I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Ladies - What to wear to dialysis with a perm-cath?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ladies - What to wear to dialysis with a perm-cath?  (Read 23320 times)
Fox_nc

« on: September 13, 2006, 06:22:15 PM »

OK - Just got a perm-cath in my right shoulder this week ... still in the hospital but will be out in a few days.  So here's my question ... what in the world do I wear to the center.  I can't wear a bra right now and I'm going to be using this thing for at least a month.  For now the hospital gown is working fine with a combo of a little tape. But I'm not sure I will be comfy driving around town commando, if you know what I mean.  The only thing can think of right now is to go out and buy a cheap shirt and modify it to snap open like the gown and keep using the tape.  I know that I'm not the only one who has to face this, so I thought I would toss it out for any wonderful work-a-rounds any one has found so far.  And I know there are some ... 
          :popcorn;

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:16:18 PM »

So what exactly is keeping you from wearing a bra?  Is it the shoulder strap that would be uncomfortable, or any type of tight fitting clothing going around your ribs?  If a regular bra won't work, maybe one of those "leisure bras" would work -

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=40379&CatID=40461&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0fcb777&ProdSeq=28&Cat=no-wire&Dep=Lingerie&PCat=Full+Figure+Bras&PCatID=40392&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=33&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll.aspx&RefCatID=40392&RefDeptID=40379&Page=99&CmCatId=40379|40392|40461

they are not as binding but still offer a little support.  Or maybe a tank top with built-in bra?  I've never had one of those caths myself, but I can imagine how uncomfortable it would be.

Other than that, a button-down shirt is usually recommended I believe.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:18:17 PM by Sara » Logged

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »

After my permacath was put in, I found the area to be extremely sore so I had a hard time wearing a bra.  I wore a strapless which didn't bother me too much.
As what to wear... it was summer so I wore tank tops.  Zip up sweatshirts and (as Sara suggested) button up tops worked well for me.

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:28:49 PM »

I don't wear a bra 90% of the time.  I wear button up shirts. 

With the fistula I cut the sleeve off a sweatshirt.  After they get the needles in, I pull the sleeve (cut off part) up over my arm to keep it warm.  My fistula is in my upper left arm

imacrash

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 11:29:14 PM »

I've had 4 catheters in my neck and chest.  I sometimes wore a bra but with one strap pulled down off the shoulder.  I also wore really baggy shirts that had buttons or snaps down the middle for easy access.  Basically, I didn't care what others thought about me in the center in what I wore, we are all in the same boat.  With the baggy shirts, I never wore a bra.  Now, I have a femoral catheter in my groin and have to pull my pants down.  I thought that was going to be embarrassing until I noticed that no one cared or looked my direction.  It's not like going to work and you need to look decent!  I knew one woman who always wore pajamas..I wish I could be as brave as her.  BTW, I take my pants down under my blanket, so that helps.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:25:39 AM »

Well, that answers a question that has been looming in my mind.  "What do they do when they run out of places on your chest."

Imacrash......what do they tell you.  Is there a point where they say "I'm sorry, you have no more access sites and your fistulas just won't work."  I guess I wouldn't be surprises if they told me that.  But I'd like to be in control of my destiny and if that happens then "they" are in control.

Fox_nc

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 04:29:56 AM »

Thanks ladies, this really helps.  My cath is in my right jugular and runs down right where my bra would normally go.   The access tubes are hanging over my nipples.  I'm going to try and find a tank with a small support in it, but it's almost fall now and I'm not sure I can find what I need in my size.  May have to make it.  I'm not real worried about what others in the center might see, but the trip over and on my way home.  Right now, the cath is still so sore, I can't lift my hand over my head without my husband's help. So, I would almost be stuck with whatever I choose all day long.  Maybe I'll just have to get over being so modist and let them run wild and free  :o  They're just boobs after all ... At least I still have them, right?  It could be worse.

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 04:37:35 AM »

I saw some supportive tanks in Wal-mart the other day.  Good luck!  :)

Joe died July 18, 2007
Fox_nc

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 04:52:54 AM »

Cool!  I hate Wal-Mart, but for this I will check it out.  Thanks!

Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 05:10:24 AM »

What does it matter if your in the car? No one will notice. I just wore shirts with buttons or some buttons at the top, or a lower cut top that easily pulled down. I had to expose part of myself for them to change the dressing, but I didnt care. I had lines where my bra went as well, I just tucked the lines into the bra cup, making sure it wasnt too tight. I guess if they hung any lower you couldnt wear a bra. What about those singlet tops with built in shelf bras?
Fox_nc

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:22:55 AM »

That's what I'm going to go look at when I break out of this joint in the next couple of days.  I don't own anything close to what will work, so one way or another I will be shopping somewhere. ... >:D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 10:24:49 AM »

*slowly backs out of thread*

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »

Who care what you wear and if you wear a bra or not.  Just tell people who are rude and ask: "I have been sick."  Then stick your tongue out at them.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
geoffcamp

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:09 PM »

manzire or more commonly know as the BRO from Seinfeld!

Just kidding Ladies! ;D

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 07:34:41 PM »

LOL.

This thread is revenge for the one about pretty nurses and time on your hands.   >:D

Joe died July 18, 2007
geoffcamp

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 10:16:24 PM »

did I post there??

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
imacrash

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 11:20:37 PM »

Rerun....yep, that's about what they told me.  After they attempted to make one last fistula and the next day they figured it would never work, they told me the last place we can try to place a catheter is in your groin.  First they did a lovely shave job on my right side groin area, then called my neph. doctor and she said "stop".  For some reason the transplant team said no groin caths on the right side, the side where the new kidney will go.  Sooo, I got another shave, at least it was even now, ha ha ha.  I was then told after that procedure that this was only temporary and that my only choice was to do peritoneal dialysis.  My veins are just too small to work with anymore.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 03:21:06 AM »

did I post there??

I don't think so.  It's a funny one though, check it out.

Edit: Oh apparently you did this morning.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:23:49 AM by Sara » Logged

Joe died July 18, 2007
babi68

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 03:27:32 AM »

I just used to wear my swimming top. It was stretchy enough to allow the lines to be tucked in. Didn't worry about wearing a bra, just let them hang down to my knees.  :D  They used to put one of those screens around me when changing the dressing, but in the end I told them not to worry.  Liz :)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 03:40:54 AM »

Rerun....yep, that's about what they told me.  After they attempted to make one last fistula and the next day they figured it would never work, they told me the last place we can try to place a catheter is in your groin.  First they did a lovely shave job on my right side groin area, then called my neph. doctor and she said "stop".  For some reason the transplant team said no groin caths on the right side, the side where the new kidney will go.  Sooo, I got another shave, at least it was even now, ha ha ha.  I was then told after that procedure that this was only temporary and that my only choice was to do peritoneal dialysis.  My veins are just too small to work with anymore.

I would think you should go to the top of the transplant list as critical. 

With me, I can't do PD because I've had too many abdominal surgeries, my veins are crappy, so my fistula is there, but I know it won't work.  My right side chest is exhausted for sites and I'm on my left side.  They are not getting that cath out of me until it is medically necessary because that will be it.  There will not be a fistula in my back or legs or butt etc.....

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 10:16:02 AM »

I can't believe I didn't see this til now (well I have been too busy to keep up on the 100's of posts each day  ::).)

I have had my catheter in my chest since July of 2005 so I have lots of experience with this! I wear tank tops that have a built in bra! Those are my favourite! And in the cooler weather I wear a zip down sweatshirt with a hoody over top ;)  :2thumbsup;

Some people judge me though for the way I dress .. like my own mother and brothers. They think I look slutty because ooooh I show the tiniest bit of clevage (I am a small girl! Not like I am Dolly Parton!! Geeeze!!  :banghead;.)

I just told my mom off by saying, "Look if I don't want to strip down naked so they can get to the catheter I will dress normal okay!!  ::)"

Another thing I find I can wear is those popl shirt of golf tees. But I find that the spaghetti strap tanktops with the bras built in are the best ;)  :thumbup;

added: I know what you mean about the hospital gown working for now.. here are some pics of how I have dealt with the catheter:

**oh btw, the only reason I don't have a bandage on mine is my unit teaches the "Shower Technique".

Oh I see others have suggested the tanktop with bra built in. Sorry I am just catching up! Also ..

Well, that answers a question that has been looming in my mind. "What do they do when they run out of places on your chest."

Imacrash......what do they tell you. Is there a point where they say "I'm sorry, you have no more access sites and your fistulas just won't work." I guess I wouldn't be surprises if they told me that. But I'd like to be in control of my destiny and if that happens then "they" are in control.
I was wondering that too since I am so young I know I will have to go through that some time in my life still!!

Right now, the cath is still so sore, I can't lift my hand over my head without my husband's help. So, I would almost be stuck with whatever I choose all day long.  Maybe I'll just have to get over being so modist and let them run wild and free  :o  They're just boobs after all ... At least I still have them, right?  It could be worse.[/color]
That is what I have been doing lately!  :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:02:19 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Fox_nc

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 09:38:12 PM »

"shower technique" - Ok what is this?  You can't just say something like that and not explain!  :banghead;  All I was told in he hospital was to not shower - don't get it wet.  This has become a battle in engineering at my house.  We are making progress with towels, tape, and saran wrap  :)  Washing my hair, which is not short, was an entirely different feat.  But clean, I am.  Now, the other day, at my center, they did offer me some bandages so I could change it at home, but the hospital scared me to death about getting it wet.  Wet = Infection!

I've found that a v-neck tee and an ill-fitting bra seem to work best for me and my little day-trips.  I'm trying to find some of the shirts like you have in the second pic, but they're a little hard to find this time of year.  I guess I wouldn't worry about it that much, but I'm a good 30 years younger than anyone else that goes at the same time as me.  Shouldn't make me any more shy, but it does. They already look at me like I'm a science experience.  :popcorn;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 09:42:53 PM »

I just do not bother with a bra when I do not feel like wearing it.  I do not wear a bra to dialysis. Noone cares.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
vandie

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 09:59:47 PM »

Fox, Victorias Secret has a huge selection of the bra tops.  I'm not sure of the price, but lots of colors and styles to choose from.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 10:02:17 PM »

I freeze in tank tops or tube tops.  You need sleeves and a shirt that buttons up the front so they can get to the dressing to change it.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »