I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  kidneys grown in GM mouse
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: kidneys grown in GM mouse  (Read 2916 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« on: March 12, 2009, 01:17:23 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25164757-5005962,00.html

Professor Hiromitsu Nakauchi uses induced pluripotent stem to grow kidneys in genetically modified mouse

SCIENTISTS have successfully used implanted cells to create kidneys inside a mouse whose parents were genetically engineered so their offspring would not be born with the organs.

The team, headed by Professor Hiromitsu Nakauchi of Tokyo University's Institute of Medical Science, extracted a fertilised egg obtained through the normal mating of the genetically modified parents.

The embryo was then implanted with induced pluripotent stem, or iPS, cells from a mouse with kidneys and then transplanted into the womb of a surrogate mother.

The baby mouse was born with kidneys and it is believed its bladder inflated and it produced urine as normal, MCT news agency reported

Implanted iPS cells are thought to have compensated for the kidneys the mouse should have been born without.

The team now plans to use the research to create internal organs of monkeys inside pigs.

"If we become able in the future to create human kidneys inside pigs, we'll be able to solve the problem of a lack of organs for transplant surgery," Prof Nakauchi told MCT.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:41:07 AM »

So cool, I hope these kinds of experiments continue to have success  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »

So next transplant will be waking up to a meal from the pig who donated it's organs to you? Sausage, Ham, pork chops, mmm ;D :urcrazy; :rofl;

Hopefully this one comes true, but not holding my breath yet since xenotransplantation has been talked about and experimented with for years now.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »

Yep, I'm sure it's a long way off. At least they are starting though.
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:19:17 AM »

So next transplant will be waking up to a meal from the pig who donated it's organs to you? Sausage, Ham, pork chops, mmm ;D :urcrazy; :rofl;

Hopefully this one comes true, but not holding my breath yet since xenotransplantation has been talked about and experimented with for years now.

Hey Chris!  That's exactly what I've thought, too!  Bring on the bacon, baby, I'm having my first post-transplant meal!!!  Mmm-Mmmm Good!!!  :2thumbsup;

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »

I don't eat meat, but if I didn't have my transplant, I'd happily have one from "the bacon".  :rofl;
Wallyz

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »

Hell, screw the pig stage. Just grow it in me.
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »

In this book I was reading this doctor was going around removing organs from live sick people. Like livers that had cancer and stuff. And he was injecting them with stuff and like regrowing them from the inside out.  Yeah I read some weird stuff. But yes how cool would it be if a pig could grow me a kidney.  I would deffently take it  :2thumbsup;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 01:02:42 AM »

Got to share this. Some years ago when the whole prospect of pig grown organs was all the rage in the news I asked my brother if he would accept one. Now you have to understand that I am pretty much an athiest, but my brother considers himself very Jewish. He said "NO!" because it was against the faith. Now I can respect that but I asked him "What if was the only hope to save your life?" He still said no.. even though I understand that it would be acceptable according to Rabbis when life and death is involved. I won't pretend to understand any of that and I'm not criticising it but I found it interesting. Of course my brother has always been VERY rigid and stubborn! Guess it's good he doesn't have the kidney disease!!! I'd have lil piggy right this second !!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 05:18:35 AM »

What people say they would do, and what they actually would do if actually put in said situation are sometimes two different things. Not always, but sometimes. Not questioning your brother's faith, but it is just a possibility that he might change his mind if it came to crunch time.

I used to have all kinds of concerns regarding animal welfare, and this was one of the reasons behind my choice to go vegetarian many years ago. Nowadays, I still don't eat meat (simply because I don't like it anymore) but the majority of my concerns about animals are long gone. I used to feel quite conflicted about scientific/medical research. But now I say BRING IT ON. Because it really IS different when it affects you.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »

Hey, I'll take the pig...actually if they want to use me to test growing my own kidney I'm there.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »