I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 08:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  How do you know when to start dialysis?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you know when to start dialysis?  (Read 26917 times)
tweetykiss

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »

The doctor at the VA said there are two math equations in determining kidney function as far as cret levels....now my husband's cret just went down from a 3.1 to a 2.8 and that same doctor said with one equation, it is at 25% and the other equation says 39% and on another GFR calculator, it says 27%......the nephrologist said 25 - 30% and he says we are not at a point of transplants but then he said something about dialysis centers.......

Now last week, they did a kidney biopsy since they are baffled what is causing this since he is not diabetic and has no family history of this and his BP is always normal even though he is on meds for that........a couple doctors stated that it may be some disease that can be treated and if this is the case, there is hope......

I am just praying he does not need dialysis.........

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
keefer51

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »

The first time i went on dialysis i received a test where a dye was injected into me and this test determined how much function i had left. It was 18% i think my creatine was 4.8. Because of pressure from my family i went on dialysis. I was on for a year before my brother gave me one of his kidneys. The whole time i was on dialysis i went from 4.8 to 7.4. After ten or more years the kidney failed. My creatine was at 4.7. I waited a years or so before going on dialysis the second time. My creatine was 10.0 when i finally gave in. Now my creatine goes from 12.4 to 16.7.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »