I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:46:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Drug reimbursement on home hemo different than conventional hemo?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drug reimbursement on home hemo different than conventional hemo?  (Read 1983 times)
swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« on: February 16, 2009, 05:40:08 PM »

While I was browsing around, I saw a short thread about not getting prescriptiion reimbursement because the person was on home dialysis. Can that be a reason for an insurance company to not pay for meds? I can't imagine why but has that been home dialysis patients experiences on this site?

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »

We have seen NO changes in Marvin's drug benefits since he's been on home hemo (18 months now).
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »

Some things get a bit more complicated on home hemo - Nxstage isn't set up for drug dosing while you are on a run.  It's possible, but it's sort of an "off-label" use of the machine.  It makes things that are normally dosed thru the machine harder to get.  My insurance will not pay for iron to be given thru home hemo.  If I need iron, I have to go to the infusion center and get it all at once, instead of in small doses over several days like they do in-center.  (And some insurance companies won't let you get a large dose, either, so you have to keep going back repeatedly.)  Things like Aranesp and Hectorol also require some juggling to work out, since the billing is different if you aren't receiving it in-center.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »

Generally any injectable medication (except Epo) is an issue with Medicare reimbursement at home. You might have seen people talking about not being able to give themselves iron at home. The iron is covered but has to be administered incenter. This may be changing (should change) once the expanded bundle comes into effect but for now if you're at home you'll get your iron during clinic visits and if you need activated vitamin D you'll take a pill.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »