I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Florida may finally get Medigap for Under age 65 Medicare Patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Florida may finally get Medigap for Under age 65 Medicare Patients  (Read 1352 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: April 24, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »

ttp://www.renalbusiness.com/hotnews/florida-considers-renaming-proposed-kidney-le.html

Fla. ESRD Bill Might be Named For Alonzo Mourning

Copyright 2009 by Virgo Publishing.
Posted on: 04/23/2009

TALLAHASSEE, Fla.—The Florida Legislature is considering renaming a proposed bill that would give Florida end-stage renal disease (ESRD) patients under the age of 65 access to Medigap coverage assistance after Alonzo Mourning, a former NBA star and kidney transplant recipient.

Mourning, a leading kidney disease patient advocate, recently made rounds in Tallahassee on behalf of the kidney community to advocate for a bill that could help kidney failure patients who are struggling to access health insurance for the care they need.

His efforts caught the attention of members of the Florida Legislature and Florida’s kidney community, who have proposed renaming the bill, The Alonzo Mourning Access to Care Act, which would give Florida ESRD patients under the age of 65 access to Medigap coverage assistance.

Under federal law, all Medicare beneficiaries over age 65 are already able to purchase this insurance as secondary coverage, which provides them with access to needed medical treatments, including kidney transplant, without cost being a barrier. In addition, beneficiaries don't have to “spend down” their income to become eligible for state Medicaid assistance, which in many cases is the only option for this population.

Mourning asked that this same option be extended to kidney patients under age 65. The current bill has been approved by committee and is awaiting a vote from the full legislature.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »