I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  What I miss....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What I miss....  (Read 5506 times)
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« on: February 04, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

When first informed of the changes we must make in our dietary urges we balk, but we jump gung ho into the situation, sometimes cutting too much.  As time goes on, you set into a routine (which is the LAST thing I want my foods to be) and I tend to eat the same things...over and over and over.

Living in the Northeast I am accustomed to cold winters...long dark spells and SOUP!  My kids call me the Soup Queen...so adjusting my homemade soup recipes to low salt was an easy task. ( I bow down to Mrs Dash...the goddess of everything low sodium)

What I miss......Tomato Soup....I have looked for recipes, everything I find has salt...or if I try to make it without tastes quite like....ummmm  YACK!

Does anyone have a recipe for tomato soup that is low salt?  I would greatly appreciate it!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »

I miss Orange juice and grapefruit juice.   Sigh!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »

Ohhhhhh grapefruit juice......sigh....thanks for the reminder!    :rofl;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »

grapefruit juice yummy

But yes a nice tomato soup would be nice.  I love soup

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »

I miss whole grain breads and high fibre cereal and I miss beans of all kinds.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:22:43 PM »

At the risk of getting stomped, no food is completely forbidden!  You just have to remember to eat "forbidden" foods in moderation.  I eat everything mentioned except the grapefruit as it interacts with my BP med.  Today I have a tomato slice on my sandwich, tomorrow I have a little guacamole.  As I tell my Hispanic friends, you don't have to give up beans completely, you just can't have them with every meal!   
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »

I just miss having an appetite. Nothing taste the sameor I can't have it or one reason or another. The foods I loved before I can no longer tolerate for some reasons (I miss hot and spicey foods)

I like chocolate and eat that, but it doesn't put on weight that peole claim it does.

Maybe they need to move around these organs to a better placement.

As for the Tomato Soup, can other spices and sugars be used instead of salt? or just a little salt and the rest spices?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:54:11 AM »

At the risk of getting stomped, no food is completely forbidden!  You just have to remember to eat "forbidden" foods in moderation.  I eat everything mentioned except the grapefruit as it interacts with my BP med.  Today I have a tomato slice on my sandwich, tomorrow I have a little guacamole.  As I tell my Hispanic friends, you don't have to give up beans completely, you just can't have them with every meal!   

Not stomping here at all P.  I do eat little bits of all those things at times but since I struggle with high phosphorus I do not eat bowls of bean concoctions and I miss them.  I will also eat the occasional piece of multi-grain bread but mostly I eat white bread and feel like I'm eating styrofoam.   I like a very healthy grain, fruit and veggie diet, little meat and my dialysis diet is not at all like how I prefer to eat.  But I do what I must to keep this life ticking along.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:08:53 AM »

Okarol posted a thread yesterday stating that there is no rock solid proof the restrictive diets do anything.
it is inconclusive.  They think it slows down the progression of the disease.
I may have misread the article>
The only thing rock solid is that Sodium is bad for us.

For me being predialysis but knowing it is right around the corner i eat what i want pretty much.
I know in the near future that will change.  But to restrick myself now to get maybe a couple weeks more of no dialysis doesnt make much sense to me.  It will happen nothing will change that fact.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
JeffKinzer

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »

My two biggest missed favorites.

Banana's and milk...
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »

Okarol posted a thread yesterday stating that there is no rock solid proof the restrictive diets do anything.
it is inconclusive.  They think it slows down the progression of the disease.
I may have misread the article>
The only thing rock solid is that Sodium is bad for us.

For me being predialysis but knowing it is right around the corner i eat what i want pretty much.
I know in the near future that will change.  But to restrick myself now to get maybe a couple weeks more of no dialysis doesnt make much sense to me.  It will happen nothing will change that fact.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=12228.0#msg210383
I think you have misunderstood the point of this article Paul.

1.  The author is talking about patients ON dialysis, not pre-dialysis patients.   

2.  Even pre-dialysis patients will need to watch their phosphorus because if not we may be adding bone disease to our already long list of potential troubles.

3.  A low-protein diet is recommended usually for pre-dialysis patients but once on D, we need more protein than the average person of our size.  The article suggests that cutting back protein in order to control our phosphorus intake is a bad idea because we need protein so as not to become malnourished.  Better to take binders for phosphorus absorption and also to cut out preserved and processed foods rather than high quality protein.

4.  The article doesn't mention this but renal patients also have higher incidences of heart disease so controlling our intake of fats (especially saturated fats)  is crucial if we want to avoid high cholesterol and atherosclerosis which can lead to heart attacks.

5.  Diet and medication compliance (taking binders faithfully) are two things we can do for ourselves with this disease and they both make a world of difference to our eventual outcomes.

6.  Salt is certainly NOT the only thing that is bad for us.  Potassium, phosphorus and fats are also highly dangerous substances for ESRD patients in general although there are individual differences in the case of both potassium and phosphorus, particularly pre-dialysis.  You need to know your numbers though in order to make informed choices about these two.   Saturated fat however is bad for all of us, renal patients and everyone else too.

If this is not the article you were referring to perhaps you could post the link again for me.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »

Hi Monrein.
Yes that is the article.  The first paragraph.  Albeit i dont know what many of them terms for foods mean.

You are one ore reason i like to come here.   You can give me and many others information that we may not know about, or fully understand.
My point about myself was just to say.
If i learned of this disease years ago and knew my numbers i could have maybe postponed D for a half year maybe even years.  But learning of it so late in the game going on a diet isnt going to give me much if any extra time away from D.
But it is NEVER to late to change bad eating habits.
And this is what i have to come to terms with once i start D if not even now.

Ps.  i did put a disclosure in my last post  ;)

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 04:44:43 AM »

I miss hot soup of any kind in winter since I don't have it (except in RARE situations, and then very little) it adds to the fluid.

I miss bananas too.

I do eat "bad" things though but in moderation so if I have something that's a little higher in potassium for one meal, the next I have low... so over a day or so to try and balance things out. Seems to work reasonably well labs wise.

The fluids are the hardest for me.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 06:12:03 AM »

PERFECT! :yahoo;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »