I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Am I just talking to the walls?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I just talking to the walls?  (Read 10820 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »

Ah HA! So you're the one paris... you're the woman that makes it looks like we can "do it all!" Well, knock it off!  :rofl;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »

Ah HA! So you're the one paris... you're the woman that makes it looks like we can "do it all!" Well, knock it off!  :rofl;

What okarol said.  :rofl;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:35 PM »

Men, men, men!  Don't you all just wish we'd all move to some other planet????

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »

:rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl; I use to say that a woman without a man was like a fish without a bicycle.  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
greco02

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 03:40:02 PM »

OMG....Paris, are you my twin?  I can't wait to get home and see how mad he is at me for calling his shrink and ratting him out about not taking his meds.   Should be fun.  Eggshells, walked a hundred miles on them.  Carrying on, pretending all is well....it gets old.   He is our primary cook.  He does most of the housework.   I have a  8-5 job so I have an escape.  He does canine volunteering 3 days a week and wears his butt out.  Then we veg in front of the TV and don't communicate.  Gotta love it.

I guess I may be jumping the gun on the dialysis possibilities but he sure has the other crabby I hate live symptoms.   
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »

As much as we complain --- what would we do without you guys?   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »

:rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl; I use to say that a woman without a man was like a fish without a bicycle.  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

HEHE.... what in the world does this mean?

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »

Hmmmm funny that all the women understand it, eh?   :rofl;  :rofl;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »

Bwahahaha!  :rofl;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »

Hmmmm funny that all the women understand it, eh?   :rofl;  :rofl;

DW,if you  have to ask, then you are a guy!    :rofl;   :rofl;   :rofl;   :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »

Next time you decide to have a Pity Party please invite me.  I am great at those kind of parties!  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 10:42:23 PM »

Paris - just know you are not alone.  My husband was so clueless when I was doing cancer treatments and if possible - even more clueless through my kidney failure journey.  He didn't understand why I was tired ALL the time - "didn't any of those pills help?"  He did participate in the heavy lifting of the PD supplies that came every other week.  For some reason I find that if a man can't just "fix it" many of them go into a denial thing.  I don't know.   :Kit n Stik;

I just keep trying to explain...... and explain.... and explain......

:bunny:

Hmmm...I always assumed that was "an engineer thing"! my husband's an engineer and so are all of his friends. They are all like that. Paris, you are not alone. I  have tried to get my husband to read books about the subject, but that never worked out. I even got him to join IHD, but he posted like 8 times and has not been back since. I don't think he really read much on here either. He is more interested in the computer and playing his guitar. I suppose that's his way of relieving stress lately, but it drives me crazy!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »

This thread just makes me cry- my husband would never read anything about his condition, he would not learn his diet, he would not come here to read anything, he took his meds the way he thought was best, to hell with the Dr., he drank what fluid 'he could handle'- he used to tell me 'I learned it- so he did not have to'. And look where that got us! 
   I wish he would have been proactive in his care. I am so glad you all ARE, and I wish your family members were more supportive.
   One thing I did do for him, that he would at least listen to, I used to read your posts out loud to him.
I figured he could learn from the multitude I read to him, so at least he wouldn't feel so alone in his condition.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 12:19:56 PM »

To Paris, Wenchie, Willieandwinnie...
No matter what you say, "a fish can't ride a bike and wouldn't even need one".  That makes absolutely no sense.

haha  (i just figured it out).  Now what would I call thaat?  Is BS appropriate?

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »

Oh glitter! I'm so sorry to hear that! Thank goodness he at least had you for as long as he did.   :grouphug;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 10:34:27 AM »

Paris, my wife is a nurse. but she works in the '" eye surgury center" . She doesn't know very much about dialysis. When she makes dinner, she always puts the wrong things in. She makes "healthy choice" dinners. Too much salt tasteless garbage.  She goes to the Casno and loses money, and leaves me sitting til' sometimes 10:oo pm. but I love her.
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »

It makes me sad to hear all these stories about spouses who are uninvolved, unconcerned and, I'm sorry, don't seem to care.

I'm on my own, so I don't have that frustration.  After reading these stories, I think it would make the whole process that much more difficult.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:22 AM »

To my husbands defense,  he does care. It is just overwhelming and I think it is easier to not think about.  I will always be the caregiver in our family, even though I am the one with kidney disease.  I get frustrated some days   :banghead;   My role was established years ago and I am having a hard time changing the definition of who I am.    The person (me) who did everything, planned all events, cooked every meal, paid bills, cleaned, taught school and now does little of that.   And we have been married  FOREVER  so, maybe his age has something to do with accepting change.  Men do become "grumpy old men" at some point   :rofl;    :rofl;  Sorry, men, you know we still love you   :2thumbsup;   IHD gives me a safe place to complain without upsetting my family----and you guys know how I feel, so you get it.

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »

To my husbands defense,  he does care. It is just overwhelming and I think it is easier to not think about.  I will always be the caregiver in our family, even though I am the one with kidney disease.  I get frustrated some days   :banghead;   My role was established years ago and I am having a hard time changing the definition of who I am.    The person (me) who did everything, planned all events, cooked every meal, paid bills, cleaned, taught school and now does little of that.   And we have been married  FOREVER  so, maybe his age has something to do with accepting change.  Men do become "grumpy old men" at some point   :rofl;    :rofl;  Sorry, men, you know we still love you   :2thumbsup;   IHD gives me a safe place to complain without upsetting my family----and you guys know how I feel, so you get it.

We do know, Paris, and we care about you!  I am so glad you are proactive regarding your own health.  Although support from family and friend is very important, in the end, that is what really matters.  And we want you around with us for a long, long, long time!   :cuddle;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 10:33:53 AM »

It makes me sad to hear all these stories about spouses who are uninvolved, unconcerned and, I'm sorry, don't seem to care.

I'm on my own, so I don't have that frustration.  After reading these stories, I think it would make the whole process that much more difficult.

You know Stacy sometimes I feel the same way.  I am 23 and I like to think that I don't need anyone in my life.  And I don't, but my children do.  I could take care of them on my own, but it would be so much harder on them. And Matthew loves me, and is a wonderful father.   I just think with everything you have to take the good and the bad.  Yes it dose add extra stress, but most of the time it is worth it.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »

TO MY WIFE'S DEFENSE, she does care. It's just overwhelming for her because she' got problems of her own. She's always been the bread winner in our family and lately she's had to deal with a back injury - surgery and dentures. We've only been married 20 yrs, but it seems like forever. People do become grumpy old people,  :rofl; :rofl; I don't really see that there is that much difference between men and women, other than plumbing. IHD is just where I live while my wife is out gambling, or at work.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »

We seem to be in the same boat, Hurlock!!  We are family here, and it is nice to have each other, especially because we all know.  Next time your wife goes out at night, check the chat room and see if anyone is there.  We have a pretty good time there most nights.   We can let off steam, gripe, but mostly we make each other laugh.   Come and join us--usually around 9 east coast time people start gathering.  Look forward to seeing you there.   :clap;

And I can be really grumpy some days  :rofl; 

rocker

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »

Hmmm...I always assumed that was "an engineer thing"! my husband's an engineer and so are all of his friends.

Nope, nope, not an engineer thing.  Hubby and I are both engineers.  But I am the one who follows most of the details.  When he is in the hospital, I had to make a standing rule that if a doctor enters the room and I am not there, he is to call me and put the phone on speaker so I can hear what is said.

A typical hospital conversation before the rule:

Me - Hey honey, I'm back.  Did any doctors come in while I was out?
Him - No.  Just some nurse.
Me - Uh huh.  What did this nurse look like?
Him -  [description]
Me - Ok, that was actually the nephrologist.  What did he say?
Him - Blah blah blah.  Nothing, really.

[two hours later we'll be chatting]
Me - I've been reading about this.  I'm really surprised no one has asked about your [symptom].
Him - Oh yeah, that nurse guy said something about that.
Me - Nephrologist.  What did he say?
Him - I don't really remember.
Me - Well, I wonder why he didn't recommend [medication] for [symptom], I've seen where they've had really good results with that.
Him - Oh, yeah, that sounds familiar.  I guess he said he was prescribing that for me or something. Maybe.

:banghead;

You get the idea.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »

Great post, rocker!!  You made me laugh  :rofl; 

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »

To my husbands defense,  he does care. It is just overwhelming and I think it is easier to not think about.  I will always be the caregiver in our family, even though I am the one with kidney disease. 

Ditto for mine!

Hmmm...I always assumed that was "an engineer thing"! my husband's an engineer and so are all of his friends.

Nope, nope, not an engineer thing.  Hubby and I are both engineers.  But I am the one who follows most of the details.  When he is in the hospital, I had to make a standing rule that if a doctor enters the room and I am not there, he is to call me and put the phone on speaker so I can hear what is said.

A typical hospital conversation before the rule:

Me - Hey honey, I'm back.  Did any doctors come in while I was out?
Him - No.  Just some nurse.
Me - Uh huh.  What did this nurse look like?
Him -  [description]
Me - Ok, that was actually the nephrologist.  What did he say?
Him - Blah blah blah.  Nothing, really.

[two hours later we'll be chatting]
Me - I've been reading about this.  I'm really surprised no one has asked about your [symptom].
Him - Oh yeah, that nurse guy said something about that.
Me - Nephrologist.  What did he say?
Him - I don't really remember.
Me - Well, I wonder why he didn't recommend [medication] for [symptom], I've seen where they've had really good results with that.
Him - Oh, yeah, that sounds familiar.  I guess he said he was prescribing that for me or something. Maybe.

:banghead;

You get the idea.

Not paying attention to medical things is just a male thing!   ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »