I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:14:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Essay Contest: "What Helps You Live a Joyful Life in Spite of Kidney Disease?"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Essay Contest: "What Helps You Live a Joyful Life in Spite of Kidney Disease?"  (Read 11241 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 20, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »

2009 KidneyTimes.com Essay Contest: "What Helps You Live a Joyful Life in Spite of Kidney Disease?"
Entries are due by August 31.

First Prize  $500
Second Prize  $300
Third Prize  $100
    and
 a Special Prize for the best Spanish language essay $100

OFFICIAL RULES

1. HOW TO ENTER: Compose an essay of no more than 750 words with the theme: “What Helps You Live a Joyful Life in Spite of Kidney Disease?"

Include with your essay a separate piece of paper with your complete name, address, and phone number, as well as e-mail address if applicable. Limit one entry per person. All entries will become the sole property of the Renal Support Network and will not be returned.

All entries must be postmarked by 8/31/2009 at 12:00 PM (ET).

Entries can be mailed to:

KidneyTimes Essay Contest
Renal Support Network
1311 N. Maryland Ave.
Glendale, CA 91207

or faxed to: 818-244-9540

or emailed to: essay@rsnhope.org.

No purchase necessary, but you must be diagnosed with chronic kidney disease in order to participate in the essay contest.

2. JUDGING: All essays will be judged based on the following criteria: 
50% - Appropriateness to Contest Theme
25% - Originality and Creativity
25% - Technicality (grammar, spelling, accurate explanation of the disease condition and/or treatment)

In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest score in "Originality and Creativity" will be selected as the winner.

The winner will be notified by phone and/or mail.

3. PRIZE:

First Prize         $500
Second Prize   $300
Third Prize        $100
Special Prize for the best Spanish language essay $100

4. GENERAL RULES: Open only to people who have been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Renal Support Network, advertising and promotion agencies, and their immediate family members and/or those living in same household are not eligible. No substitution or transfer of prize permitted by winner. All federal, state, and local taxes are sole responsibility of winners. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.

The winners must execute an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability and Publicity within 10 days after receipt of same, certifying that entry is his/her own original essay. Non-compliance within this time period may result in disqualification and an alternate will be selected. In the event that a minor wins the grand prize, the minor's parent or legal guardian must sign the required paperwork on behalf of the minor.

All entries must be original works that have never been previously published, and must not infringe on any third party rights. By entering the contest, the entrant gives the Renal Support Network the right to use, edit, or publish the entry without further compensation. The winning entrants assign all copyrights to Renal Support Network.

By entering the contest and/or accepting a prize, entrant grants permission to sponsors and their agencies to use winners names and/or likeness for purposes of advertising/trade, without further compensation to entrant unless prohibited by law.  Prizes are non-transferable. By accepting prize, winner agrees to hold Renal Support Network, their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns, harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of use of prize. Winner assumes all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this promotion or use/redemption of any prize.

Entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. Renal Support Network is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest or in the announcement of the prizes. Renal Support Network is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated or illegible entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. The winner's names will be made available after 09/26/09. 

Last updated March 2009
http://www.kidneytimes.com/article.php?id=20070601195519

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:10:01 AM »

I can't enter because I have nothing joyful to write about.  The only time I ever feel anything is when they stick the needles.  Its the pain that reminds me I'm still alive.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:12:29 AM »

Sorry Stacy. Maybe they should have left out joyful.  :cuddle;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:35:25 AM »

I tend to agree that the title is somewhat unfortunate.  Joyful=full of joy...now that's a stretch for anyone I would think.  Meaningful, OK...acceptable, yeah...worthwhile, I get that...but Joyful might have to wait for PollyAnna's entry.

PS.  Canadians aren't eligible.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »

I am in a joy filled mood today---not every day, but today I am alive, the birds are singing, the sun is shining and it is Spring.  I watched my sister-in-law die slowly from cancer and through all the pain, she still had joy in her heart.  I guess "joy" and "joyful" can mean different things to each of us.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »

"Living each day as if it were your last."

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
cheesefania

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »

I am definitely going to enter this contest.  I guess I must be a Pollyanna, because I am able to find joy quite readily in spite of my situation.  To put it simply, I try to focus on what I have, rather than what I don't.  I can't necessarily account for my attitude, except that it is a product of my life experience and knowledge gained, which is unique to me, so it can be difficult to relate my mindset to others.  But I can't be the only one who takes this outlook..can I?  I guess if I am, it'll be an easy $500!

"Joy in spite of everything; joy because of everything." - Tom Robbins
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:07:02 AM »

I am definitely going to enter this contest.  I guess I must be a Pollyanna, because I am able to find joy quite readily in spite of my situation.  To put it simply, I try to focus on what I have, rather than what I don't.  I can't necessarily account for my attitude, except that it is a product of my life experience and knowledge gained, which is unique to me, so it can be difficult to relate my mindset to others.  But I can't be the only one who takes this outlook..can I?  I guess if I am, it'll be an easy $500!

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:16:52 AM »

I hope no one thinks that I'm unable to find "joy" in spite of kidney disease.  I have a lot of joy in my life and it comes from many things.  I'm just not able to find it always.  However, I also think that this would be true for all people in all situations.  I also believe that contrasting states are what make us human.  Can we really know what joy is without sadness, pleasure without pain and so on?   At this very moment for example I'm worried about a fever that keeps fluctuating up and down and has been for a week.  I don't feel joyful at all, I feel concerned and worried and to pretend otherwise would be completely inauthentic.  I also think that it's essential to be in the present moment in our lives and to learn how to recognize the feelings that we're experiencing. 
Life is a rollercoaster but I sure don't want to get off.  I agree with cheesefania that happiness comes far less from having what you want than from wanting what you have.

I hope many people will enter the contest and I'd love to read some of the entries.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:21:23 AM »

I am in a joy filled mood today---not every day, but today I am alive, the birds are singing, the sun is shining and it is Spring.  I watched my sister-in-law die slowly from cancer and through all the pain, she still had joy in her heart.  I guess "joy" and "joyful" can mean different things to each of us.

I personally believe this to be an important comment in this discussion:  ". . .'joy' and 'joyful' can mean different things to each of us."

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »

This essay is on "Kidney Disease" and where you are at.... might mean different joy.

Paris is not on dialysis and Monrein has a transplant.  BOTH would be joyful to me.

The meaning of "Joy" may have to do with the preception of where you have been. 

It would be like having an essay on "Marriage" and having people write who have never been married or those who have been through a messy divorce and those who are in the honeymoon stage.

It is all perception on what you have experienced.

First I would have to define joy and any joy I can remember happened when I was OFF dialysis.

I agree with Stacy.  My paper would be blank.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:23:41 AM »

It says "Kidney disease" not only if you are on dialysis or have a transplant.  Since my diagnosis, I have lost my job, Mother and Mother in law have  died, sister in law died, another diagnosed wtih breast cancer, brother in law diagnosed with liver failure. two children gone   through painful divorces, husband had to give up his career---the list goes on and on. All in a 3-4 year span.  So, I wonder what makes the difference in views on life?  Glass half full, half empty?  I don't know.     The article says "open to those diagosed with chronic kidney disease".  Will the article not be as meaningful if you havent' started dialysis yet?     Thanks to Okarol for posting the article.  I am looking forward to reading "cheesefnia"s article--- :2thumbsup; 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »

Thanks to Okarol for posting the article.  I am looking forward to reading "cheesefnia"s article--- :2thumbsup;

I only expect a 10% cut of the winnings!  :thumbup;

Beth35

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

I would be joyful if I won the prize money.  That is the only real joy I was able to come up with when thinking of kidney disease.  I too think it all depends on where you are in your journey. 

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »

I think my letter predialysis, Transplant and dialysis would all 3 be very different letters.

I've lost both my mother and sister (age 44) to cancer.  I, myself, have been through a messy divorce.  I've lost my job due to dialysis, and had to move to a dumpy apartment,  My niece is having her 11th surgery on her face today at Children's hospital, My sister is going through her son's bad divorce, my friend is having her lymth nodes taken out of her leg today due to cancer.  Look!  We all have crap.  Do I think a letter would be different predilaysis vs. dialysis......damn right I do.  Try to imagine yourself taking everyother day and throwing it away sitting in a chair getting the life sucked out of you so you can live 3 more days.  Just add that little task to your daily schedule.

BIG difference predialysis vs. conventional hemodialysis.  HUGE

I too thank Karol for her observance to detail and to this site.  I would give you the "cut" If I win.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »

Rerun, I know we all face so much daily.  Are you angry that all kidney patients haven't had to experience full blown failure to even begin to understand?   I am sorry if I have upset you with my comments.   Much has to do with attitude with life in general.   I can't be upset or angry everyday.  I look to Rolando for an example of how I want to live---he is full of adventure and zest.  So, that is my  :twocents;   Yes, I still have the "d" to look forward to.   There isn't any comparison --- we are all in the same boat - some just a little further along than others.   And some have completed the journey.  I am not ready to end mine yet.  Again, I am sorry if I upset you.   Thankfully, we have this site for voice our differences.

Anyone else thinking of entering the contest?  It will be interesting to see the submitted stories.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 11:57:29 AM »

Happiness is so overrated!  :rofl;

I think even non-ESRD patients could have a tough time being joyful - life has ups and downs - different challenges for every person - I am not happy all the time, but I don't expect to be. But I cannot compare myself to ESRD patients.

I think some patients have a tougher time on dialysis - it doesn't affect everyone the same way. Finding happiness (or being joyful) while living life with ESRD is partly health related, partly emotional - and for the most part luck, I think.

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »

I think the big differnce at least for me was before i found this site.

I was just gonna do what i was told to do when i was told to do it.  What did i know.

I agree with both Rerun and Paris.  I am sure there is a hugh differnce predialysis and actualy doing dialysis.  But also we are all in the same boat.  With the same or close to the same goal.

This site has been a godsend to me.  I have learned SO MUCH and have even SO MUCH more to learn.  But i feel like i am in control now where as before i was just a pawn in a game.  Being told where to go and what to do.

I dont need any essay or prize to know i have already won just by finding this site.
Thank you all.  Even the ones who dont care for me.  I still learn from you  ;D

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »

I think the big differnce at least for me was before i found this site.

I was just gonna do what i was told to do when i was told to do it.  What did i know.

I agree with both Rerun and Paris.  I am sure there is a hugh differnce predialysis and actualy doing dialysis.  But also we are all in the same boat.  With the same or close to the same goal.

This site has been a godsend to me.  I have learned SO MUCH and have even SO MUCH more to learn.  But i feel like i am in control now where as before i was just a pawn in a game.  Being told where to go and what to do.

I dont need any essay or prize to know i have already won just by finding this site.
Thank you all.  Even the ones who dont care for me.  I still learn from you  ;D

Hey Paul - There's a good start to your essay right there!
Joyful living through an online support forum!
I dare ya to write it!

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »

Anyone else thinking of entering the contest?  It will be interesting to see the submitted stories.

I'm entering my own contest instead.   :o

I make films.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »

Yeah? What's the prize?

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

Yeah? What's the prize?

A night alone.    ::)

I make films.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

Awww I have that every night  :rofl;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 01:21:57 PM »

I thought he was gonna offer a night with the Renalist. . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »

a night alone - alone  ? or a night alone with you
and what do I have to write about :waiting;

what is renalist?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »