I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 11:24:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Fresenius Saline Bags?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fresenius Saline Bags?  (Read 4098 times)
alrightstill

BAH!

« on: February 28, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »

In my latest delivery of NxStage supplies I got a different batch of saline.  (Seems every few months the saline changes!)  This one seems to be direct from Fresenius itself (fresenius brand) and boy oh boy are they a bitch to open in every sense of the word!   Starting with the packaging itself.. the bag it comes in I haven't been able to open a bag yet without using scissors.  And then when spiking the machine.. forget about it!  It's extremely difficult.. 

I think I'll try complaining to the clinic first (don't think that will do much good..) and then I'm going to write a letter or maybe even call Fresenius.   :rant;

Is anyone else having trouble?

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:31:34 PM »

There's another post on here somewhere about us complaining about those.  Bill said that rubbing the spike with alcohol helps.  I tried to get Fresenius to switch back with no luck.  When my clinic decided to stop having home deliveries of Fresenius supplies for NxStage patients, then I ended up getting the other, easy to spike kind again.  Apparently, Fresinus still delivers the easy version to the clinic, or the clinic gets the Hospira brand from another supplier, I don't know which.  If you are really having problems with them, maybe you can get the saline directly from your clinic as well?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »

Thanks jbeany!  I'll look for that post.  I thought I remembered seeing something like that awhile back butI thought this was even a NEWER kind of saline (I could be wrong!).  You have to twist off the end to open in it in order to spike it.. .sound familiar?

Anywho - I think I will ask my center if we can trade or if they can be my supplier of saline like they used to way way back when I first started.  Thanks for the suggestion!

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »

I had to use Fresenius saline for a few months, and I was sooooo glad when my centre switched back to Baxter.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
cherpep

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »

Spiking the Fresenius bags is a bear!!!  I have found that laying the bag down on top of the machine to insert the spike makes it easier.  I also use a twist & push action.  It works every time for me.  My husband just uses a needle to poke first, then inserts the spike. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »