I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Insurance review
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insurance review  (Read 17339 times)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 08:13:53 AM »

:2thumbsup;

i am HAPPY to read this.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »

Paris, I am very happy for you. Hearing this leads me to have a little more faith in our health insurance industry.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:56 PM »

Transplant co-ordinator called today.  Treatments start next week!  Not sure of the day, she has to check to see what day they have open and what time slot. The infusion room is at the transplant center, so I am familiar with where I will be.  The surgeon has to "tweak" the treatments a tad because I am not on dialysis and part of the treatment includes about a gallon of fluid. Normally, dialysis would take care of that.   I am not nervous or concerned about the process.  Maybe, in the back of my mind, worried it won't change the PRA, but, if I don't at least try I will never know.      :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 04:12:42 PM »

So glad to hear that this is progressing so well for you, Paris!  You know we wil all be here and sending you all the positive thoughts and prayers that are possible your way.   :cuddle;
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:20:35 PM by David13 » Logged

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »

Next week is soon!!!   :clap;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
rookiegirl

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »

Paris - thinking of you always, always...

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 06:43:15 PM »

Love you Paris! Wishing you all the best! :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 02:48:03 PM »

Infusions start on Thursday, then every Thursday for month.  5/21, 5/28, 6/4 and 6/11.  I have been researching these treatments and working with three transplant centers and now, finally, they will start.  When our sweet Goofynina died, I had the pleasure of meeting Vandie at the funeral home.  She had infusions, pre-dialysis, received a cadaver kidney and is doing well. (she is being a huge help to me right now)   We know these infusions can make a difference in the PRA.  My surgeon cautions me that the results aren't great, but I am going to prove him it can work!   I am full of trepidation, excitement, nerves ---     I am not concerned about the infusions (well, maybe a little)  but more that I am worried about being hopeful again.  Does that make sense?  For so long, I knew I wasn't getting the "call" and didn't have any new people tested because we knew they wouldn't match.  Now,  the treatments may change all of that.  It was a safe place to be in and now I will go back to the unknown.  Thank you for your support and for listening to my strange thinking process!   Now where is the "stressed" smiley??    :stressed;   :stressed;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 06:59:19 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are with you on Thursday and always.   :2thumbsup;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »

Paris,
We are with you every step, so keep us updated. I hope all goes well.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »

:cuddle;     :grouphug;     :cuddle;   

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Beth36

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 08:10:42 AM »

I am so so happy for you, Paris!! What a wonderful way to tell your son about the treatments!!! I know your family is very excited, nervous, etc....my mom hadn't been on dialysis yet when she had her transplant and the IVIg treatments went well before her surgery. She did have issues with the plasmapheresis after her transplant because it made her have a crazy reaction but all is well....I don't know if your center has access to the drug my mom and another member here took but it's worth a shot. It protects the kidney from antibodies after a transplant...so far, after a year, my mom is doing great!!! I can't wait to read all about your experiences and I am hoping and praying for smooth sailing for you!!!
 :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »

:cheer: :cuddle; :guitar:

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »

Will be thinking about you Thursday and waiting to hear your post saying "Well, THAT wasn't such a big deal"!  You're gonna breeze through it!  Much love!  :flower;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »

Yesterday was nothing but long!  No problems, just takes forever.  But, I started running a fever of 100-101 last night and still have it. Co-ordinator called this morning to check on me and said fever and headaches can be normal side effects.  She said tomorrow should be much better.  I am still going to Ohio Sunday to see my nephews graduation.  A nephrologist stopped by to "talk" for a moment.  He was fascinated with my PRA being so high due to pregancies.  First patient he was met with that!  How many times have I heard that?   If I could only be so lucky winning the lottery!   You would have all been proud. Not a bit of nerves, just let get it done!!  My husband keeps saying that I handle things so well-------if I do, it is only because of all of you and your knowledge and support!   :cuddle;

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »

I'm so glad it went well.  It was the same way with the IVIG treatments I had to do for the CMV crap.  It took them roughly an hour before they hooked up the IV from the time I got there and then the treatment ran anywhere from 2-3 hrs.  Long and boring!

I can't wait to hear the results.  How many more treatments do you have before we know if it's working?

Love you!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »

It took about 6 hours for the treatment, once they started the IV.   I kept watching to see how long it took for the first bottle, so I knew what to expect for the second one. They did increase the speed for the second one.  But we left our house at 6:30am and got home at 3:30.  The next two are Rituxin and that should only be 3-4 hours. Then the fourth is IVIG again. After that, they will test the PRA and we should know 2-4 weeks after the treatments end.  It should make the summer go really fast or really, really slow!

Thanks Kelly   :cuddle;

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »

:waving; paris, I am so pleased to read that your treatment was only boring. I pray you get good results as you know we will all be sitting here waiting.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »

Can't get the fever to break. Stays between 101-102.  Not going to Ohio for my nephews graduation.  Co-ordinator doesn't think it is a good idea because of the fever.  The infusion went so well, a bit disappointed about three days of fever.  Tomorrow will be better!

Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »

Yes Paris...it will.  Any day the sun comes up is a better day!  Hold on, this too shall pass.   :cheer:

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2009, 06:09:47 PM »

Paris,  I am sorry to hear about the fever, but it does sound like it is not an unusual side effect.  I am hoping you will be feeling better soon.   :cuddle;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 12:54:10 PM »

I am the one that breezes through things and never has side effects, so it has surprised me to be down and out.  I am so disappointed to miss my nephews graduation.  He is the youngest grandchild and I was the only aunt that was going to be there.  My sister is sad, but understands.   Wish Ohio was closer than a 9 hour drive.   :(     Today is better than yesterday, so tomorrow will be even better than today   :2thumbsup;    Good thing is that I feel like posting and I have been awake for three hours!! 

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »

I am sorry you missed the graduation but it's important for you to take care of yourself now!
I hope you get through the next treatment with fewer side effects.
 :cuddle;
What are possible side effects of Rituxan?
Side effects may include fever, chills, itching, skin rash, throat irritation or tightness, and cough. Other common side effects may include headache, nausea, upper respiratory tract infections and aching joints.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »

Today is better  :yahoo;   Fever is alomost gone.  By tomorrrow, I should be fit as a fiddle   :rofl;  Then I can buy groceries, clean and do laundry just in time for the next infusion   :2thumbsup;   :rofl;   But, I feel much better today  :thumbup;   :clap;

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »

:flower; I am happy to hear that you are feeling better.  :flower;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »