I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New to the Group
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to the Group  (Read 3979 times)
Jean
Member for Life

« on: April 15, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »

Hi All,
My name is Jean Livingston. I am in 4th stage CKD and will be on Dialysis within the year. I am so happy to have found this board, because I think I am going to hate dialysis also. I am afraid of all  of it, and really do NOT want to do this, however, the alternative does not look too great either. Being 70 years old, I dont think a transplant is going to be in my future either.
Looking forward to all of your replys and all the info I will get from you also.
Jean

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
pklipe57

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »

:welcomesign; to IHD.  I was also in stage 4 when I found this website.  This is a great place to learn.

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »

:waving; Jean

Glad you found us here at IHD.
I think alot of people find this site late into there CKD progression.
I can say this site has helped me and many others who were or are still preD.

Hope to see you post on many threads.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:10:46 AM »

:welcomesign; Jean. So glad that you found us and we are sure that you will find all kinds of information, support and friendships here. Hope to hear more from you.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »

Jean, I turned  68 last year and learned I had 2 years before dialysis in September of 08.  Then it because 2 months so I start this coming Tuesday.  I hate the idea to so I am with you.  Stay  around and you'll get lots of support from this site.  Just read and read and read I guess.  And get opinions  from everyone ... some of the will work for you.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

Welcome, Jean!   :welcomesign;

You have found a great site.  You will discover lots of information and support here.

I hope to see you posting often.

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »

It's real good to have you here!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:23 PM »

Hello Jean happy to have you. This site is wonderful, I am happy you found it too!  Stop in from time to time and let us know how your doing. 

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »

Welcome Jean, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »

:welcomesign; Jean.  Good to have you here. There is a lot of really great information here and even more support.  It is a safe place to share how you feel about kidney disease and all that goes with it.  We are all here for each other.  Post often and share more of your story.   Glad you joined us  :2thumbsup;

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »

:welcomesign;  to a great family.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »

:welcomesign; :welcomesign;

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »

:welcomesign;  Jean and in no time at all I bet you'll feel like you've known us forever.  We tend to connect quickly and to hold tight.  :flower;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
southyard

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »

Hi Jean

I have you beat in the age thing I am 85 and started Dial last August after they talked me into trying it for 5 months  That period ws up in March and I am still on it  I hate it and the problems that it causes.  I wanted to quit so as not to be  drag on my family  Last Jan I fell and broke a hip.  The famillies response to this was something I had never dreamed of.  They found about my needs before I did and made all the needed adjustments in the house etc.  After the fall I was given a shot in the ambulance and do not recall anything until 8 bays later as i was being placed in another ambulance to be taken to a rehab hosp.  I spent 2 weeks there and insisted I be released   While in the hiosp and rehab I had dial in my room.  It was and still is at the center a PITA.  I have now agreed with family to live it out until other causes take me. 

IStick with it

Southyard
TeenHatesDialysis

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »

:welcomesign; Jean,

Sorry that you have to go through this. Some people are able to postpone dialysis for long periods of time after being diagnosed stage 4....who knows, you just may be one of them!   ;D  How are you feeling?  I have an 18 year old daughter that has been functioning 200%- school, sports, work, go, go, go, with less than 20% kidney function for the past year and a 14 year old daughter who started feeling very bad at 25% kidney function. I am glad that you joined the group. There are so many knowledgeable people here and everyone is very supportive. :grouphug;

Susan, mom of Jaclyn, Deziree and Valerie

www.cotaforjaclynp.com
Jaclyn and Deziree diagnosed CKD 2/07; NPHP (type 1) 9/07
Jaclyn started dialysis 1/2/08
Successful Transplant 7/4/2009 at Lucile Packard Childrens Hospital @ Stanford, Palo Alto, CA
Deziree in denial
Jaclyn listed 5/08
Deziree listed 1/09 ("Inactive")
Jaclyn Cadaver kidney transplant 7/4/09 (Independence from dialysis day!)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 02:49:21 PM »

Today I went to the vampires and had blood drawn. I cannot look at the needle in my arm, nor can I look at the blood coming out. I thought about that and now I am thinking, maybe I should opt for hemo in center. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks so much, this group is great!!!!

Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »

:welcomesign; Hi Jean, I am a wife and carer to my husband John he will be 74 this year and had kidney failure in 2007. He has 11% kidney function and once a month has his blood tested to see if dialysis is his next stage. He has functioned like this for the last 2 years and still does not need dialysis. So hopefully you too could carry on being on test only, You don't say where your from! we are in the UK and the medical attention John receives is marvelous, also we can look up his results on line from the renal unit. Good Luck Yvonne

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »

You folks are all just great. I am feeling okay, got an EPO shot from the Dr 3 months ago, and it livened up my life a whole lot.Will see him on the 6th of May, and hoping for a good GFR, I am at 18 right now. Was at 29 a year and a half ago when I had a heart attack and was in the hospital. I have been planning to have PD if my membrane is okay, but after having blood drawn today, I dont know. I cant watch the needle in my arm, or look at the blood. What a wimp, huh? I hope I get tougher soon!!!

rockhound

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »

Welcome to the board Jean,There is lot's of good info here and you can learn alot about treatment. I am 76 and didn't want to do dialysis at all, but man I am so glad I did,  I realize all of us are different. but I am so glad that there is such a thing as dialysis.I say embrace it while you can because when the Obama gang get their way all us over 65 will be out of luck
drinkboy

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »

:welcomesign;   I am glad you found this site.  It is a great source of info and insight.  You'll find people of all ages here, and everyone is so helpful and willing to share experiences.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:42 AM »

:welcomesign;jean  to  the  family.

so  that  its  not  such  a shock,  try  visiting  your  local  dialysis  centre  if  possible,so  you  get  an  idea  of  how  things  work. :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 01:21:32 AM »

There is a Fresenius and a DaVita close by. I am going to try that and see if they will let me have a peek. I didnt know you could do that. Thanks a lot. I love this website and check in every day, and read, read, read.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »