I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 01:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Morning after -- second thoughts
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morning after -- second thoughts  (Read 9288 times)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »

Yesterday I came home fron the doctor's office feeling pretty confident about the decisions make.  This morning in the light of a brand new day, I'm having second thoughts.  Because of timing, he intends to put in both a fistala and a cather and start the dialysis right away (while in the hospital).  Have you ever heard of getting both at the same time?  This morning I'm feelin queasy about that.   He did say 1. that he'd remove the cather when the fistala heals and that 2. because of my general health conditions that I will most likely do well with dialysis (which is why he didn't want to postpone it until  the fistala was ready.)

Should  I just say go for it and get it all over with?  Does this sound weird to anyone?

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »

DW the cath is just temporary unitl the fistula heals.  You must need D soon this is the only reason he would put the neck cath in. IMO

Its natural to have second thoughts.  But he must feel you dont have the three months it takes for the fistula to heal.  Thus he wants to start you now. WHile the fistula is healing.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:08 AM »

It sounds ok to me - you'll be knocked out and they can do both - rather than scheduling 2 different surgeries. But I am confused - did you say you have to stay IN the hospital for a week? Most fistula and chest catheter surgeries are out-patient. And so is the dialysis, unless it's on an emergency basis (Jenna was given a chest catheter and 2 days of dialysis back to back because her kidneys crashed over a weekend.)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »

It sounds ok to me - you'll be knocked out and they can do both - rather than scheduling 2 different surgeries. But I am confused - did you say you have to stay IN the hospital for a week? Most fistula and chest catheter surgeries are out-patient. And so is the dialysis, unless it's on an emergency basis (Jenna was given a chest catheter and 2 days of dialysis back to back because her kidneys crashed over a weekend.)

It is not unusual for the catheter and fistula to be placed at the same time.  As okarol stated, it is probably easier on you to have both surgeries done at the same time rather than scheduling a second one later.  The catheter will be used until the fistula is ready.  Because fistulas take a little while to heal and become ready for use, the sooner you have it done, the sooner you can use it and get rid of the catheter. 

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »

Yes that's what I said.  It was strange to me too.  Dr. Olivero is a young go  getter and he may be wanting to use me fpr experiments.  (????)  It also may have something to do with low blood platelets... but he wants to give me the first three treatments in the hospital with him being there.  Is that really strange?  Maybe it has something to do with my age?  Or my being a little clumbsy?  Should I ask more?  He said he was sure I'd do well if I start immediately due to general health conditions and good nutrition.  I don't know?

But I did ask for the room (suite) that Barbara Bush just vacated... any thought I'll get it???  I think the response amounted to a NO.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
David13
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:29 AM »

Yes that's what I said.  It was strange to me too.  Dr. Olivero is a young go  getter and he may be wanting to use me fpr experiments.  (????)  It also may have something to do with low blood platelets... but he wants to give me the first three treatments in the hospital with him being there.  Is that really strange?  Maybe it has something to do with my age?  Or my being a little clumbsy?  Should I ask more?  He said he was sure I'd do well if I start immediately due to general health conditions and good nutrition.  I don't know?

But I did ask for the room (suite) that Barbara Bush just vacated... any thought I'll get it???  I think the response amounted to a NO.

I think if there is any confusion or question in your mind as to the reason for ANY aspect of your care, you should ask about it.  Any competent physician will not be offended by a reasonable question.  I am not sure why he would want to keep you in the hospital for a week, but if there is a good reason, he shouldn't be afraid to tell you what it is.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:59:13 AM by David13 » Logged

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »

hahaha at least you still have a sense of humor.. I saw Barbara and George at the Astros game last night... Good to see her out and about...  On another note: I hear that having both done at the same time is normal.. Keeping you is rare but you know this is all going to be NEW to you so at least you will have someone to help you that first week.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »

Actually David .ng. word,  I feel much more secure in the hospital.  I believe the reasoning he expressed was because he was going to have both things done at one time...  and also to the the dialysis center involved up front (they too are associated with Methodist hospital).  My concern was just how expensive it would be (to  some insurance companies not to me) but do I really care?  I should!

swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:12:34 AM »

I had a catheter and the first part of the fistula done together. The next day I had my last kidney removed and stayed in the hospital (obviously) to recover from the kidney surgery (full abdominal). I started dialysis the day after surgery in the hospital. A few months later the vascular surgeon lifted the fistula in my arm to the surface.

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »

I wish I had my nephrologist by my side during those first hemodialysis sessions.
You're in good hands, my friend.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
David13
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 09:28:19 AM »

Actually David .ng. word,  I feel much more secure in the hospital.  I believe the reasoning he expressed was because he was going to have both things done at one time...  and also to the the dialysis center involved up front (they too are associated with Methodist hospital).  My concern was just how expensive it would be (to  some insurance companies not to me) but do I really care?  I should!

That is great.  It seemed that you were asking us for possible explanations for the hospital stay.  It is definitely not a bad option.  As long as you are happy with it and the reaons for it, that is all that matters.   :2thumbsup;

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »

actually my concern was about doing them both at the same time... as I said, yesterday I felt quite confident about the decision, but is is ONE day closer. 

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »

dwcrawford, have them both done. My husband had a new catheter and a graft place at the same time. Knocked out 1 time and the catheter was used until the spot where the graft was placed had time to heal. Then they pulled the catheter out with just some numbing stuff. He said it wasn't too bad. Let us know what you decide.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »

dwcrawford, have them both done. My husband had a new catheter and a graft place at the same time. Knocked out 1 time and the catheter was used until the spot where the graft was placed had time to heal. Then they pulled the catheter out with just some numbing stuff. He said it wasn't too bad. Let us know what you decide.  :cuddle;

Too Bad?   How bad is TOO BAD??  I'm a wussy.  No, I'm going to do it like the doctor said.  Doesn't mean I won't be worried a bout it however.

swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »

I said I had both done together. No different than having one done. I was under full anesthesia - I wouldn't have known the difference. It was better than going under twice. Why do two separate surgeries when you can have both done in one? There are no additional complications because you have them done at the same time. The catheter is a simple straight forward procedure. As a matter of fact, I had mine replaced with only a locat anesthetic because I didn't have a ride. I wouldn't recommend that. Very strange feeling.

What, specifically, is your concern about doing both together?

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »

My father had them both put in at the same time.  And he also had to stay in hospital for a while. They wanted to make sure he had a couple treatments before he was sent home.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 10:08:50 AM »

I always have second thoughts after I feel good talking to a doctor -
it is like the morning comes around and you face reality again -
I think you should do it both at one time -
the cath will help you live until your fistula is ready -
enjoy the time on dialysis with having two free hands

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »

Hey Twirl... where you been?  Yes, it will be fine.  I just have to stop worrying about all the little things.

Is your twirler lady nekkid?

Anybody know the difference between Naked and Nekkid?

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »

Too Bad?   How bad is TOO BAD??  I'm a wussy.  No, I'm going to do it like the doctor said.  Doesn't mean I won't be worried a bout it however.

Len said when they pulled the catheter that he felt a pulling sensation and then it was over with. You will be just find and being nervous is very normal. I'm like that with the dentist.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Wallyz

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »

I had em both at the same time.  That may be scary, but it beats having a catheter longer.  Surgery makes me nervous, but catheter infections scare the crap outta me.  Get you  a fistula as quick as you can.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »

Anybody know the difference between Naked and Nekkid?

If you're in the shower by yourself, you are naked.  If you have company, that's nekkid!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:09 PM »

Wellllllllll....if you want PM me and I will give Great detail on how much everything hurt etc...NOT...but even so I am much more a wussy than you ever thought of being and THAT my friend is the gospel truth.  I actually asked the Dr to put me to sleep before taking out the catheter and then I had the nerve to ask him if he was done when he was standing there holding it...but that's me.    :rofl;
You will be fine..use that week to ask anyone and everyone questions about the dialysis..those hospital nurses give more info than anyone I know.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »

hehe.  this came from and old TV show called Designing  Women.

Naked means you don't have any clothes on.
Neekid means you don't have any clothes on and you are up to something.

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »

oh my g-ma, we'd make a team...by the way, how big is the cather?

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »

I truly believe mine was about 10 feet long and mmmm at least an inch in diameter.... :rofl;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »