I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:16:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I can clean my kidneys, but not my teeth???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I can clean my kidneys, but not my teeth???  (Read 3831 times)
girliekick

« on: March 26, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

I am scared when I go to the dentist they will take out my front bottom teeth.

What a vain thing to talk about, girl, my body image issues run real sensitive right now.

This is the last thing I need to do in my pre transplant work up.

wash my mouth out with soap and Im on the list.

But I am scared.

Its been 8yrs since Ive been to the DDS.

Thanks for listening, any advice is appreciated

Girl

-Christmas '03 get news of esrd
-June '08 start hemo
-Thanksgiving '08 pd surg
-Feb '09 Stop hemo and manual exchanges
... start cycler
Setp 3 '09 On UNOS list (27th b day)
Dec 09 peritonitis
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »

hello girliekick
        That trip to the dentist should be the least of your worries as it was for mine, part of my pre op work-up i had to have 8 removed
 which was i was referred to an oral surgeon, and went for 3 visits to have them removed!  I knew after that was done i was cleared for surgery and no more dialysis. The numbing techniques they have today you never know they stick you and they are done b4 you know it. At first visit i had 2 removed 2nd visit 3 and 3rd visit 3 and each time had taken 20mins or less! On my last visit one of my teeth had abscess and would not take numbing so the DDS pulled it anyways still wasn't that bad. I am glad i had all that taken care of b4 surgery. So go on and have the teeth removed and forget about it and look forward to a new  lease on life with your new kidney. Dont get me wrong that post  transplant isn't easy either ,gets better over time. Best of luck! hope all goes well for you! God Bless!!!   Chris73  PS. As for the body images i believe you can over come that issue...stay strong! :cuddle;
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:18:26 PM by chris73 » Logged

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »

Hi Chris! I hope all goes well.  :grouphug;
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »

Question....if no dental insurance who pays for dental work pre transplant?

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »

Dental health is very important specially for transplantees as I understand this is one of the main ways viruses, bacteria and other nasties enter the system and can cause you no end of trouble due to supressed immune systems. So yeah it might suck as a thought to have those teeth out, if that is what you require, but if you want the transplant to have the best chance of success, and thus a longer time for you away from dialysis.. well. you have to (ahem pardon the pun) grin and bear it IMHO.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
girliekick

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:27:22 AM »

Thank you all-

The transplant center will pay for required work. at medicare rates.

Maybe I am just scared. I have become a much more timid person over the past few months. Scared of change. Scared of complication. of many many things. Scared of testing donors. Scared of the whole process.

I know is seems vain and superficial, I really miss having that feeling of being able to do and handle anything.

Thanks for all the support. Im going to try and make an appointment today.

Dive in the deep end ...... and SMILE...

Chris thanks for sharing, I think the thing that makes it such a big worry for me is adjusting to a new mouth, its been one thing on my body that has stayed pretty consistant.  :cuddle;

Girl

-June '08 start hemo
... start cycler
Dec 09 peritonitis
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »

I felt the same way. It was like I was the same person on the outside, but my life was completely out of control. I do alot with my hair color, nothing drastic, just because I can control that. Explain how you feel to the dentist. If the person is a true dental professional, they will try to calm your fears. Hopefully it won't be as bad as you fear. Even though I work as an assistant in a dental clinic, I get scared when I am in the chair.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »

I think we can understand the "not in control" feeling.  It isn't fun.  But, take Chris' advice and just get it over with.  Look toward the end result.  We are here for you.      :secret;  Don't I sound fearless?  I have to go to the dentist for my annual retests to stay on the list. I avoided making the call all day!  Taking a deep breath---I will do it tomorrow. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

Dont get me wrong i about the biggest chicken as they come when it comes going to the dentist.  I was looking forward to my new lease on life and i was willing to do WHATEVER it takes to get off dialysis! Best of luck girliekick..you will do fine through all this ,if i can do it you can too. and paris dont put off anything that will keep you off the list...Git-R- Done...God Bless!! Chris

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 07:00:11 PM »

I have to go to the dentist due to pain I am having and I am sure I have to have teeth pulled. My bone health has deteriorated post transplant and I haven't seen a dentist since pre transplant many years ago and have always hated going. I am vain to about my teeth and all I can think of is possible bad redneck jokes waiting to happen with missing side teeth. Since I do not have dental insurance, no replacements or cosmetic work can be done. On top of that all my dental surgeries need to be done within a year due to new medication I am taking for my bones..

We are all vain to some degree, more or less than others.

Good Luck.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
girliekick

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »

:cheer:

Thank you all. It helps tremendously.

I did make a call, But the girl was so rude, and wouldn't try to answer my questions about payment. So I called my brother (who is really into teeth, for some reason) and he said he would do some research where I live and help me pick a dentist. and he said if that doesn't work he thinks I should go to my home town (apx 1hr away) and see my childhood dentist since I know everyone there.

Baby steps

Dive in the deep end ...... and SMILE...

Girl

PS I'm from the south maybe its a redneck-a-phobia..... Get er done :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:00:41 AM by girliekick » Logged

-June '08 start hemo
... start cycler
Dec 09 peritonitis
coldautumn

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »

I understand your concern about missing teeth. Unfortunately in many societies, teeth (or the lack there of) can be a cause of many jokes. But what is more important is your health. Having a complete set of teeth is great, but you won't need it if you have failing health. So, keep your chin up...you have been through worse.  ;D

Dentist Covina
Dental Costa Mesa
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 11:04:22 PM »

But to bad teeth and regular health insurance do not coinside with each other when it comes to our health. After going to the dentist and oral surgeon, there is no way I can afford that out of pocket even with their so called payment plan (have to pay  in full in 2 months). Disability Income and Medicare do not help when dental work is needed ven when health maybe at risk (according to what dentist and surgeon have found).

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »

Oh gosh I feel for you.  I would also be really concerned about losing teeth.  However, way better now than later eh?  Thinking of you.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 05:52:36 AM »

I have had lots of problems with pain in my teeth lately.  I realllllly need to go to the dentist!  I don't want teeth pulled tho.... However, I'll do what I got to do......

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »

I would encourage everyone to invest in a really good rechargeable toothbrush...I like the Braun, Professional Care series, with a built in timer (3 full minutes).  I also use a sulcabrush morning and night around gums or hard to reach spots and try to floss once a day.  I also go to the dentist every 6 months and consider this a priority although it sure is expensive.  I have however managed to avoid any serious problems and I take a medication called Dilantin that causes real havoc with the gums.  My dentist impressed on me a long time ago that poor dental health can cause a to of trouble.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »

Hi girliekick,

I think most people can understand not wanting to go to the dentist. I need to go as part of my eval, also, and your post inspired me to just get it over with and make the appointment. I am driving over half an hour to go to this dentist, so I would say if you already know and trust a dentist, an hour drive is worth it since this is usually just a twice a year issue.

As for payment, do you have medicare? I can't promise this is accurate, but I read that if you need a check-up for the purposes of a kidney transplant, that medicare will cover it.

I am with you about being scared! It has been a long time since I've been to the dentist, too, and the last time I went, I came down with a vicious case of strep two hours after the appointment. I am trying to get advice from my doctors on how best to avoid that happening again.

We can do this!!!   :cheer:

Good luck to you!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »