I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 11:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What do you do whilst on dialysis?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do whilst on dialysis?  (Read 6433 times)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 07:02:11 AM »

I'm sure I'll do whatever the surgeon says to do.  How often does the first one not work?  I don't want to go through this more than one time.   

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 07:05:15 AM »

I have no idea about stats of such things. Mine's been fine for well.. I've had it for nearly 5 years (in use for nearly 3) and no problems.. but I have seen others clot and fail on patients... so while they are the best form of access for dialysis things can and do happen.. but you shouldn't be paranoid about that aspect so much as just being aware that fistula placement is important and giving as many options as possible is the best idea "just in case" - hopefully you only ever have to use the one (that's what I hope too!)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »

I pretty much wasn't given a choice where I wanted my fistula (which ended up being a graft). When they did the vein mapping, it turned out my veins were kind of crappy. I had two options--the only two spots that looked good enough to use were in my right hand wrist or in my left forearm. I am right handed, so the surgeon said no to that side, so my only real option was my left forearm. Once he got me in surgery and opened up, my veins weren't even good enough for a fistula, so I ended up with a graft. So, as you can see, you may not even get a choice.

As for not being able to use the arm if you have a forearm access, that probably depends on your clinic. My clinic just tapes my needles in really well, gives me a lot of slack in the tubing and clips the tubes to my shirt so that I can use both arms freely. I never set off the alarms or kink the lines.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 05:48:11 PM »

How about this blanket for dialysis?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »

he is going to put my fistala in the left arm right at the bend.   I think he said it would run across rather than up and down (not sure about that).  Veins in forearm are too tiny.  Ones in upper arms would be good but he wants to "start" with the mid arm.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »

My scar is across the arm in the inner bend of the elbow, that's where they joined the vein to the artery but the vein develops up the arm and I have a good 7 inches or so that is usable.

Good luck with yours dwc.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

How about this blanket for dialysis?

kk- That's just creepy!!   :o

My scar is across the arm in the inner bend of the elbow, that's where they joined the vein to the artery but the vein develops up the arm and I have a good 7 inches or so that is usable.

Good luck with yours dwc.

Mine is too. My vein and artery were actually attached on the inside of the bend in my arm (and that's where the scar is as well), and my access actually accessed in my forearm.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »