I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  bad spellers, untie!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bad spellers, untie!  (Read 4533 times)
imacrash

« on: September 03, 2006, 12:08:55 PM »

I need to vent just a little.  I'm not the smartest cookie or head of the class but geez, is our worldwide education system failing us?  I've been reading a lot of posts on this site and am surprised at how many people misspell, use bad grammar and don't use the freakin' spell check!  Sometimes, we all make the occasional boo boo, but some people's posts you can really tell the education system has failed them.  I'm not sure why this all bothers me so much and I'm sorry if I offend any teachers out there.  This is not meant to offend anyone, but to allow me to blow off some steam.
Is it just me?  Or do any of you see what I see?   ???
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 12:16:03 PM »

Can you spell analytical?  :o   Some things unnerve some where others let it slide...Take a chill pill and don't worry about those things you have no control over..Like other people.. ;).Sassy

Fixed Color Purple- Rerun - Moderator 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 05:44:02 PM by Rerun » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »

You ever try to read sixth graders' papers these days?  Oh my gosh.  They cannot spell simple words.  Are we failing as educators?  I do not think so. I think society is failing us because it does not put an importance on putting out high quality stuff anymore.  It used to be a letter to say hello, now it is a short email. We use symbols instead of words to communicate.  We have no real need to read anymore therefore writing has become a thing of the past.  Besides why read when a video game is there already for you to play, no effort necessary. (I probably got the geeks mad here.)  

I know I make a lot of typo mistakes.  I am a lousy typist, but by God I can spell. And I check my work as much as I can. Spellcheck does not catch all of the mistakes.  I try to proofread as much as possible before posting. Just need to take time to make sure it is right before posting it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:41:27 AM »

We have no real need to read anymore therefore writing has become a thing of the past.  Besides why read when a video game is there already for you to play, no effort necessary. (I probably got the geeks mad here.)

I am a tech geek and I for one have to agree with you.  I love my game systems, computers, and other fun devices but there is nothing out there that can beat a good imagination.  I still sit down with a good book and let my mind go wild.

It's not easy being green.
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 10:24:23 AM »

:angel; I often goof up...But then I pay some body to do my spelling professionally. So in everyday life, like when conversing with friends, I allow myself to goof up occassionally. As long as I am not being offensive. I allow others a break also.  :grouphug;  SASSY

EDITED: Fixed HTML tag error - Epoman, Admin/Owner
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 05:33:42 PM by Epoman » Logged
deej

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 02:16:05 PM »

I need to vent just a little. I'm not the smartest cookie or head of the class but geez, is our worldwide education system failing us? I've been reading a lot of posts on this site and am surprised at how many people misspell, use bad grammar and don't use the freakin' spell check! Sometimes, we all make the occasional boo boo, but some people's posts you can really tell the education system has failed them. I'm not sure why this all bothers me so much and I'm sorry if I offend any teachers out there. This is not meant to offend anyone, but to allow me to blow off some steam.
Is it just me? Or do any of you see what I see? ???

I´m a teacher of English as a Second Language and I totally agree with you, imacrash!!! I have a horrible time trying to explain and apologize for the way the Americans are speaking and writing these days!!  I have cable TV down here (Brazil) and we get a lot of American sit-coms, films, etc. where the spoken English is so grammatically incorrect that I sometimes change the channel.  Many American movies we get also have such trashy English that I advise my students to watch Disney cartoons!!  I´m also an avid reader but very selective as to the authors. Unfortunately, I believe the English language is going downhill, fast.  :(.  People don´t seem to take the same interest in speaking or writing correctly as they did a generaton ago. ( I know my age is showing  now!) Maybe it´s because of the computers/video games, etc. or maybe it´s just because of the fast paced world. I agree that proofreading and the spell check should be used by everyone. It just takes a minute and is so helpfull.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
"...holy shit...what a ride!"
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 02:23:05 PM »

Schooling seems to be failing a lot of people today and it is showing up in all the generations that are now aged 40 and below  :'(

I know people around my age who can't spell simple words (I knew a girl once who asked her mom, "How do you spell toilet?") and most don't know the proper grammer that is mentioned in this thread already. A few I don't know but once did .. seems I get confused easily anymore..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 02:26:20 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 04:35:04 PM »

There is no tag here. Linda
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 05:35:35 PM »

There is no tag here. Linda

::) PLEASE see this thread http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1327.msg15969#msg15969

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 03:02:21 AM »

I was reading another Dx forum yesterday and one member didnt ever use any punctuation in their posts. Not even a full stop, a comma, nothing. It was so draining to read. I didnt dare say anything though.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »