I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:18:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What is Davita?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Davita?  (Read 4266 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: September 24, 2005, 09:01:59 AM »

I am absolutely new to dialysis stuff, except seeing a bit of what my brother went through.  What is Davita?  I am a bit grateful to them for making Epoman start this message board.  You don't know how much it is helping me. 
What is Epogen?

Message from ADMIN:  This site is in no way affiliated with Davita. They did not create or influence my decision to create this site. Nor do they provide funding for this site. This is all funded by me personally.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 11:55:59 AM by Epoman » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 11:48:02 AM »

I am absolutely new to dialysis stuff, except seeing a bit of what my brother went through.  What is Davita?  I am a bit grateful to them for making Epoman start this message board.  You don't know how much it is helping me. 
What is Epogen?

:o :o :o :o :o Uh excuse me? Davita did not make me do anything. I am in no way affiliated with Davita in fact I do not even like Davita as a company. Just out of curiosity why would you think Davita made me create this site? In fact I even advertised this site on Davita's Message board and they deleted my post they don't want patients to hear the truth about dialysis they want to sugar-coat it. They edit and or delete patients posts that are harsh or in any way anti-dialysis.

To answer your questions:

"Davita" is one if not the largest dialysis provider in the country.

"Epogen" is a drug dialysis patients take to help give them strength, to help keep our hemotocrit at a near normal number.

I am not mad at you for thinking davita made me create this site  :), I am just shocked  :o you thought that. I am glad this site is helping you and I hope you enjoy it, Welcome.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:17:21 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:10:47 PM »

I don't think you understand what I meant when I said that I am grateful.  I got the impression that you started this website because of your dissatisfaction with this Davita.  I meant it in a tongue-in-cheek way. It seemed to me that if you were not dissatisfied with them, I wouldn't have had this site that I think will be very important in my handling of the situation that I am facing now.
I hope you understand.  Didn't mean it as it sounded.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 06:38:48 PM »

I don't think you understand what I meant when I said that I am grateful.  I got the impression that you started this website because of your dissatisfaction with this Davita.  I meant it in a tongue-in-cheek way. It seemed to me that if you were not dissatisfied with them, I wouldn't have had this site that I think will be very important in my handling of the situation that I am facing now.
I hope you understand.  Didn't mean it as it sounded.

;D oh now I get it. I wasn't mad at you or anything I just thought that you thought Davita helped with the creation of this site. I was in shock. I think Davita is ridiculous and a two-faced company. You are right though Davita was a big reason I created this site. I wish I thought of making this site sooner since many people have thanked me for making this site and that makes me very happy that I am helping others with a very difficult situation. Like I had mentioned in a previous post, I wish there had been a site like this when I first started.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 09:25:29 PM »

I'm glad you understand me now.  Now, what is 'hemotocrit'?

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 10:15:47 PM »

I'm glad you understand me now.  Now, what is 'hemotocrit'?

Text taken from RenalWEB.com:

Anemia is a common complication of end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Anemia occurs when there is a shortage of red blood cells or when the red blood cells are not correctly formed. In dialysis units, anemia is usually measured by the hematocrit blood test, which reports the percentage of the blood that is comprised of red blood cells. Normally, a hematocrit is from 37% to 47% for women and from 42% to 52% for men. Without interventions, a dialysis patient's hematocrit usually stabilizes between 20-25%. At this level, most patients tire easily and feel drained of energy. Several statistical analyses have shown that dialysis patients have signficantly more complications, hospitalizations, and a higher mortality rate when their hematocrit is below 30% (approximately).

Dialysis patients experience anemia (low hematocrit) primarily because their kidneys no longer produce adequate amounts of erythropoietin (EPO). EPO is the principal factor that stimulates red blood cell production in the bone marrow.

Before 1990, most dialysis patients experienced moderate to severe anemia on a long-term basis. At that time, dialysis patients were given frequent blood transfusions which also exposed them to possible infection by bloodborne pathogens such as hepatitis viruses and HIV. Today, thanks to the availability of bioengineered EPO, the need for most transfusions has been eliminated.

With most patients now routinely receiving EPO during their dialysis treatments, hematocrits are routinely in the range of 30-36%. The NKF-DOQI recommended target hematocrit range for dialysis patients currently is 33% to 36%. Most insurance companies and Medicare will not reimburse the dialysis facilities for EPO injections when the patient's hematocrit is above a certain number (36% approximately).

The production of healthy blood cells is also dependent on the body having enough iron, vitamin B12, folic acid and other substances. If a patient does not respond to EPO therapy, the most likely cause is a deficiency of iron. For this reason, most dialysis centers routinely monitor iron levels in the blood.

History of EPOGEN taken from epogen.com:

In 1989, a genetically engineered protein -- EPOGENŽ (Epoetin alfa) -- was introduced, providing a means for patients with kidney failure to lead more active, productive lives. Prior to the availability of EPOGENŽ, many individuals receiving lifesaving dialysis treatments were severely handicapped by the debilitating anemia found in approximately 90 percent of all dialysis patients.

In healthy individuals, kidneys perform the vital functions of removing waste products from the body, maintaining fluid levels, controlling blood pressure, processing vitamin D and regulating the production of red blood cells. Natural erythropoietin, a glycoprotein produced by the kidneys, circulates through the blood stream to bone marrow, where it stimulates red blood cell production. Red blood cells perform the essential function of transporting oxygen throughout the body. When the kidneys fail, production of erythropoietin ceases, and the production of red blood cells is hindered, usually resulting in anemia. 

This anemia is frequently severe. Patients are left with red blood cell levels -- and oxygen-carrying capacity -- of only one-third to one-half that of healthy adults. Traditionally, anemia in dialysis patients has been treated with repeated blood transfusions. Moreover, frequent transfusions may cause iron to accumulate in vital organs, a potentially serious disorder referred to as "iron overload." Transfusions also can result in development of antibodies that can preclude patients from later receiving a successful kidney transplant.

EPOGENŽ is used to elevate and maintain red blood cell levels. Clinical studies have demonstrated that an increased hematocrit (percentage of red blood cells in blood volume) resulting from EPOGENŽ therapy has significant impact on the dialysis patients' lives. The target hematocrit range for dialysis patients using EPOGENŽ therapy is 30-36%. Healthy persons have a hematocrit range of 38-46%.

Hope that helps.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

DaVitaJohn

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 02:53:03 PM »

Hello from A DaVitan.
I found this site doing some research for my team, and decided to join.
I work in a Customer Service portion of the company, and am just looking around at what is happening.

I hope to have chances to review the boards more often.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 06:35:29 PM »

Ha~  I guess I'm a DaVitan too because I go there and PAY $3,000 a time including Epogen!   :P

Anyway, John, welcome and if you want the truth, ask your questions here and "stand back!"

Bear

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »

O.K.!!! Own up!!!!  Who threw all that rotten fruit & veges at the
nice DaVita man!!????????   ;D ;D ::)

waves...Bear
tweetykiss

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »

My husband also goes to Davita...he just transfered there last week and the first blood test they did there, his blood count was very low....:(
He had to be admitted into the hospital and had a slew of tests to make sure he was not bleeding and he passed.  They now claim they are giving him epo shots.  I sure hope so but I don't understand why he is still tired when he was given two units of blood.

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »