I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Talking to and listening. . .
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talking to and listening. . .  (Read 3456 times)
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« on: April 09, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »

I think that I'm just being a spoiled 60 y/o 314 lb brat. I just want what I want when I want it. I've been thinking that I want to go for 4 hr rather than 5 hr regardless of the reason. I want to thank so many for your response to my "I hate it" rant. I've figured out that this isn't a game; that you people seem to take dialysis seriously and are encouraging enough in the right direction. So, what I'mona do is I'm going to have'm take me off when I need to go. about 3 hr into dialysis and come back just stick it out until I'm done. :bandance;

Thank you,
hurlock
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »

Good choice! I was also going to ask if you ever do benadryl and a nap while you're there, maybe that would help. I am sorry it's been so tough for you, but making sure you're getting good dialysis will keep you around for a long time.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »

:bandance;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »

Great!  The more dialysis you get, the better you will feel, in general. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions and to go after what you need from the staff in order to meet your goals.

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

Now, that's the way to take charge of your own body!   :clap;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:25:08 AM »

I'm really encouraged to read this from you - it's a positive way to look at things. It's the way I like to act.. I do the best I can for me - even if it sucks (I am sooo thirsty right now for example :) ) but I know I need to do this stuff to do the best by myself. Sticking it out will be better for you all over and it's good to recognise that.

And yes, I take it seriously because if I didn't do it I'd be seriously not here!! :) It's certainly not a game - it smy health and that's prescious that doing the most I can to keep it in the best shape I can (which isn't much, I grant) is the least I can do for my own quality of life.

Good on you and hope you can keep it up!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:53:42 AM »

RichardMEL,

I appreciate the being thirsty part. I live in Albuquerque, NM. We have really cold, good tasting water here. (at least at my house) I have been drinking water for years, since I quit drinking beer, whiskey and wine in 1991, by the grace of God.  :thumbup; For whatever reason I am thirsty all of the time so with some practice I have learned to spit out whatever liquid I stick in my mouth, which is usually water straight from the faucet to a glass to my mouth. For a while, I bought water, Dasani, Aquafina, Arrowhead, etc, just to make it easy to know how much water I was drinking, but I found myself drinking more water because I couldn't bring myself to spit it out I think because subconsciously I thought that I had paid for it so it would be silly to spit out something I paid for. (or something like that) I DO drink coffee in the morning to promote peristalsis. (bowel movement) I don't really know if that really works 'cause I never don't drink coffee for that purpose. But as far as the thirst goes, if I don't put some water in my mouth, every so often, I am being tortured. :thumbdown;.
As far as what I find in your signature file, I had a friend that had ESRD, she didn't have to go to dialysis very long 'til  her mother offered her a kidney. She got the kidney, from the steroids, a fairly pretty girl became a monster, because of her temperment, and her face blew up like an over ripe mellon, and she threw the kidney, and her mother died from complications, and she died from complications. As far as me asking someone else to go threw the ordeal of giving me a kidney, even my brother or sister, I couldn't do it. I don't think that I would allow it even if they had offered. That's just me. I'm not saying that somebody else shouldn't ask. It could be that I'm afaid that the same thing that happened to my friend would happen to me. So, I think that I will just keep going to dialysis, and spitting out my water and trying to do a better job at spitting out my water. . .
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »

Here's to spitting a pint!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:59 AM »

I have been doing a bit of spitting lately also (sounds so digsuting! LOL) - sometimes all you need IS to wet the inside of your mouth - it does help. Although I used to drink 2+ litres of water (not counting other drinks) a day so that was difficult to get down to 1l for everything. Sometimes I DREAM about that long cold water!!!! LOL....

One day... it will be mine again.... my prescious !!!!!! (insert Gollum here)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »