I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Does Faith In God Help You Cope?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Faith In God Help You Cope?  (Read 5275 times)
meadowlandsnj

« on: September 03, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »

And I mean whatever "God" you believe in be it  Buddhism, Christianity, Muslim, Hinduism, ect.  Does it help you get through the day?  I don't care what you believe in, you can worship a velvet painting of Elvis if it helps you!  8)  (We need an Elvis smiley)  I was raised Roman Catholic but I don't exactly consider myself a model Catholic, I don't agree with much of the church.  But at times It comforts me to know that God is out there somewhere.  We used to have a chaplan come into dialysis every Tuesday to give us Communion if you wanted it but they haven't been around in a few weeks and I miss it.  I don't want to start any religion wars, though.   I was just interested if anyone had any thoughts about this.

Donna

EDITED:  Moved thread to proper section - Goofynina/Moderator
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 12:12:09 AM by goofynina » Logged

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 04:49:36 PM »

I feel like it does help me somewhat, in coping with my husband's health.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Shades_Elfen

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »

Having faith in anything is a good thing...

I myself do not have faith in gods or such, but I DO have faith in myself, my family and friends (Including everyone on this board), and sometimes thats all you need.

So, Chin up, and Carpe Diem

Time been on Dialysis : 5 years and counting
"It Doesn't matter, now what happens, I will never give up the fight, as long as the voice inside tells me to stand and fight" - Myself
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 08:04:32 PM »

The Lord is a secure anchor to me. 
An anchor that will hold thru any storm.
I trust Him right now more
than I ever have in my life.  Every day I thank Him for another day
and ask Him to be my strength on the new day and to sustain me
and He is and He does.  I don't know how I'd cope thru all of this
without Him.  We've been thru a lot together and He is my dearest
friend.  If you don't believe in Him, you probably think I'm crazy and that's ok, but
He is just awesome!!!! 

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »

Does faith in God help?  Hmmmm. Yes it does. 
I think my belief in a Supreme Being some days is what keeps me going.
I figure when I get where I am going there will be love there for me.
I also get so angry at God sometimes I cannot talk to him for days.  When my hubby got hurt I was angry at God for two weeks, however I was praying to him daily even when I was madder than heck at him and claimed I was not speaking to God.  Weird, Huh.
Sometimes I just throw up my hands and yell okay God. You do it. I can't anymore.  Then I walk on. And things usually work out.
Yeah...I have a weird relationship with God.  He knows it.  I know it.  But life is just that way sometimes!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
GuyIncognito

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 08:28:21 PM »

Though I was Raised Roman Catholic I have spit ways with the faith long ago, one day I may go back but for now I prefer to live my life according to the moral guidelines I have set out rather then those that have been set for me by the church. I believe in Family, Friends and making Life decisions based on what I believe is right (Nothing is ever black or white, left or right)
However there is much to be said for meditation or a time out period if you will... there are few things better than rowing out on the lake at 5:30 in the morning to see the mists and the sun rise... it allows me to believe in something higher up.
So when it comes down to it I just don't put much stock in organized religion.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 05:17:22 PM »

My faith is in Jesus Christ himself, not religion.  My faith definitely is what makes able to live this life.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 10:08:43 PM »

Yes, my faith in Jesus and my personal relationship with Him makes life easier when you know after death there is a better place.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 12:15:57 AM »

Yes, my faith in Jesus and my personal relationship with Him makes life easier when you know after death there is a better place.

QFT!

(Quoted For Truth)

It gives me solice knowing that I WILL WALK and RUN again. And knowing that there is a better place than this. And knowing that after I die I will eventually see my son again.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 04:28:25 AM »

Does faith in God help?  Hmmmm. Yes it does. 
I think my belief in a Supreme Being some days is what keeps me going.
I figure when I get where I am going there will be love there for me.
I also get so angry at God sometimes I cannot talk to him for days.  When my hubby got hurt I was angry at God for two weeks, however I was praying to him daily even when I was madder than heck at him and claimed I was not speaking to God.  Weird, Huh.
Sometimes I just throw up my hands and yell okay God. You do it. I can't anymore.  Then I walk on. And things usually work out.
Yeah...I have a weird relationship with God.  He knows it.  I know it.  But life is just that way sometimes!

I couldn't have said it better!  Right now I am angry at God, and even if I say "I am so mad at you... do you even exist??!"  If it wasn't for my faith in him I wouldn't be working, or going out with friends, or reading the bible, or posting this...even if I struggle to do it all....

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
thom

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »

Nah i don't believe in god. Waste of my time, got more important things to worry about.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 09:51:30 AM »

Nope

My belief in God doesn't play a role in this. 

The way I figure it is that everything that I experience, good or bad, is to help build character for what comes next. :)
mallory

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:09:06 AM »

I do believe in God, and I do believe there's a "bigger plan" that I'm unable to see at this point in my little life.  I agree with what kitkatz and MelissaJean said, though.  I have an interesting relationship with God.  I really do have faith in God and I believe that someday I'll get to see my mom again, and I am very thankful for the many, many good things in my life.  But sometimes I get frustrated, too.  Why does all of this bad stuff happen?  It's hard to understand sometimes.  I just have to keep thinking that someday I'll understand why everything needed to be this way.

But, if it wasn't for the fact that I do believe, I don't think I'd make it, I'm not that strong on my own.

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »