I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:24:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Depression
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Depression  (Read 2907 times)
joyfulmother

Becky

« on: April 09, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »

I suppose it is normal for dialysis patients, especially in the beginning?  I guess that is how I am feeling right now.  I am so overwhelmed by it all.  My friends are telling me how brave am and that feels like a crock to me.  How can I be brave for doing what has to be done?  I'm scared to death.  I'm also having trouble finding my hope.  I'm not sure what to do about it all.

I haven't been feeling good this week but can't pinpoint any one thing - except for a poor appetite.  I'm sure not eating much would make you feel bad.  I'm also secretly afraid that maybe I'm not getting adequate dialysis with the cycler and they'll want to put me on manuals again.  Sigh.

Becky
44 years old, Christian, homeschooling mom to my boys, ages 7 & 9.
- PD Patient beginning 12/31/08
- Listed on September, 2009
- Transplant on March 28, 2010
Wallyz

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »

Yes, Dialysis can make you depressed. It is crazy making.  It happens to almost everybody on dialysis.  Get help now.   There is nothing to be ashamed of or to hide.  Your family deserves a healthier you, and you deserve to be healthier.
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »

I understand you, its not being brave or being strong. It is living.  That is all you can do. And sometimes it takes you over.  It isn't easy, it isn't fun. It effects you in every way it can.  I know depression all to well. It runs really strong in my mothers side, so I was going to face depression anyway.  But all of this has been way to much at times.  I am so sorry you are feeling like this.   just remember there is always hope.  Sometimes you lose sight of it.  But its always there.  I am so sorry you are feeling like this. Sometimes it helps just getting all your fears out and this is a perfect place to do it.  Remember we are always here for you.   :cuddle;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »

I go through spells where it all gets to me because I am stuck with this whole dialysis thing.   

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 03:16:33 AM »

This is a tough time of the year for many with depression or a tendency (at least in the northern hemisphere) because there has been so little sunlight in our days.  Does it help you to get a little sun?  Even 10 or 15 minutes a day might help you feel a little better.  If not brave, think strong.  Because even if it's something you have to do, every time you make it through and come out the other side of a challenge you are a little stronger.  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »

I think if you don't occasionally get depressed when you have a chronic illness, then you are either in denial or on really strong drugs!

There was an article on here about how they were recognizing the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder in many dialysis patients.  I can believe that - it is a shock to have to adjust to dialysis and it can be traumatic to think about what might happen.

Remember that you don't always have to be courageous and strong.  It's sometimes hard for close friends and family to deal with things, so they seem to want you to put on that "I'm being brave and coping" face.  If you haven't got at least one or two people who you can count on to listen when you tell them how you really feel, remember that you can do that here. We're good at listening.
If that's not enough, do talk to your doc or nurse.  It's okay to need help, and there are good drugs that can do that if you need them.  This stuff is very overwhelming, and if one more med can help you, then get some.

:grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »

I understand about the depression. Chronic illness is such a depressing thing to deal with so it is not surprising. On top of that, you are usually tired anyway which doesn't help. The weather is getting nicer, so maybe try regular walks in your neighborhood. Not too long so you don't wear yourself out even more. I hope there is someone you can talk to, and you always have us. Hope the severity of your depression eases up soon and that things start looking better.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »

Depression lives in my closet behind the clothing basket and next to the recycled newspapers.  He thrives on sadness and pain.  He'll sneak up on you and try to manipulate you into not taking care of yourself.  Or staying in bed all day.  Or eating an entire box of Cheez-Itz while watching an entire season of "House" on Hulu.

I find that he stays at bay when I have enough sleep and get a little exercise.  And when I actually take the time to talk to these annoying humans that seem to be blanketing the planet like a virus.

I've also discovered after five years of traumatizing treatment, he'll turn you into the youngest curmudgeon in the history of mankind.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »

Or eating an entire box of Cheez-Itz while watching an entire season of "House" on Hulu.

You say that like it's a bad thing!  I don't recall ever needing a bout of depression to eat a whole box of Cheez-Itz.   :rofl;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:05:56 PM »

Or eating an entire box of Cheez-Itz while watching an entire season of "House" on Hulu.

You say that like it's a bad thing!  I don't recall ever needing a bout of depression to eat a whole box of Cheez-Itz.   :rofl;

You wrote what we all were thinking  :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »

Or eating a bag of M and Ms watching DVDs.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »

Oh good. I'm not the only one who consumes whole packages of snacked goods while watching entire tv seasons in one sitting! Damn this evil, comfortable couch and the new anti-depressants that aren't working!!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
TeenHatesDialysis

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 11:24:39 PM »

I also feel great while eating an entire bag of M&Ms or any chocolate.  I think chocolate eases depression during consumption. However, I feel like crap when the bag is empty or the box of Cheez-its is empty.... :(  I feel much better when I get out and take a walk, visit a seniors home or homeless shelter or do something special with my kids. ;D  I am not on dialysis, but am the caregiver of a child on dialysis.  I know that the nurses run monthly blood test to ensure that the dialysis is adequately cleaning the toxins out of her blood and lowering her BUN. You should request a full blood panel to determine if you are low in vit B or D. My daughter was very deficient in Vitamin D causing her to become even more lethargic than normal with dialysis, causing more depression. It is understandable that you would be more depressed with a chronic condition that causes major life changes. Talk to your doctor about anti-depressants. You are going through a difficult situation and if anti-depressants make life more tolerable, I say TAKE A TRIPLE DOSE OF THE HAPPY PILLS!

Sending positive vibes and happy thoughts your way  :flower; :flower; :flower;

Susan, mom of Jaclyn, Deziree and Valerie

www.cotaforjaclynp.com
Jaclyn and Deziree diagnosed CKD 2/07; NPHP (type 1) 9/07
Jaclyn started dialysis 1/2/08
Successful Transplant 7/4/2009 at Lucile Packard Childrens Hospital @ Stanford, Palo Alto, CA
Deziree in denial
Jaclyn listed 5/08
Deziree listed 1/09 ("Inactive")
Jaclyn Cadaver kidney transplant 7/4/09 (Independence from dialysis day!)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:34:29 PM »

OMG! My vitamin D level is almost non-existent. And I've noticed that my depression has been getting worse. I wonder if that is why?

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 12:11:18 AM »

I suppose it is normal for dialysis patients, especially in the beginning?  I guess that is how I am feeling right now.  I am so overwhelmed by it all.  My friends are telling me how brave am and that feels like a crock to me.  How can I be brave for doing what has to be done?  I'm scared to death.  I'm also having trouble finding my hope.  I'm not sure what to do about it all.

I totally relate to the bolded sentence.  My sister said this the other day at a dinner party we were at "oh we're so proud of the attitude you have and you just get on with it and don't complain. It's so brave" - well what the hell do you expect? The options are pretty limited.

The way I see it though is that I can be depressed, sit in a corner and mope, cry "why me?" and get angry and frustrated at the crappy lot in life.... and where's that going to get me? NOWHERE!!! I prefer to be as positive about it as I can be - that doesn't mean there aren't tough times - but I like to pin my hope on the possible future transplant and hopeful more normal lifestyle I can have with that. Sure, not everbody, sadly, has that sort of option to cling to, but it's something that keeps me personally going. I make plans in my head, I think about how I'll spend that extra time I suddenly have sitting at work drinking large bottles of water !!  Oh and all the extra energy I'll have for the women of IHD!  :rofl;

Seriously though it is a massive adjustment to have in life to deal with everything that dialysis entails - and that includes getting into a stable situation with the meds and the treatment where your body has adjusted, and your mind and emotions have worked out how to live with the changes that dialysis brings. As you say you're still pretty new to Dialysis and many people go through similar feelings. I won't say it will get better or whatever - everyone is different.. but I feel you will learn to cope more with things as you settle into the routine more. I hope so anyway!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »