I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Doctors
| | | |-+  Doctor Satisfication Survey
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doctor Satisfication Survey  (Read 9427 times)
Bub

« on: March 04, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »

My dialysis center recently handed out surveys so we could rate the center.  I had to laugh about one question in reference to my nephrologist.  "Do you feel your nephrologist really cares about you?"  I answered that I was not sure since I don't recall ever meeting him (or her, as the case may be).
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »

:rofl; OMG that's funny! And tragic.  :urcrazy;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »

Wow.  They were just asking for trouble when they put that question on the survey. . .   :waiting;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »

"Arrange an introduction and I'll get back to you!"

:rofl;

I just got the results back from some mental health survey the social worker passed.  She sent me a score sheet that compared my answers to other people's answers in the same age group, with the same gender, and with the same medical complications.  The questions were divided into categories that were supposed to tell them things like how hard you thought the diet restrictions were, how much you felt like a burden on your family and friends, and how much pain you experienced on a regular basis.  Apparently, I failed horribly on just about everything.  Oh, goodie.  Now, not only do I have to deal with all the effects of this crappy disease, now I can feel self-conscious about not coping as well as everyone else says they are. (Actually, the mental coping skills section was the only one I passed with flying colors. . . )
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:51:00 PM by jbeany » Logged

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:32:40 PM »

Jbeany don't feel bad.  It is based on "their" scale and other people put what they want to hear.  They want to hear that we LOVE dialysis and would come here even if we didn't have to. 

I got a thing in the mail once saying it was "Doctor's Appreciation" week and wanted MONEY for them.  I wanted to tape a penny on the card and send it back, but I just ripped it up.

peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 07:24:45 AM »

Uh, Bub, that sounds like a "no" to me! 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »

I did one of those surveys. The answers back are so general who cares about it!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »

my unit would not hand out questionnaires -
they can not handle the truth
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »

On one doctor survey at the clinic I put "I think you're HOT"    >:D  and signed one of the Tech's names!  Then he got fired.  He was horrible anyway but I never found out if my joke had anything to do with that.  There were two other Techs that knew I did it. 

:shy;

dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »

Rerun, I want to meet you.  You are totally irreverent.  I like that in a person.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »

:yahoo;
Rerun, you are too much!!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 09:17:11 PM »

The social worker came by my chair with a huge pamphlet of questions to fill out for the yearly review.

I asked point blank, "So, I take the time to fill this out, it goes into a file and nobody ever reads it, right?"

Her response?  "Pretty much."

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Bub

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »

Jbeany, my center also handed out the mental health survey.  I filled it out but never submitted it.  I was afraid I would be committed!  Until that survey I never realized what a basket case I am!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »

I filled it out becasue we already know I AM a basket case!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »

Jbeany don't feel bad.  It is based on "their" scale and other people put what they want to hear.  They want to hear that we LOVE dialysis and would come here even if we didn't have to. 

I got a thing in the mail once saying it was "Doctor's Appreciation" week and wanted MONEY for them.  I wanted to tape a penny on the card and send it back, but I just ripped it up.

Rerun,

They pulled that dumb crap on me too. They actually have on my "Care Plan Sheet", "Patient needs to work on attitude because she doesn't like needles and says she hates dialysis." Well, no duh! Who likes dialysis? If I liked the needles and loved dialysis, it would give me no reason to be on the list.

I once told the" happy police" (my secret name for the social worker and the dietician) that I would not partcipate in their goofy little contests (I admit we've donated new and like-new stuff we didn't want to get it the  >:D out of our house, as we are not junk collectors like the people who "win" our crap.) and that I was there for the kidney, not a whole bunch of people's dusty crap (Yes, I like the word "crap", Can you tell?) and when I was asked, "Do you like dialysis?", I answered, "It sucks. This isn't exactly a trip to Wacken, you know?" and ever since then, I was labeled negative. Me? Negative? I don't tihnk so. I have a pretty high quality of life considering my situation, I make jokes about dialysis, I'm independent and I have big dreams of getting a kidney, going back to college, running a power metal record label , having children, etc. just like anyone else. I'm 31 not 71 and I know that this is not all there is for me and they don't like it. Complacency is rewarded, dissent is not.

The only person I know at that center who likes the place is David, a 23 year old young man with autism, but then again, all you really have to give him are some cartoons, his lunch, coloring books, crayons and toys and he's happy. So, he's really no indicator of neurotypical people and their reaction.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 10:12:39 AM »

"Happy police"   :rofl;    I always figure - I'm broke, sick, divorced, and on welfare.  How freakin' happy do they expect me to be?  I do work on having a positive attitude, and enjoying my life.  I don't want to go thru it perpetually blue.  But I am NEVER going to say I love dialysis.  I am grateful for it for keeping me going, just like I'm grateful I have disability and food stamps, but I would LOVE a transplant, and a real job with a real paycheck.

I confess I'm playing along with the most recent center game - all you have to do is look at your monthly labs and post your results on the board.  If you get a check mark in all 5 categories for good labs, then you get entered into the drawing for the prizes.  They got real prizes, though.  $75 gas cards and $100 grocery cards.  Now that I can use!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

bdpoe

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

I've refused to fill out any and every such survey my case worker has attempted to give me.
Earings and Lipstick on a PIG!
Look like you are doing something when actually providing little meaningful help.
I'm sure there are good ones out there but I've only gotten screwed by the ones
I've encountered.
grannysgirl

Why Am I still here? Cause God says so!

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »

The doctor care at my original center was so poor  that I thought they were trying to kill me :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; I change centers and doctor care is so much better. It would be nice if the patient had some type of privacy while talking to the doctor.
This week a patient had bottomed out and the nurse stood over the patient and kept calling his/her name. The doctor came in for rounds and saw that it was his patient. His response was unbelievable. He looked at the patient walked over to the phone and called 911. Then he got the charts and move on to his next patient. Go figure! Medical care for d patients need some serious help!

Duchess of VA
Billabond1

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »

From what I have seen in my very short time on these forums so far, I might be the only one here who is actually happy with my doctors and center.  I technically have 2 Nephs, one that I see once a week at the center and the other that I see once a month at their office.  The neph that I see once a month has been my doctor since the beginning of all of this, and she is a great person and really does care.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »

I have nothing but good things to say about the treatment I've been receiving for my kidneys since 1973 here in Toronto.  I've had the same neph since 1985 after my first transplant and I'm back with him now, at my request after my second.  When the first transplant failed I had a pre-dialysis neph (saw me once a month unless I asked for an extra appointment for some reason) and then a different one while on D (saw him once a month in his office).  I have liked and respected pretty much every member of my team, dietician and social worker included and had minor issues with only one dialysis nurse.  I asked to meet privately with her and addressed the issue of her bossiness and her moodiness and we managed to more or less work out a deal to work together...not that she had to do much since I was at a self-care clinic and also did my own needles.
Our system is full and very busy but I've generally felt well-treated and not just a faceless nameless "patient"...despite the fact that ours is a single payer, not for profit system.  I try never to take what we have for granted and I do my part to be an informed, competent patient who does not waste our taxpayer dollars. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »