I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistulagram on 21st
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistulagram on 21st  (Read 2191 times)
pdpatty

« on: April 11, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »

Ok,have read on here where some experienced pain during this. Read on web that it can take 2-3 hours to complete. Is that correct?

Read also I am not to eat before.

Well,what si it like?
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:33:08 PM »

omg, me too.  same day I think.  Haven't heard that so I'm waiting for answer to your post...They will knock me out.  You?

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »

patty isn't talking about getting the fistula placed, dan.  A fistulagram is a procedure to balloon open a narrowing that sometimes occurs along the walls of the fistula.  It's done out-patient, the procedure itself varies in time depending on how many spots need to be ballooned open.  (I usually spend more time in pre-op, waiting for them to start than I do in the actual procedure.) Yes, it can hurt while they do it, although most places will dope you up with something so you aren't really aware of the pain.  You may have some swelling and discomfort after.  I've rarely needed more than a tylenol, though.

They should give you pre-op instructions.  I do the same drill every time.  No food after midnight, no liquids 4 hours before you check in, only a swallow of water to get down the morning meds.  You must have a ride home, as the meds they give you will make you too groggy to drive.  They usually keep me for at least an hour in post-op.  You can have dialysis the same day as the procedure, although I hate doing in-center right after - it makes for a tremendously long day!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:40:37 PM »

I had stents place into my graft.  They gave me good quality drugs wile they did it.  They had a nurse standing by to give the drugs while they worked on me.  I got to see the x-rays when they finished. Pretty cool.  Yes, there was some pain, but manageable.  Afterwards the arm hurt for a week.  But then was fine.  Very similar to a fistula gram.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »

Just say YES to the drugs.

:yahoo;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:51:29 PM »

Just say YES to the drugs.

:yahoo;

I agree!  :2thumbsup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
502Blues

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »

My first fisulagram was very painful, and it did take a couple hours.That was when I had it in my arm. Now that I have an AV Graft in my abdomen,they had to put me to sleep for angioplasty

1991: kidney failure, undetermined cause
1991: right and left clavicle temporary catheters
1991: catheter for PD
1992:transplant
1998: June, Fistula placement
1998: july, back to dialysis,Hemo
1999: transplanted kidney removed
2001: parathyroidism
2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: april, Pd catheter placement
 PD would not drain properly
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 08:31:46 PM »

No advice from me ----  Just wanted to say "502, good to see you again"   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »

502 Can you explain the graft in your abdomen to us please? Never heard of one there.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »