I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Holy crap! The needles are huge!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holy crap! The needles are huge!!  (Read 10739 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: March 14, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

Well they started using my graft today. They used one needle in my graft for outgoing blood, and used one line in my chest cath for ingoing blood. I had no idea the needles would be that huge!! I've heard everyone talk about them, but without pictures, it was rather a shock! And they said they were using a "small" one today!! They stuck me with a 17 gauge. I had no pain, but I did get a lovely large yellow, green and purple bruise. I feel like I'm ready for Mardi Gra.  :sarcasm;  The worst thing about it, is I can't move my left arm, so I'm left typing one handed with a broken finger with a very large splint on it! It's hindering my IHD time at dialysis!   ;D

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »

Thats quite a predicament your in. Hope you heal quickly, go to the virtual bar and we will set you up.  :rofl;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »

Oh yeah, the arm is going to look interesting for awhile.  I get black and blue, then it goes away for awhile, then creeps back into black and blue areas again.  And Holy Cow! Those needles are big!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:05:58 AM »

Congratulations Padd, another step forward, you will be an old salt in no time  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Slywalker

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »

Holy Crap Batman

Hang in there Paddbear.

Sandyb

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »

I have never seen the needles in person and I am in my 4th year
but I did see them when the member posted the needles
and holy shit,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :o
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 12:29:48 PM »

I could never feel any difference in pain between the 17 gauge and the 15 gauge.  I just try to think about what good clearances I'll get when I use the bigger ones.  Good luck Paddbear with the needles and you will get used to them in time as hard as that is to imagine.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »

On the positive side, I'll bet you will be very happy when they can start using the graft all the time and they can finally take your catheter out. 

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »

i don't know now. I'm starting to rethink the whole catheter now. Since I had the stitches taken out and I have special covers so I can shower, it's really no problem at all. And I can move freely too at dialysis with the cath. It makes using my laptop, writing and trying to hold books open to read a lot easier, especially since I will have this splint on my broken finger on my free hand for 6-8 weeks!

twirl, how have you not seen needles in person? I didn't think you had a catheter.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »

Just remember that the catheter goes straight into the right atrium of your heart and any infection could be be very very serious indeed. 

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »

Just remember that the catheter goes straight into the right atrium of your heart and any infection could be be very very serious indeed.

Exactly.  Catheters are a huge source of serious infection.  Fistulas and grafts also, in general, provide for better clearance of toxins and a better overall dialysis treatment when compared to catheters.   :cuddle;
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:38:35 PM by David13 » Logged

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Jess21

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 06:01:20 PM »

Yes, the needles are huge!  I can tell I've gotten too used to their size...during class the other day my teacher said on the farm we will be using 1.5inch length needles on the animals, and I actually thought "only 1.5 inch?".  Probably everyone else was like "1.5 inch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!"  :sir ken;

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »

The bigger the number the "smaller" the needle.  So a 17 is smaller than a 15.  In the old days it was a 12.  It had two sides to it and it would pull a gulp of blood and push a gulp of blood back.  "lovely"! 

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »

I have a much better chance of getting an infection in my arm than my chest cath because of my dogs. My cath is always covered 100% unless I'm at dialysis.

Wallyz

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »

Paddbear, there is a temptation there to stick with the catheter, but people die from infections from catheters, Grafts and fistulas are much much healthier.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »

What is the difference between a graft and a fistula?  Which hurts less?

Will somebody explain needle gauge?  I inject insulin daily with a 31 gague.  That's little, huh? 

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »

Paddbear, there is a temptation there to stick with the catheter, but people die from infections from catheters, Grafts and fistulas are much much healthier.

Relax people, I'm not keeping the catheter! Not only does it not work with a dress I have to wear for a wedding this summer, it also puts a huge damper on the sex life!! I was just saying that I'm starting to prefer it. Besides, my neighbor from back home has had one for 3 years and has never had a problem.

What is the difference between a graft and a fistula?  Which hurts less?

Will somebody explain needle gauge?  I inject insulin daily with a 31 gague.  That's little, huh? 

Dwcrawford--

A graft is an artificial tube that is used to connect a vein and an artery for a dialysis access. A fistula is when your natural vein and your natural artery are connected together to create a dialysis access. A graft is used if your veins are not good enough to make a fistula. I don't think one hurts less than the other. It has more to do with where nerves are located in your arm, in relation to the access site. There are no nerves in your veins, so the type of access wouldn't make a difference.

Needle gauges are the diameter of the needle. The higher the number, the  smaller the needle. Your insulin needles and dialysis needles are a perfect example. Your insulin needle, a 31g, is very fine, whereas a dialysis needle, 15g, is definitely not. Before going on the pump, I was on 33g insulin syringes. They are almost hairline thin.

MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »

I did not know they made 33g insulin needles. I am using 31 and I only feel some pain if I hit a nerve I guess.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »

The needles are huge but I am already disassociating them with my own body when I am putting them in.  It is all very clinical and almost as if it is not happening to me but I am learning on someone else.  Hard to explain really but I also got a shock when I first saw them and wondered how the hell I was going to put them in myself.  But, not too many issues except for the bloody headaches two hours in to the treatment.  After you get jabbed a few times, you wont give it a second thought.  It is just part and parcel.  Now get rid of that catheter young lady.  Not good for you!!!  xx
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »

Lucinda try turning the UF off for half an hour, then back on. Might help with your headaches.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
cherpep

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 07:14:37 AM »

The needles are quite large.  I always tell people that they are the size of coffee stirrers.  It was tempting to stay with the cathetar, dialysis was actually much easier.  However, the clearance with my graft is much better than I ever received with the cathetar, and I felt the difference.  Because the clearance is better with the graft, dialysis takes out more toxins, leaving me with more energy and less nausea.  Also, I always thought my cathetar was very well covered - until I ended up in the hospital with a blood infection.  Sure enough, the source was found to be my cathetar.  I still do not know how it got infected, I was always very, very careful. 
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »

Get a PD access??
No needles-less food and liquid restrictions and clean the toxins overnight everynight.  And in case of an infection you already have another access for emergencies.

my  :twocents;

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »

Some people don't do well on PD.  There's no right or wrong in all this.  Much, maybe everything depends on the individual.  I could never cope with the idea of a catheter in my belly and would much rather do the needles but I certainly understand that others feel very differently.  Cookie cutter approaches are for cookies.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 04:44:07 PM »

And in case of an infection you already have another access for emergencies.

Paul having a backup fistula/graft doesn't always work out. Often the access clots off if you are not using it. Unless you maintain it well it is a waste of an access point you may need later down the track.
I have had the same tenckhoff catheter for four years without any problems. I don't have a fistula or graft. I often discuss it my my Neph and we are on the same page with this. I will get one when I need to transfer to Haemo. My veins are precious and I am trying to protect all my access points for my life of dialysis.

Paddbear you are doing a great job! Those needles are HUGE!! I wish I could hold your hand. You will have to settle for a cyber hug   :cuddle;    :-*

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
cookie2008

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »

I do agree that the needles are huge some treatments I have 4 to 5 of them, I use the EMLA cream an hour or so before I go. 

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »