I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Dialysis doesn’t end travel
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis doesn’t end travel  (Read 1538 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 18, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »

Dialysis doesn’t end travel
Sevier clinics can treat Smokies visitors with a little advance planning

By Kristi L. Nelson (Contact)
Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Every few months, Dawn Barcomb comes from Slidell, La., to her Smoky Mountains cabin to hike and breathe the mountain air.

When Barcomb went into kidney failure in 2004, she saw no reason for that to change. It just meant extra planning — and lost time — to fit in dialysis sessions an hour or more away.

But in January, Barcomb started getting some of that time back. Fresenius Medical Care opened a dialysis clinic near Fort Sanders Sevier Medical Center, about 20 minutes from her cabin.

“When I went on dialysis, I did not want to just sit and do nothing,” said Barcomb, who also skis and takes cruises on a ship with on-board dialysis. “So many people won’t travel when they’re on dialysis because they’re afraid to go different places. They just think they’re so limited.”

Dialysis removes waste products and extra fluids from the blood — jobs the kidneys normally do. Most patients need dialysis about three times a week unless they have a successful kidney transplant.

Visitors to the mountains, the beach or other destinations can find dialysis options if they plan ahead, said Terry Williams, Knoxville administrator of Dialysis Clinic Inc., which has operated a Sevierville clinic for at least 15 years.

Ideally, clinics like to have two weeks to a month to get records and make sure there’s a slot available for travelers, Williams said. Most of the time, DCI can accommodate travelers, or “transients,” as they’re called.

Occasionally, during peak seasons like “smack-dab in the middle of summer,” slots are scarcer, he said.

Fresenius Medical Center, which operates dialysis clinics nationwide, saw Sevier County as a “big travel-need area,” said Cindy Sunday, director of FMC Sevierville. “We have travelers scheduled all the way through September. We do a lot of one-treatment visits. Some travelers come every month or two months because they own cabins or condos.”

Dialysis patients often like to go to a clinic owned by the same company as the one they attend at home; “you know what to expect,” Barcomb said. But neither FMC or DCI require transient patients be from their own systems.

Some patients choose to use a clinic system their doctor is affiliated with, even if it means a longer drive, said Dr. Stephen Kiss. Kiss and Dr. Scott Borrelli of East Tennessee Nephrology in Fort Sanders are medical directors of the new clinic and will soon maintain a new office there for their Sevier County patients who previously had to drive to Knoxville.

“Kidney failure is (often) fallout from diabetes, high blood pressure — things that people in East Tennessee have a lot of,” Kiss said. “There’s a lot of patients up (in Sevier County) that have chronic renal failure. … They have to have dialysis three times a week. It’s a major lifestyle change. I think all patients would prefer to go to a clinic close to home.

DCI’s Sevierville clinic runs two shifts Mondays-Saturdays, up to 16 patients per shift. FMC runs a morning shift Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, but expects to add days and shifts as patient load increases. Sunday also said FMC hopes to start a “nocturnal” program, where patients can spend the night and get their treatments as they sleep, something DCI doesn’t currently have.

Barcomb said having the clinic close by helps her make the most of her mountain time.

“I can hike Laurel Falls on nondialysis days,” she said.

Kristi L. Nelson may be reached at 865-342-6434.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/mar/18/dialysis-doesnt-end-travel/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »

:thumbup;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »

Traveling is also easy on PD.  I've been on cruises, trains, buses, etc.  There is definitely life (and travel) after dialysis!
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:04 PM »

I am frightening of doing any traveling until I determine whether the clinic in the city I'm traveling to uses lidocaine or not.

When the lidocaine misses and they shove that needle in, the pain is unbearable and stays with me for the whole treatment.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:37:03 AM »

I am frightening of doing any traveling until I determine whether the clinic in the city I'm traveling to uses lidocaine or not.

When the lidocaine misses and they shove that needle in, the pain is unbearable and stays with me for the whole treatment.

Stacy could you take your own script of cream with you?

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »