I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Sad News for Us
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sad News for Us  (Read 15289 times)
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 04:29:55 AM »

yeah
you are back
and all your cute icons
I missed them
yeah
what icon will you use next
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2009, 07:18:15 AM »

Glad to hear things are settling down.  :waving;

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »

:cuddle; Take care Mimi.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

:waving; Mimi!

Edited: Fixed smiley error -okarol/admin
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:06:13 PM by okarol » Logged
angellady07

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »

Glad you are back.  :welcomesign;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »

Mimi, so glad to see your post!  You have been missed.  Let us know how your doctors appointment goes.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Slywalker

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2009, 03:38:43 PM »

Mimi it was good to see your post.  I'm glad to hear that things are settling down.  Your friend with bone cancer is in my prayers.

:bunny:
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »

Surprise!!!!  It's me ole Mimi.  Sorry it's been so long.  But you know the old saying 'Time Flies".
I have a problem and I need your thoughts.  I went in yesterday to see my neph, I've been going to him about 3 years now.  My GFR had
dropped from 22 down to 15 in the last few months.  He started in immediately talking going on D, right now.  I said I am not ready for D yet, in fact I may never be ready.  He said then he cound not do anything more for me and it was only going to get worse.  Then he said to Cindy, Such a good looking woman, what a shame?????  I said maybe I should think about getting a graft put in place.  He said
No I didn't need to do that, he would just put a catherter in my neck and go on with the D  He acted like I was at death's door.  I said I would have to think about all of this and he said fine but when you walk back in that door I want you to be ready to go on D.  So it seems I am without a neph unless I want to start D immediately.
Am I nuts?  Please  give me your opinions.
Love and cares, 

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »

It is not up to your neph as to when you start dialysis.  It is up to you!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »

Is PD an option? 

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »

Sounds like he thinks he is in total control.  Mimi, I have been at 12-15 for three years.  He needs to give you more information.  More numbers : creatinine, bun, etc.  Can you ask to see your last labs?   He may have good reason to think you need to start, but he needs to explain.  And explain why he doesn't want you to get a fistula.  Do you like him? 

On another note ---- Hi Mimi!!!  You have been missed   :cuddle;    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2009, 08:56:04 AM »

It's truly great to see you posting again, Mimi!  Don't stay away so long again.
As the others have said, it's your decision.  However, I would make my decision based on how I feel and how my blood works are.

[I am moving this topic since it now a dialysis topic]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:57:15 AM by Bajanne » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2009, 09:32:14 AM »

Welcome back Mimi.
I have missed all your little photos/sayings you put in your tag lines.
Hanify had a good question.  Is PD an option.  It is easy to learn and you can do it at home.
Hope to see you posting often like in the past :-)

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »

Hi Mimi, welcome back!

Why to get a catheter... well, maybe if you're half dead and have arrived in the emergency room surprised by the rapid progression of your kidney failure, that would be a good reason.

No, Mimi, you are not in that situation. Get a graft or get a new nephrologist unless he can give you a damn good reason for suggesting a catheter. CATHETERS DAMAGE THE BLOOD VESSELS THEY ARE PLACED IN! There are only a limited number of good catheter sites and they can be used up AND the damage to the vessels can do away with the option of getting a graft/fistula peripherally to the damaged vessel. Catheters are a good option only when there is no other option due to the urgency of the need for dialysis.

(Such a good looking woman, what a shame? What, exactly is up with that??? Is a new neph an option?)

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »

Hi Everyone.  Thanks so much for your thoughts.  My labs were all
good.  That's the reason I was so shocked when he said I didn't have time to get a graft, I would have to go with a catheter.  I do have the option of changing Drs. and my son came in today and he
thinks I should go for a second opinon.  This Dr. has gotten Cindy so upset and I hate it, because she has already been through so much. :Kit n Stik;
I don't think I am a candidate for PD because I am diabetic and I read somewhere that Nephs don't recommend PD for diabetics.
I will let you all know how it goes.
Love, MImi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2009, 08:12:16 AM »

:waving; Hi Mimi. Like everyone said, talk to another Doctor. A good friend of mine had to see another Doctor in the same practise because hers was out. She stayed off dialysis. Her kidney failure was acute. I know that isn't the case for you. But a second opinion doesn't hurt.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2009, 10:15:14 AM »

I changed doctors within the same practice.  First one made the diagnosis and said I would be on dialysis in 6 months.  Didn't like his attitude.  He never explained anything.  I asked the nurses which doctor in the practice was the most on top of the changes in the renal field, who did research and spent time with the patients.  I loved my new one.  He listens to me. I have held at 12-15% for three years, so the first doctor was totally wrong and didn't care.    It would be a good idea to talk to another doctor, if possible.  Let us know how things go.    Good to see you posting.  We worry about you.   :cuddle;

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »

I guess PD might be a problem for diabetics cos of the sugar.  What's everyone's experience?

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »