I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Removed BIL's entire left lung due to cancer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Removed BIL's entire left lung due to cancer  (Read 7095 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: March 12, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »

Hi, I posted this in another board and wanted to let you know what's going on with my brother-in-law since I mentioned his condition in another post.

My brother-in-law has lung cancer. He lives in another state. I am going to give you what I know which isn't a lot. I still find it surprising that he is this far into this without knowing type, stage, or life expectancy.

A few months ago, he had pnemonia. Went to the doctor who put him on antibiotics. They did not work so they gave him another round of stronger ones. He began coughing up blood so they did a chest xray. Saw a shadow on the left lung that appeared rather large. Sent him for a ct scan where it showed there was a tumor about 5 cm(?). Then got a biopsy through his nose or mouth (see I'm not kidding when I say I don't know everything). That test was inconclusive. My sister told me they had gone in too far and went to a 'black hole.' At some point, they gave him steroids to help with the cough(?).

Then he had a PET scan which was also inconclusive. They said that the tumour was too close to the chest wall. So next was a needle biopsy. It was cancer (no one said what kind and I don't know why my sis or bil didn't ask). After the needle biopsy he coughed up more blood and coughed all the time. He did go back into the hospital and they took a chest xray and said it was ok.

He saw a surgeon who said that they hoped to take out a portion of the left lung, but it was possible that they'd have to remove the whole left lung. They'd, of course, know when they got in there. The next day he was scheduled for surgery! He was supposed to go in at 6:30am and the night before they called and said to come in at 5:30am. They said he'd be in hospital for five days and home for at least a month.

Surgery was to take two hours. It took 3 hours. They removed the entire left lung, eight lymph nodes, part of the lining of the chest wall, and part of his aorta. Oh, and they found an infection in the tumor and when I heard that I couldn't figure out how that could happen. The infection was a result of the needle biopsy.

So he had the surgery on 3/11/09 at 7:30am. The doctors have mentioned that he may go home tomorrow. I'm thinking they don't want him to get an infection while being at the hospital. He said he was feeling better - hope it's not just the meds talking. He had a temp of 101 last night, and he has eaten liquids (jello).

Still no word on type of cancer, stage, or what to expect as far as time. I know that everyone is different and even if you do know all that, you can still beat the odds. From my research though, it looks like it is NSCLC and it is stage 3b.

I will keep you all updated.

He was a heavy smoker for over 35 years and quit two years ago. He has also been around car fumes for his whole life as he is a mechanic and races his own dragster. Not sure if that adds to him getting lung cancer. He was also diagnosed during this time with COPD and emphysema.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »

I just hope they got it all ODAT.  :grouphug;
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:17:03 PM »

:grouphug;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »

I am sorry for one more medical problem in your family.  You certainly have had a lot to deal with.   My Dad had one lung removed with lung cancer and lived several more years (he was much older than your BIL).  Hopefully they got all of it and he can start healing and be better.  Sending you love,   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
silverhead

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:05:58 PM »

I was involved with Dragsters at the tracks for many years, and have often wondered if there had ever been any studies done on the effects of Nitromethane (fuel used in "Top Fuel" Dragsters), it really smells horrible and is prevalent at any strip when the fuel vehicles are running, 20 gallons can be burned in a 1/4 mile run, so lots of fumes. Several top name racers have had cancer or have died in the last few years, and I'm convinced that nitro has some bearing in it........

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »

So sorry to hear about your BIL, Odat.   :cuddle; :grouphug; :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »

thanks for the hugs -

silverhead, I will put that out to my sister to ask the doctor's if the fumes have anything to do with getting cancer.

The doctor's told my sister that they got it all. I hope so. Cancer has a way of hiding. Look how long it took for them to see it.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »

My bil has stage 2b lung cancer. He has to do chemo once every 3 weeks for 4 times. They said this is treatable and he'll live another 30 years, can go back to work full-time, and race his dragster again! I picked up mom and sis from airport today. They look great and I look like a ghost next to them. They had just gotten to Florida when bil was home from hospital. Said in beginning he didn't talk much and was depressed and in a lot of pain. Understandable. When he heard the news and got on antidepressants, he was doing just fine by the time they had to leave.  :yahoo;

Two hurdles left...chemo and a brain scan to see if there is any cancer there.

Hope everyone is okay, I haven't been around too much.  :waving;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »

Hi ODAT - here's hoping things are ok and you can stop worrying.
It's good to hear from you - keep in touch!  :thx;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »

I hope the cancer is not in his brain. Here is some prayers for some good news.  :grouphug;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »

Just saw this thread.
Sorry to hear about this ODAT. I hope the rest can go easy as possible. I'm sure the chemo will be a little rough, but hopefully not to rough for him.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »

Praying there is nothing in the brain.  Hope he is doing better and recovers well.  Thanks for letting us know his update.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »