I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Some of my work
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some of my work  (Read 6761 times)
thom

« on: September 04, 2006, 10:33:49 AM »

I'm a fine art student in my last year of Foundation and I'm applying for university this Christmas. Hopefully I'll be going to the royal art college if all goes well. Anyway, thought you might want to take a look at some of my previous stuff, some of it you might get straight away and some might confuse you. Most of the 2nd 3rd page is from the final project last year which i based around my condition. Feel free to critique anyway!
www.meatfish.deviantart.com/gallery
vandie

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:43:50 AM »

Tom,
You are very talented, and you have so much emotion in your art.  How theraputic that must be for you.
I am very impressed.  Keep us updated with new work, please. 

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »

Raw emotion produces the best art and music. Nice work Thom
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 11:39:35 AM »

I was also going to comment about so much emotion in those pieces, things that a lot of people can relate to.   

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 11:42:26 AM »

Very nice Thom, lots of imagination and talent.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
thom

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 11:50:54 AM »

Tom,
You are very talented, and you have so much emotion in your art.  How theraputic that must be for you.
I am very impressed.  Keep us updated with new work, please. 

wow thanks! i'll tell you it's such a great feeling when i'm painting or drawing about things i don't usually feel i can talk about. it's like i can say anything i want and when it's done that's that. the more people that see it the less it's mine :)

Raw emotion produces the best art and music. Nice work Thom

oh i definately agree. the students i work with all use expierences the'v ehad or are going through as a main source of inspiration. it's like that with art and different with other areas such as illustration where as your work is based around an idea that's already planted. i'm crap and discribing thigs.

I was also going to comment about so much emotion in those pieces, things that a lot of people can relate to.

that's why i'm pleased i found this place. everyone that's seen my work so far has no idea what it's like, which is great don't get me wrong but  it's great to share it with people who do.

Very nice Thom, lots of imagination and talent.

thanks, i appreciate that.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 03:50:21 PM »

Umm --- I guess I just don't appreciate art.  I went to a MC Escher exhibit.  Now I liked that.  Good luck with your career.  I think you'll need it.   8)

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »

I wrote a few songs, one was for my Dad's funeral, kind of a eulogy, only he was able to hear it before he died. I wrote the music, lyrics and played the guitar, went into the recording studio and made a cd. I wrote the song and recorded it 3 days before my Dad died and that was all he listened to, the whole weekend before he died. He really loved it. So I can relate to the emotional motivating factor in art. Music being another form of art.
thom

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 03:05:06 AM »

Umm --- I guess I just don't appreciate art.  I went to a MC Escher exhibit.  Now I liked that.  Good luck with your career.  I think you'll need it.   8)

ok...thanks.
thom

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 03:06:15 AM »

I wrote a few songs, one was for my Dad's funeral, kind of a eulogy, only he was able to hear it before he died. I wrote the music, lyrics and played the guitar, went into the recording studio and made a cd. I wrote the song and recorded it 3 days before my Dad died and that was all he listened to, the whole weekend before he died. He really loved it. So I can relate to the emotional motivating factor in art. Music being another form of art.

damn, i bet that really compforted him.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 03:34:38 AM »

Nice DeviantArt site :) I have one as well but have never posted any of my work to it yet even though I have had it for 2 years now  :-[

This pic of yours is interesting. Do you really feel that way? Where do you get your inspiration? I get some in the oddest places myself.

there are some really good ones out there.. that is why I have never posted my work  :-[

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
thom

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 04:16:37 AM »

Nice DeviantArt site :) I have one as well but have never posted any of my work to it yet even though I have had it for 2 years now  :-[

This pic of yours is interesting. Do you really feel that way? Where do you get your inspiration? I get some in the oddest places myself.

yeah that's pretty much how i'd sum up 'god'. i keep a journal whilst i'm on dialysis then i take whatever i've written/drawn and experiment with it. i get inspiration from other artists too like David Shrigley or Basquait for example but it mostly comes from things i want to say but i'd rather paint. you shoul;d definately post some stuff, i'd be interested to see it.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »

yeah that's pretty much how i'd sum up 'god'. i keep a journal whilst i'm on dialysis then i take whatever i've written/drawn and experiment with it. i get inspiration from other artists too like David Shrigley or Basquait for example but it mostly comes from things i want to say but i'd rather paint. you shoul;d definately post some stuff, i'd be interested to see it.
Mine is not really creative .. more artistic impressions of people mainly and cartoons ..

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 12:17:03 AM »

Mine is not really creative .. more artistic impressions of people mainly and cartoons ..

Come on Angie don't tease us! You got to show us something now that you mentioned it? Any dialysis related?

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 03:01:57 AM »

Come on Angie don't tease us! You got to show us something now that you mentioned it? Any dialysis related?

So far I have only done one that is dialysis related :P It seems so many people have come out with good dialysis related comics that I didn't want to step on any toes ;)

I guess I will have to upload some of my work :P I probably will this Sat as it is the first day in 2 weeks I will have free :) Oh wait .. I have to celebrate my dad's birthday ... damn always something :P Anyway, I will upload them :)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »