I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Numbness and Potassium
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Numbness and Potassium  (Read 21470 times)
Loretta

« on: February 25, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »

I have two questions and am asking them together because they may be related.  I am having numbness in both of my hands and both of my feet.  When I talked to the Dr about it she thought for a while and asked a few questions and then told me to take Midoprine about three times a day.  I was taking the mediprine to keep my blood pressure up during dialysis.  When I check my blood pressure at home it is usually low.  Like 89 on top and often so low that it will not register.  The numbness is like going to sleep and by wiggling the arm or whatever they wake up.  What damage is this doing to my hands and feet?  I am diabetic but my sugars are very controlled

Then I have been having problems with my Potassium.  A week ago I was like paralyzed.  We called the ambulance and went to the hospital and my potassium was high.  That was scary!  Now today I got a phone call from my doctor and my potassium is low. Like 2.1.  Is that related to the numbness problem?  She, the Dr, said I was probably tired.  On Monday I was sick.  I vomited and had diarrhea for about six hours then felt better.  I was so sick I couldn't even drink.  Then I started to drink a little and then started to feel better.  Could this have been caused by the low blood pressure or the low Potassium

I ate on orange, how long before my potassium starts to go up?  Should I eat more potassium?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »

Low blood pressure will make me light headed and see black spots.  My potassium runs high but I've never been paralyzed (yet).  I would not worry about low potassium unless you are still vomiting and having diarrhea because that will continue to deplete your potassium.  But, if you have stopped the sickness and you ate 1 orange then your potassium will only go up.  I would just continue my renal diet now. 

As for the numbness in your hands and feet it could be the low blood pressure.  Maybe go out on a limb and have some salty soup.  Not a lot, but just a half cup and see if your blood pressure comes up. 

Watch your dry weight.  I know it is a moving target and now that you have been sick you may have lost dry weight.  But, usually when my blood pressure is really low following dialysis then I need to raise my dry weight by .5.  So if it is 48 then I will go to 48.5 the next session.

Hope you feel better.              :flower;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »

Numbness and tingling in your hands can also be caused by low calcium.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:50:06 AM »

I have been in hospital for past couple of days with extremely high potassium.  It certainly caused numbness and pins and needles in my legs and feet.  It also cause servere muscles cramping like I had just done a six kilometre run.  I was vomiting from low potassium and then I ate one banana and it skyrocketed.  Stick to your renal diet.  Better to be low in potassium than high.  Too much of a strain on your heart. 
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 07:17:51 AM »

:grouphug; Cindy. I am sorry to hear about your hospital stay. Your right about the high potassium, better to have low. Hope your feeling better.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »

Numbness can be caused by toxins building up from poor dialysis.

If the numbness happens when sitting in a certain position, it could be caused by dehydration and or bp.

As to getting sick.  If you feel it wasnt a bug or something then most likely it was your body reacting to out of whack labs.

What you describe happens to some people who have high K and the body reacts that way trying to purge it.

The best thing to do is keep track of what you eat with one of the free online systems and keep your K intake at the level recommend by the doctor and dietitian. 

Low potassium is just as deadly as high potassium.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »

Low potassium is just as deadly as high potassium.

Excellent point.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
nycrtst85

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »

I had the same thing happen,My potassium was high and i was almost paralized with cramps all over my body.The DIET IS LIFE OR DEATH ,don't eat anything you're not supossed to.I learned this the hard way.

Rogelio Ronco
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »

I often have problems with numbness or tingling in my feet legs and sometimes hands and arms....sometimes it feels like my whole body....but not lately..... I use to get this alot before I started D... back in the days of taking lasix and trying to get the water off of my body.... when We  ( the doctor and I ) didnt know why I was swelling in my feet and ankles.....   Since I was taking lasix  I was losing potassium and was prescribe potassium supplements ......  I use to get really bad cramps in my legs when  I was low on water retention  and had taking alot of lasix....  when I had a lot of water on my body  then the numbness and tingling would occur.....  I think its all because of  unbalance  chemistries in our body..... when things get out of control its hard for our bodies to help get us back in balance.... our pour kidneys do alot to control all of that.....So  bottome line  a balanced diet and good exercise program... will help alot...  Now that we have CKD  we live in very limited boundaries and we need to control as much as possible....  it seems like a never ending battle......   Good luck and good for you with the good diet....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »

Yeah too high and too low can cause problems. I was too low and my heart was beating like I ran a race, they gave me some k lite which by the way is the worst stuff I ever drank.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »

The best thing to do is keep track of what you eat with one of the free online systems and keep your K intake at the level recommend by the doctor and dietitian

Can you tell me what free online system you are talking about?  I just started Phoslo and need help in this area, as in What can I EAT???  or not eat.....

Thank you!  Tracy :)

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »

Wow, i never knew potassium could be on each end of the scale that quickly!
My partner was hospitalised for high potassium [7.2] and he had absolutley no symptoms. Took two - three days and they had him on all sorts of drips, made him drink real awful stuff, and it only lowered to 6.2! Heart rate was 175 though!

Hope you can get it sorted, some pretty good advice on this thread  :2thumbsup;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 04:43:22 AM »

The best thing to do is keep track of what you eat with one of the free online systems and keep your K intake at the level recommend by the doctor and dietitian

Can you tell me what free online system you are talking about?  I just started Phoslo and need help in this area, as in What can I EAT???  or not eat.....

Thank you!  Tracy :)

Here is the USDA site:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »

Thank you so much!  Tracy  :waving;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
woodsman

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »

I take sps sodium polystyrene sufinate to lower my potassium. i am at 5.9 at times but with the sps it remains right around 4.9.5.2. 2 xs a week tastes like drinking liquid sand......
totosidney

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »

It is exceedingly dangerous (life threatening) to take extra potassium. Many dialysis patients have been discovered dead at the kitchen table with an empty glass of orange juice. Do not self medicate. Ask for advice from the dietician and follow it. Phoslo has nothing to do with potassium, it binds phosphorus. The numbness is not a potassium issue.

sid
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 07:53:48 AM »

Potassium regulates your heart.  Too high, potential heart attack.  Too low, potential heart attack.  Also dialysis, vomiting, peeing and pooing remove potassium from the body.  You may need to take potassium pills to regulate yourself if too low (I do).  Although your diabetes is tightly controlled, neuropathy may come after many years of diabetes.  Are you seeing an endocrinologist for your diabetes?  You should be.
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 02:19:06 AM »

My two cents.

When my potassium is high I get the same numbness you described. According to the doctors numbness is not a sign of high potassium.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »