I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:28:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A special thank you to IHDers...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A special thank you to IHDers...  (Read 7865 times)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »

When I joined IHD on March 5, I was ready to just give it up.  I felt I was too old to start dialysis and the whole regiment.  The therapist suggested I look online for a support group and I googled!  I found I Hate Dialysis and thought now that is for me to satisfy people that I gave it a go.  To my surprise I found a great bunch of new friends.

I am really grateful to you.  You know who you are.  I feel as if I know some of the members here.  I could single out many people, but Paris was the first person to talk to me.  A special thanks for that Paris, as I’d have just gone on to other things that night otherwise..  That doesn’t mean I don’t have a special place for everybody else.  If I tried to name names I would surely forget one but you do know who you are.

I’ve received so much support and encouragement, information and suggestions, and not a few laughs from so many people.  Thank you!

Well, today I got a schedule for a fistala and a cateher (oops, work isn’t in the spell checker).  Monday morning I’ll be at the hospital bright and early.  Tuesday I’ll start the dialysis.  I couldn’t have, wouldn’t have, made that decision without you people.  (Of course next week I may be cursing you if it really hurts.)

Thanks for accepting me and making me a part of the “family”.

Dan

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »

Good luck with your fistula and starting dialysis.  Hope everything goes well.  :grouphug;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
cherpep

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »

I hope everything goes well for you!!  Please keep us updated.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »

glad to hear you're looking at things differently. glad you decided to join us and become an active participant. friends are such a wonderful thing. especially those who know exactly how you feel.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »

The best of luck to you.  We are really happy you found IHD too!  :beer1;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:53 AM »

:thumbup;

Its gonna hurt like hell  :oops;

I mean it is painless >:D

Glad you found this site as well.   It has truly helped many people come to terms with Dialysis.  I hope all goes smooth for you on monday.
You have come a LONG way from when you first got here.
Glad to know you will be around for a LONG time to come and be feeling much better in the process.
P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

Best of luck to you, Dan.  We are all here for you and I will be thinking about you as you start this new phase on your journey next week.   

Has it only been a little more than 1 month?  I can't image IHD without you. . .   ;)

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »

:cuddle; Dan, we will all be there with you on Monday and Tuesday.  :waving; We will be patiently waiting to hear from you and we are sure you are going to cuss at us, but that's okay. Look forward to hearing from you.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »

Wow DC, that is fast. Good luck next week, you will do just fine  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:35 AM »

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »

Dan,
That was a great post, I am so glad that you found us and even more glad that Paris reached out to you when you needed it most.

All the work we put into the site and the hours we spend are all worth it when we read a post like that.

Just remember when you have a bad day, (and there will be some) you can come here and rant and we will listen. Hell we will help you rant if you let us! :rofl;

:2thumbsup;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »

Dan,   :cuddle;  You are one of the reasons Epoman created this site!  You went from not caring to being full of knowledge and power.  All because one man wanted to give others a real place to learn from each other.  I am really glad to call you "friend".  It has been exciting to watch your participation on IHD.   How many posts have you made in a month?   :2thumbsup;  You are now an official IHD addict!   :yahoo;   Next step is "Premium Member"   :clap;   You are family, Dan and always among friends here.  You know my prayers will be with you next week.  Will you have internet access at the hospital? (to help support your addicition)   :rofl;     See you in the chat room  :2thumbsup;    :cuddle;   :cuddle;   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »

Paris, I'll try and make you my roll model.  Although it isn't in my nature  to be too nice.

By the way, I sent a check this morning along with my income tax.  Before there was discount even.  lol  Too bad I couldn't have reversed the amounts on irs and ihd's checks...

And finally, no matter what you and the women say, " a fish can't ride a bicycle".  That made no sense whatsoever.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »

Dan, my Dad was 10 years older than you when he began dialysis 2 years ago so you're but a youngster!    Paris is a special lady isn't she, bless her for helping you and for everything she does for all of us here. I hope your surgery goes well.Take care, Rose
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »

:cuddle;
Hope it goes well for you, dan!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »

Good Luck DW,

And let me know if you need anything as I am right around the corner... You said methodist right?

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »

Good for you Dan and trust me    :rofl;   :rofl;   :rofl;   it doesn't hurt much at all...really...well, let us know.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »

A word of caution Dan.  It's going to be pretty crowded at your appointment on Monday and at your first dialysis on Tuesday, cuz we're coming with you.  Hope we don't crush you or get in the way but we'll definitely be there.

I look forward to reading your post about it all afterwards.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »

This is what IHD is all about - information, and above all, support.  As Paris said. this is exactly the reason for which Epoman started this wonderful online community.  And people are being helped all the time.  I know because it was IHD that took me from freaking out to understanding what was going on.
We will be with you all the way, if you let us.
We are waiting to hear how it went.
My caring thoughts and prayers are with you. :cuddle;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »

We are the site that cares, ya know. I am glad we helped you in your decision making.  You can come on back next week and curse all you want to.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »

Dan, you're the Man! You can do it. Good luck with the fistula and starting dialysis. I, too, have learned so much from this site. This is where I get all that detailed information my nephrologist is afraid to tell me. Let us know how it goes.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 05:39:06 PM »

Don't worry Dan you'll be fine... any pain you'll feel will be short lived (and remember you can get a local shot if you feel you need it) and hopefully you'll have more of an idea what to expect when you get in there and not be so freaked out by it all. You will be fine.

The far far more painful thing you have to deal with is my bad jokes!!!  :yahoo; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »

So I'll stay around and continue to harass you about your women.... lol

The fistala is going in left arm middle (right at the elbow).  Veins in forearm are too tiny.  He won't allow me to use it for ten weeks.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 07:53:13 PM »

Sounds just like my second fistula which developed and worked very well.  My first fistula (28 years earlier) was in the forearm but they initially  thought the veins were too small and they had planned to use a piece of vein from my thigh.  However, they got in there and found that they didn't need to do that so I woke up to a pleasant surprise of only one cut.  That fistula worked perfectly for 5 years with no fistulagram or anything but I did my own needles and was very conscientious about always laddering my needles consistently up the fistula.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:03:12 AM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »

:cuddle;  Dan I am glad you found us.

We have all been in your position. I personally went into dialysis kicking and screaming all the way. Terrified of what was in front of me. A real basket case!  :P

But I soon found out I have way more courage, strength and determination, that I ever thought I had. I surprised myself.

I know you will find the strength to get through it, step by step.  You will surprise yourself.  ;)

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »