I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:09:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Putting out lots of urine, but creatinine still too high
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Putting out lots of urine, but creatinine still too high  (Read 4651 times)
mcmkids

« on: February 19, 2009, 02:19:44 PM »

Hey Everyone! I had a question. I know that coming off of dialysis is usually not an option without a transplant, but my husband's situation is kind of wierd. He went into kidney failure due to dehydration. (his kidneys were already weak from high doses of chemo when he got a nasty GI infection and became severely dehydrated). The docs have always maintained that hey felt that he would recover, but so far it has not happened. His PD catheter was placed on 12/23/08 (not the Christmas present he wanted!) and he started on PD 3 weeks later. His catheter was not functioning properly and x-rays showed that it was all kinked and coiled up. So... dialysis was suspended for a couple of days and we are going to see the surgeon tomorrow to set up laparoscopic surgery to correct the problem. ( we are now attempting manual exchanges, but since his catheter is not functioning the way it should, I am predicting that this will not go very well!) A few days ago, the docs thought that he might have been able to come off entirely because he is putting out over 3 litres of urine a day and has had excellent urine production since even prior to starting PD. The problem is that his creatinine which was 9 when he started and dropped to 7 a few weeks later, ist still at 7 as of today. The docs are still saying that his kidneys will probably heal, but because his creatinine is still so high they don't want to take the chance and stop dialysis now. My husband is OK, he just wants to know one way or the other. Has anyone ever heard of anyone who has actually come off of PD without having to go through a transplant?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »

Has he had a 24 hour urine collection test? You can keep producing urine but it is "quality, not quantity" - so seeing how well his kidneys are filtering would be beneficial.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »

He may be removing fluid, but his kidneys may not actually be filtering the toxins at present.  Maybe a little bit of dialysis is needed to help kick start the kidneys.  Just a thought.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »

I know a young couple in your exact situation, even the Christmas start time.  They are hoping and praying that his kidneys start up again.  They are doing incenter Hemo right now.

I have seen kidney function return when it was acute failure like your husbands.  Keep the faith.  Until the doctors say there is no hope.... then there is HOPE!!

:waving;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »

Yup, it's possible to recover from certain kinds of kidney failure - or at least regain enough function that dialysis is not needed.  Hope it works out that way for your hubby!
 :grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

silverhead

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »

Because Sharon was not diagnosed properly in time to save her kidney function (blocked Ureters) she had a nephrostomy tube inserted in her back into her her 1 functioning kidney, it drained 2 to 2-1/2 liters a day for almost 2 years, but she still needed dialysis, the kidney was removing fluid, but was not filtering any toxins at all. Hope that's not what you are experiencing......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »

I put out a significant amount of "fluid" right up until the morning of transplant and my Creatinine was at 5.1 at that time (a little higher over the summer) and my GFR was 7.  But like Okarol said, a that time it was "quanity, not quality".    I was getting rid of fluid, but not a lot of toxins and such.  Post transplant my urine has a nice color to it, where as pre-transplant it was almost clear, hardly any color at all.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »

yep, I have heard of acute kidney failure caused by dehydration recovering and getting off the dreaded dialysis... so it may just take time for them to recover. I too put out some urine but it's almost always clear, which basically means the kidneys are doing bugger all (which I knew anyway!) so the only thing that's good about putting out lots of urine is that fluid restrictions (I know this isn't really an issue for pd folks) isn't going to be a concern....

fingers crossed he gets better!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »