I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Is colon cleanse safe?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is colon cleanse safe?  (Read 3411 times)
kidneyx3

« on: February 12, 2009, 03:23:30 AM »

I know I should be happy I have a great transplant, but this weight gain is really upsetting me!  :banghead; I heard about about a weight loss plan involving acai berry and a colon cleanse. Do you think using a colon cleanse will affect the absorption of the meds?
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »

The "cleanse" might do damage to the kidney.
Better ask your nephrologist first. 

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:23:43 AM »

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=11953.0
This thread talks about the berries in question.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
openboat

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »

I have been told not to use any Sodium Phosphate solutions due to CKD - that includes products like Fleet and Phospho-soda which are used pre-colonoscopy. 
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »

"Potential Dangers
Colonic irrigation can potentially cause severe adverse effects and must be carefully administered. People receiving frequent treatments may absorb too much water, leading to electrolyte imbalances in the blood, nausea, vomiting, heart failure, fluid in the lungs, abnormal heart rhythms or coma. Infections have been reported, possibly because of contaminated equipment or as a result of clearing out normal colon bacteria. There is a risk of bowel perforation (breakage of the bowel wall), which is a severe complication. Deaths have been reported.
Colonic irrigation should not be used in people with diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, severe or internal hemorrhoids or tumors in the rectum or colon. It also should not be used soon after bowel surgery (unless directed by your health care provider). Regular treatments should be avoided by people with heart disease or kidney disease (renal insufficiency). Be sure that the equipment used is sterile and that the practitioner is experienced. Colonic irrigation should not be used as the sole treatment (instead of more proven therapies) for severe conditions, and it should not delay consultation with a qualified health care provider for a potentially severe symptom or illness."

I personally would avoid anything that carries this list of potential dangers.  I'm not sure where the idea that the colon needs cleansing came from but just like ear candling, it makes no sense at all to me. 
The best way to keep things moving through the colon is to eat a diet that is high in fibre...fresh fruits and lots of veggies.  Psyillium is also an excellent thing to take on a daily basis as it provides a lot of fibre for the body and also helps you to feel full longer.

Any doctors I've ever talked to about colonic cleansing seem to feel that it is bunk and could cause lasting damage.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »