a day plus my usual liquids with meals, and it got better.

Hope y'all get this figured out!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Savemeimdtba

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »

I never had negatives with the manuals as well... I think it's just an adjustment for the body (and the machine, it seems to "learn" you with time).  Not sure of the reason... could be that it pumps, could be the way you're laying, could be dwelling too long or not enough.  If it happens ALOT, I would definitely bring it up again and push for answers.

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
Jenabcd

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »

I don't know if anyone is reading this post anymore, but just in case...  I have found that I will have negatives during the night when I am laying down/sleeping.  I'm always awake for the last one in the morning, so I sit up, and boy do I ultrafiltrate!  It all comes draining out!  My afternoon exchange with the machine is good too... just when I am laying down.  If I didn't sit up for the last one of the day, the cycler probably wouldn't work for me.  My catheter must be positioned somehow in there, that just doesn't catch the fluid at a certain point, when I'm in that horizontal position.
CCStan

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 09:00:53 PM »

:thx;  For all the good advice.  Unfortunately Stan landed up in hospital (breathing difficulty) and was diagnosed with CHF ( Congestive Heart Failure) (fluid overload).  Did manuals with 4.25 every two hours, loads of diuretics.  I still can not understand why doc will not give Extraneal a try.  He is now suggesting going back into to hospital for cath manipulation.  Having problems understanding why not try a less invasive therapy first???

Edited: Fixed smiley error - paris, Moderator
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:43:38 AM by paris » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »