I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Insurance review
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insurance review  (Read 17338 times)
paris
Member for Life

« on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »

I got a letter today from the insurance company saying that the IVIg and Rituxin treatments are in "initial review".  Doctor wanted to start them ASAP, but there are always many hoops to jump through.  I wonder if the insurance will approve this.  We shall see. 

Thought I better add that this is to help with getting a transplant.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:10:04 AM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »

I hope the treatment is approved for you Paris. Let's hope they don't come up wth some crazy reason not to cover it.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »

The  insurance  i  have was hard to deal with....I didnt get approved until one week before surgery , my Dr's had to send all my test and labs to my insurance company to make sure i needed a transplant..also i take cellcept they would only approve a 29 days supply but not a 30 day, go figure...Chris

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:41:43 PM »

Good thing is, I have been on transplant list for 3 years and our coverage is very good.  Now we just need to see if they will cover these extra treatments to (hopefully) lower my PRA so I can accept a transplant.   The insurance company is now waiting for the surgeon's explanation of why the IVIg therapy and Rituxin is needed and how often/how many treatments there will be.  So, here is hoping the insurance gods smile on this request.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »

hope that insurance covers them..its a shame they question wheather you need the treatment or not.. and decide wheather they pay for it or not...

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »

As with nearly everything, it all boils down to $$$ and how much they are willing to spend.

Did they say how long the typical review might take?

Keep asking questions. Medicare should cover some of it - have you checked?

I hope you get the treatment soon!

:grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:07:46 PM »

As with nearly everything, it all boils down to $$$ and how much they are willing to spend.

Did they say how long the typical review might take?

Keep asking questions. Medicare should cover some of it - have you checked?

I hope you get the treatment soon!

:grouphug;

Paris is not on dialysis yet so she won't get Medicare.  How does that work when you get a transplant before you are on dialysis.  I guess Medicare would just pay for drugs for 3 years.   ???

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:02:19 AM »

My primary insurance pays and fortunately, we have great coverage.  I think they just want the schedule of treatments, etc.  The treatments aren't new or experimental, so I am hoping their answer is yes.  They readily pay for all the repeated testing to stay on the list.   If someone says something needs to be done, I want to do it now.  I don't like waiting.  It gives me too much time to think!    I am on SS disability, so qualify for Medicare part B, but don't pay for that coverage yet.  I do have part A.   The surgeon has told me to "bug" transplant center every week until we get this started.    And regarding the meds post transplant: my primary insurance pays for the meds. I get a print out once a year about the actual costs of the drugs I would be on and how much my co-pays would be. I am not too stressed about that part.  Just waiting for approval for this new stuff drives me crazy. 

rookiegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »

Paris - wishing and praying all goes your way.  Thinking of you my friend.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »

Got more paperwork from the insurance company today.  I guess they want to make sure no one else is going to be paying for this.  I realized I was getting stressed from the waiting, but just read a great post from Jill D and realize I can't worry about the insurance.  What ever happens, will happen.  So, not going to stress or worry.  Vandie and Wenchie have reassured me about the IVIG and Rituxin -- so I will put it aside and get on with other things.  Thanks everyone for always helping me move forward.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »

Medicare A and B is what I have post transplant and it is secondary to my Humana for 30 out of the 36 months.  But it has picked up payment for everything so far except for stuff sent to my deductible.  I haven't come across anything that is deemed "not covered", so I can't help you there.

Paris, I would think that it would be to there advantage financially no matter how expensive the treatment may be, because the cost of dialysis is so darn expensive and there is no telling how long you will be on it.  That's why they love transplants.  Lots of money up front, but they save in the long run if all goes well!

I love you and I'm praying they don't deny.  Although, I think your doctor will go to bat for you.  Sometimes insurance companies need a little encouraging before they agree.  They want to know how "important" it is to the patient.  Will they fight for it, blah, blah, blah.

Love you!  Hang in there!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »

Thanks sweet Kelly.   :cuddle;   I think, in the long run, it will go through.   And I really like this surgeon.  I am hoping since he is the head of the department, he can help get this approved.   He appreciated that I knew so much about the treatments.  I even told him about IHD and his response was "we hate dialysis too-let's get a transplant".   But, I want mine to go as well as yours!  You have been the rock star of recovery!    I am going to focus on my son's wedding on May9th----that is all the drama I can handle!!   Thanks for you encouraging words   :cuddle;

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 08:18:14 PM »

Yes, we'll hit the ground running after the wedding!    :clap;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »

I have spent the past three days calling everyone who might be remotely connected with the insurance company or the transplant team.   Finally, this afternoon, my co-ordinator admitted that "she dropped the ball"!!  In the meantime, the insurance declared the review noncertified.  After hours of calls and taking names, the co-ordinator told me she had faxed all the info the insurance needed.  I decided to make one more call to the insurance people only to find out they had not received a fax.  Another call to the co-ordinator. I asked where she sent the fax--she told me. I tried to politely explain that wasn't the right place or person to send it to.  We had a little "come to Jesus moment" and I know she now thinks I am a pain.  This afternoon, she left me a message saying she had sent the fax to the person I told her to send it to and she had received a reply from them saying my case would go to the Board of Review next week.  Why did I know who needed the information and she didn't?  She did say that I needed to keep her on her toes and I needed to stay on top of things regarding my health.   Oh Lordy---she doesn't know me very well, does she?  I had a great relationship with my first co-ordinator.  She is now the supervisor over all the co-ordinators.  Guess who might be hearing from me on Monday?  Thanks for letting me  :rant;   I'll keep you posted  :thumbup;

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »

paris, Sorry you had to deal with the extra stress. I always jump the food chain when it comes to coordinators. I always go to the supervisor over them and I really don't care who I piss off. I'll say a pray that you hear good news next week and take Kits  :Kit n Stik; to the coordinator.  :rofl;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »

Friday I called the insurance "powers that be" and actually talked to the nurse in charge of presenting my case. She told me that my case had gone before the board again (now with all the right information) and they approved the treatments.  Today (Monday) my co-ordinator called to tell me it was approved. The surgeon was out of his office today, but she will talk to him tomorrow and they will have a schedule for the treatments by the end of the week.   Progress----I haven't seen much of that for a long time.  My kids are so excited.  Things were so hectic with all the wedding events this weekend, that I never had time to tell my second son, Adam (it was his wedding).  So, during the Mother - Son dance, as " What a Wonderful World"  was playing, I looked at him as said "they approved the treatments"----he stopped dancing and hugged me and started crying.  I am sure the guest thought it was just a moment we were having and no one had any idea why we were both so emotional.  It was a perfect moment, and one I will cherish.   Now I wait for the schedule.    :thumbup;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »

OMG paris - I am crying too - so sweet to share that good news with Adam, and Susie was with you too.
Congrats on being approved - that's wonderful news!!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »

:'(  I'm also crying!  Tears of happiness and joy!  Praise the Lord!  You're on your way!!!  I'll bet that will be a moment he'll remember for a lifetime!  I can't wait to hear your schedule!

Don't relax for a moment!  Stay on their tales!  Do not let them drop the ball again!   :cuddle;

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »

What great news, Paris!  So glad to hear this is coming together for you!   :cuddle;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; xoxoxoxo 2 u girlfriend!!!!!

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »

What wonderful news (it is a wonderful world) Paris.  I'm so psyched for you.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 07:07:44 PM »

What a sweet way to tell your son. I'm so happy they approved your treatments.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
rookiegirl

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 07:44:13 AM »

Paris - I'm so excited for you. 

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »

Oh paris, crying happy tears for you. Have they told you when they will start them.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »

:bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »