I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 04:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney brings friends closer together
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney brings friends closer together  (Read 1408 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: February 06, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »

Kidney brings friends closer together

By KRISTEN HACKNEY-REDMAN Lubbock Avalanche-Journal © 2009 The Associated Press
Feb. 2, 2009, 9:24AM

LUBBOCK, Texas — Karla Hope of Lubbock always knew there was a chance she had polycystic kidney disease, which could kill her. But she didn't want to get tested because not only is there no cure, but it also would be difficult for her to get health or life insurance.

She gave in at age 24 at her mother's request.

A sonogram confirmed there were cysts in Hope's kidney.

She had the genetic disorder in which cysts develop in the kidneys. For some people, the cysts may never grow large enough to cause problems. Others develop kidney failure.

Hope's mother also had polycystic kidney disease. There was a 50-50 chance she would pass along the disease to any one of her children. All three of her children inherited the disease.

Hope's mother had been on dialysis since age 52, but it came to a point her kidneys were making her very ill and needed to come out, Hope said.

After 14 years of body-weakening dialysis, the surgery was more than her mother's body could handle. Her heart gave out, and she died in 2002 at age 66.

After seeing what her mother went through, Hope wanted to try to avoid ever having to have dialysis. When doctors told her in 2007, at age 44, that her kidney function was declining, she knew it was time to have a kidney transplant. She wanted to have both of her kidneys removed when she received the new kidney so she could avoid having another surgery later if the remaining diseased kidney made her ill.

Hope found Dr. David Van Buren, a urologist who performs kidney transplants at University Medical Center, who agreed to remove both kidneys during the transplant. While kidney transplants aren't new to Lubbock, Hope's surgery would be unique by being the first in Lubbock in which both kidneys would be removed at the time of the transplant, she said.

Before the transplant, Hope led a fairly normal life, she said. She had some fatigue, backaches and abdominal discomfort because her kidneys had become so large. But, because the transplant was performed before Hope became ill enough to need dialysis, she said she never felt very sick. In fact, the day before she went into the hospital for the transplant, she served as a ball girl for a tennis tournament at Texas Tech.

All Hope needed was to find a kidney donor. Nine people were tested to see if they could donate a kidney to Hope. Her best friend from Brownfield High School and former tennis doubles partner, Leigh Hudson, was the only match.

Hudson is a certified public accountant who owns an advertising agency with her husband in Dallas. She said the decision to donate her kidney to Hope was not difficult at all.

"It was what I was supposed to do," Hudson said.

While the eight other potential donors were being tested, Hudson had her kit sent to her in Dallas. She had her blood work done at a lab in Dallas and sent it to Lubbock for testing, but Hudson's first tests came back inconclusive. By this time, the other eight potential donors had been ruled out as matches, she said.

"When Karla told me this, she seemed somewhat defeated," Hudson said. "Something inside of me told me that I was going to be her donor. I assured her of my feeling, and sure enough, when my test results came back, we were as close to a match as we could possibly be without being related. I knew that would be the outcome. I know now that it was God's plan all along."

Hope said in the time leading up to the transplant, she was most worried for Hudson.

"If something went wrong with her, I would feel horrible," Hope said.

Likewise, Hudson was concerned for Hope.

"I never worried about my well-being because I knew having one kidney wouldn't affect my life at all," Hudson said. "I was nervous for her most of all because her life was about to change forever."

Having the transplant meant Hope would no longer have to worry about when her kidneys would hit end-stage renal failure. She wouldn't have to worry about one day needing to be hooked up to a dialysis machine to live, Hope said.

The surgery was a success. It took about a year for Hope to feel back to normal, she said, but she now feels really well. Without the enlarged kidneys, she said she feels more comfortable because there's more room for her organs in her abdomen.

Right after the surgery, Hope was taking 22 pills each day, but now she takes 14. Many of the unpleasant side effects of the immunosuppressant drugs — such as shakiness, sleeplessness and a burning sensation in the feet - have declined, she said.

Hope does have to take extra precautions, such as frequent hand washing and avoiding people who are sick, because the drugs she takes to keep her body from attacking the new kidney lower her immune system, leaving her more susceptible to infections. Fortunately, Hope has not had any major illness since having the kidney transplant.

"It was really hard emotionally for me to receive such a gift," Hope said. "That 'thank you' is so inadequate. It's something you can never repay. ... You say 'thank you' over and over again. It seems like it comes up short."

Hudson, however, would do it again if she could. She said she and Hope are now sisters, and this experience has brought the two of them closer.

"I have a scar about four inches long that I am so proud of," Hudson said. "Every time I see it, I am reminded of what a small sacrifice it was for me to make in order to give Karla a chance for a normal and full life."

Hope said she thinks God had the transplant planned out well before it occurred.

Having the transplant done at home allowed Hope to be near friends and family during the recovery period, she said. "We were astounded by everyone's love and concern," Hope said.

Hope will be honored at the University Medical Center Gala at 7 p.m. Saturday at the McInturff Center, 602 Indiana Ave.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6242194.html#

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »