I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  RichardMel ---STAY AWAY FROM MY WOMEN
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RichardMel ---STAY AWAY FROM MY WOMEN  (Read 8673 times)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« on: April 11, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

Hehehe.... I thought that would get your attention.

But seriously, Richard, in your profile it says they gave you two years before dialysis and you changed doctors.  My delima is last November they gave me 2 years before diallysis and then this April he give me NO time before diallysis.  Should I change doctors or even get a second opinion.  He has me schedule for the surgeon next Wednesday for a fistala and a cateter....(please don't take off points for my spelling.)
It is all base, according to him, on my Creatin (whatever that is) and Bun (ditto) numbers.  Creatin went from 4.2 in January to 5.8 last week... is that bad?

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »

I am sorry to read about your story and I appreciate the position you are in. You say you have a Creatinine of 5.8. May I please ask you if you have any of these symptoms associated with uremia such as scratching, swollen face/ankles, nausea and sickness, no appetite, etc,etc...? Kind regards, Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »

DW---you are bad!!   I came here all ready to defend RichardMeltMyHeart and assure you that there are plenty of women to go around!   :rofl;    You did get my attention  :2thumbsup;         Sounds like your creatinine is going up and it really is about time to get everything in place.  It seems like you have a good relationship with your doctor and you will have to trust him to decide when the time is right.   Good news is that you are becoming a very informed patient.   :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »

He's watching your numbers which is good, at least he is not letting you drag through the dredges of crashing like most of us.  That is not a    :banghead;      :puke;            pretty picture if I must say so myself.  My young son used to compliment me..."wow mom, you can walk by the bathroom and vomit at the toilet from 10 feet away and not have to clean up anything...what a mom".....and he was 33...the snot.....that is not what I want on my Rock some day.   Get ready to do what your Dr. says.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »

To Kristina... I have no outward symptoms other than extreme fatigue....Paris is correct in that I have a good relationship with the doctors but I really don't want to do surgery... it hurts.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »

See for yourself what stage you are in and what is recommended.

Here is a tool from Davita that will let you put in  your information and give you what stage you are in and the different stages of failure.

http://www.davita.com/tools/gfr-calculator/#
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »

Interesting... he's always done something on a calcuater and said about a state.. (or percentage).  That says I'm stage 5 (10) which is what he said Tuesday...  I always thought it had other factors than Creatin but I guess not  -- I mean potassium etc. is all good...bp, etc.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 12:25:18 PM »

dw - you can find out more about what lab tests mean here http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=13394.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
shelly

Sitting in the Captains Chair Caribeann Princess

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »

DW that heading definitely got my attention!  I just started dialysis February 2009 and had my 1st fistula surgery last July 2008, it had to be redone in October 2008 and at that time my creatine was between 8 and 9 which is quite high.  The only reason I was able to go so long before starting dialysis was because the only symptoms I had were fatigue.  No swelling, or vomiting involved thank goodness. I was able to hold off until my creatin was 11.55.  I knew then I couldn't hold out any longer I was dragging.  So it really depends on how your body reacts to the toxins and fluid building up in you. If every month you see your levels going a little higher it is time to get things in place.   :cuddle;
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »

mmm I think everybody saw my post except RichardMel.... oh well!  I used that chart that BigSky sent and read the article from okarol.  My number was 10 so maybe I could wait a bit but since it is all planned I'll go ahead.  I think he(doctor) is trying to make it easy for me by starting in the hospital.  He seemed to say part of the reason was the two things  at one time.  Also, I've always had low blood platelets (idiopathic) so they need to watch that.  Once the surgery is done, I'll just lay back and order up all kinds of wonderful food.  Protein?  I've been on low protein so  long I won't know how to act.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »

Richard is in Australia and might still be asleep - the time in Melbourne is Sun 6:04 AM - right now - according to the World Clock http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »

I have all my answer anyway.  Aside from wondering about that, I thought it might be fun to harass Richard.  He seems to take it all very well.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »

Thanks for replying to my question I really appreciated this. I am in a similar situation and I understand the insecurity. IHD is really good because you get great feed-back and this allows you to get a better picture and makes you fell more confident at this very vulnerable time. good luck, we are all thinking of you. Kind regards, Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 01:45:07 PM »

Oh boy now I do not know which one to  :bow; to DW or Rich.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »

Well, just set a timer and switch off every few hours....    :rofl;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »

Well, just set a timer and switch off every few hours....    :rofl;
:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; Now there is a solution.  Naaah! Better stick to  :bow; to the man I already have.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 01:50:17 PM »

Hey, we could just rotate them since they are in different time zones.  :rofl;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »

:rofl;  :rofl;

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »

>:D   After all, Richard and I are not just pieces of meat you can throw around like that....    >:D >:D >:D

Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »

Who says you aren't?    :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 06:43:08 PM »

RichardMEL gave us a very succinct answer about what he would do if the ladies of IHD.com showed up on his doorstep.  What would YOU do?

lifenotonthelist.com

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 07:32:49 PM »

I know ... he was answering my post... I think he's bluffing.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »

DW---you are bad!!   I came here all ready to defend RichardMeltMyHeart and assure you that there are plenty of women to go around!   :rofl;    You did get my attention  :2thumbsup;         Sounds like your creatinine is going up and it really is about time to get everything in place.  It seems like you have a good relationship with your doctor and you will have to trust him to decide when the time is right.   Good news is that you are becoming a very informed patient.   :thumbup;

Made you think though didn't it  :rofl; :rofl;
Somewhat like the comedian me and kitkatz like, Gabriel Iglesies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIScMJnxBAY

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 02:46:19 AM »

LOL! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this subject headline pop up!!! LOL. Yes, looks like it started in the "wee" (no, not that sort!) hours for us and although I was woken at 4:50am by a text message (not the phone activity I wanted!) so sorry I did not get this till much later!

On the "hidden" topic here - I was very tired (like you) before I started Dialysis - I had none of those other symptoms.. but frankly I would want to start before I got that bad - do you want to feel like crap all day, nausea, throwing up etc is NOT fun... if your neph says it's time.. then it probably is.. though hey if you want a second opinion there's no problem with that.

Just to clarify my own story a little more.. the first neph I saw said "You have two years" - that is the VERY first thing he said. I can't remember exactly how much further he said after that - we were so shocked at his wonderful patient manner. NOT!!! LOL). So we were never sure if he meant I supposedly had two years to live, two years till Dialysis or what. I mean geez... and hey mate, that was in 1993 so he can stick his two years!!! Of course he just had some labs to go on so who knows... but anyway we ditched him and went to a much better doc who my mother had worked with and he accepted me and well.. yeah I lasted another 13 years which was awesome... but I was probably around GFR 30 or 40 back in 1993(I can't remember) and luckily had a very slow moving form of FSGS which perhaps they didn't realise at the initial diagnosis. Whatever.

As for my response and bluffing or not... oh well (this is for kitkatz) "Vulcans never bluff"  :rofl;

So I think YOU should answer what you would do if the girls of IHD showed up !!!!  hehehehe

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 03:27:58 AM »

I knew that you have a good sense of humor else I wouldn't have done that.  You are one of my hero's, man.  I am sure it will be, at least, another 13 years, my friend.

As for my response to kitkatz, I know i couldn't top yours.  She'll just have to wonder.  But them I am 68 years old so that should be taken into consideration.  Give me a Break!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »