I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 08:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is a stress test safe at this point
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is a stress test safe at this point  (Read 5031 times)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« on: March 31, 2009, 05:27:19 AM »

I have to do a stress test as a last test to be placed on the waiting list.
Lately i have been having a HARD time doing small things.  I bought a new Temperpedic mattress and about died moving it with help from truck to my bedroom.  Out of breath for a good amount of time after the move.
What does a stress test consists of?  And can i stop if im feeling sick or short of breath.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 06:42:25 AM »

Talk to your Transplant Team, you do not have to do the typical running on a treadmill stress test.  You can do the Nuclear Stress test where they inject a dye into you through IV to speed up your heart.  Rob has this done each year because like you, he gets winded easily.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:07:10 AM »

Thank you i will discuss this option with the transplant team.

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:32:02 AM »

I did a treadmill stress test the first year to get on the "list".  The next year,I couldn't get through it, so they scheduled the Nuclear stress test.  I didn't think it was bad at all. Getting ready to have my third one next month.  Talk to your co-ordinator.  They will work with you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:57 AM »

My transplant team automatically orders a doubutamine stress test, on the assumption that a dialysis patient won't be able to run on the treadmill.  The drug makes your heart race enough for them to get the pics they want.  You get an IV, they take the echos of your heart at rest, then they push the drug, and repeat the test.  You don't even have to get off the table, although they did have me squeezing a ball and kicking my legs a bit just to get the heart rate fast enough at the end of the test.

The drug push is kind of a funky feeling.  I did the regular treadmill test this year, instead of the drug version.  That felt better, but was a lot sweatier!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »

I got a letter in the mail today re: appointment for stress test next Wednesday.  They say to schedule 3-4 hours to do the test.  Lots of hurry up and wait.  First an IV with a tracer solution is started.  Then wait an hour before scans of heart are taken.  Then dobutamine or adenosine is injected to mimic exercise.  Wait another hour, then a second set of scans are taken. The scans take approx. 15 minutes each.  It isn't bad.  I feel pressure but no pain or discomfort.   The scans are similar to a CT.  I guess my center does that instead of echos.  You would think they would all be the same, but I guess that would be too simple!   Hope you find the right answer for you, Paul.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 06:11:42 AM »

Thank you for your input.

Hopefully they will give me the tests like you had done Paris.

I thought i heard the Dye was bad for Kidney patients??  Or am i thinking of a diffent dye and test.

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:35:17 AM »

Marvin has had numerous stress tests done over the years, and he has to have the "nuclear" type done.  They inject something in him that speeds up his heart and then they can take all the pictures they want.  This saves him from having to walk on the treadmill.  Marvin has never had any side effects from the injection.

He says you will feel warm all over for a few minutes, then you'll feel your heart rate going high.  After that, nothing at all.

Of course, after he has one of these I tease him and tell him he'll glow in the dark for three days!!  :rofl;
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »

Thank you for your input.

Hopefully they will give me the tests like you had done Paris.

I thought i heard the Dye was bad for Kidney patients??  Or am i thinking of a diffent dye and test.

I had the adenosine stress test done a few months ago. It was nothing. The adenosine is not actually a dye, but rather a chemical tha makes your heart simulate exercise. They do use a dye to get the pre- and post images, but they use such a finite amount that it won't affect the kidneys.

I ended up getting a massive headache and throwing up shortly after getting the adenosine. The nurse said I was their first patient to ever get sick from it! I wasn't surprised though. Everything makes me throw up!  :puke;   ;D

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »

Paul, had my third one yesterday so thought I would post while it is fresh in my mind.  My doctors listed the side effects and headaches is #1 because the chemical dilates all the blood vessels, so it isn't unusual to get a headache.  I throw up when I am in pain, so sometimes headaches and vomiting go hand in hand for me.  Sneezing during the process is normal. Isn't that a strange side effect?  The injection of the chemical and stimulating the heart rate, for me, was exactly 6 minutes.  They count it down for you, keeping you informed so you know exactly where you are in the process.  When they stop the meds, you take a few deep breaths and blow them out--it helps in quickly feeling normal.  There is a lot of pressure during it. I do deep breathing exercises through it and although it isn't the best feeling in the world, it isn't bad.  My blood doesn't clot quickly, so they warned me if I started bleeding after I left, to remember that my blood was slightly radioactive for a few hours and to dispose of bandages, etc accordingly.    To sum it up: 1st an iv, then the nuclear injection for the scans. 2nd, you wait about 30 minutes then have first set of scans (about 20 minutes and similar to a CT)  3rd, about 45 minutes free to eat something.  4th, lay on bed, get adenosine injected and done in a few minutes.  5th, have second set of scans (less time than the first).  I was there at 8:30 and done at 12:30.  Some of that is wait time.  Hurry up and wait. All in all, not bad but glad it is done.  Wish I had known step by step what to have expected the first time.   Let us know how the discussion with your co-ordinator goes.  And good luck!  Your almost done with all the tests!  :thumbup;

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »

Thank you paris and everyone else who had input.

Almost feel like running on the treadmil but i know i wouldnt last lol.

May i ask why you had to do three?  Im quessing cause you have been on the list awhile....

Radioactive blood you say.  I may get superpowers yet.

thx
P&K

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »

Been on the list since Nov. '05, so once a year I go through the main tests again.  Yippee!!  Lucky me!!    The nurse told me they have a geiger counter in case  there is a blood spill.  They have a special spray to clean the blood up with and then have to check the levels of radiation.  Cool, huh?   :rofl;     I think you have superpowers already, Paul.  :cuddle;  You are almost through the testing process and that takes superpowers just to handle all you have been through.

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »

Stress test tomorrow morning.
Thx again for all your input.

If i pass i will be put on two tx lists. :2thumbsup;
Then on the 10th i have a consult for a PD access.  My function has fallen to 11%.....  See my neph on the 8th and the nurse said i may get a epo shot?? wanted to know if i could give myself a shot.  never have but sure i can.  Till she said in my stomach  :banghead; then she said or my thigh  ahhhhh...

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »

The stomach is no problem. It actually hurts less than anywhere else.  First time they aimed the needle at my stomach, I cringed, but nothing!    Sounds so much worse than it is.   I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  Good luck.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

Giving yourself an epo shot is very easy and pretty close to painless.  You just squeeze a bit of fat, push in the tiny needle, let go the fat, inject the solution and that's it.  Oh yeah, wipe first with an alcohol swab.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »

Talk to your Transplant Team, you do not have to do the typical running on a treadmill stress test.  You can do the Nuclear Stress test where they inject a dye into you through IV to speed up your heart.  Rob has this done each year because like you, he gets winded easily.
I'm taking a stress test next week myself.

I'm not afraid of what running will do to my heart.
I'm afraid I will be unable to run.  The high PTH and hyperparathyroidism sucked calcium out of the bones in my feet, so I still have significant discomfort when I try to run.  I can do a fast walk though.

I am much better now than I was before I started dialysis and treatment.  Back then, I could barely walk up stairs, and had trouble even getting into a car.  That's gone, but it looks like long walks or running are going to make my feet hurt into the indefinite future.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »