I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  16 year old gives organs but family can't pay bills...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 16 year old gives organs but family can't pay bills...  (Read 1944 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: January 25, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »

This will open at the bottom of the page, so you will have to scroll up to read the article.

http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2-012109-lorissa.16ec1a97.html?ocp=1#slcgm_comments_anchor

On the local news this girls family and friends have taken to the streets of Spokane to collect money for hospital bills and funeral expenses.

It doesn't look like she donated her kidneys but her heart, lungs and liver went to others.

I logged on to this news site and gave my speech about how the donor's family should be compensated for something.  Medical bills, funeral expenses SOMETHING!

We need to fight for this!  This is just CRAP!  Her funeral is tomorrow and the family is trying to raise funds by standing out in the street?  Is this a 3rd world country or what?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:25:02 PM by Rerun » Logged

Wallyz

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »

Shameful.  I can't believe we can't address this as communities.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:36:34 PM »

Wasn't this something the NKF was against, compensation for donating in a post okarol posted some time ago.

Hopefully the funeral home is cutting them some slack. It would give them some publicity to their business if they did so, so it would be a win win situation for the family and the funeral home.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »

What I would like is for everyone to go on this site and just SHAME the heck out of the hospital for even giving the family a Bill.  I don't know which hospital, and you don't need a name.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »

Here's the whole article:

In her death Lorissa gave life

01:36 PM PST on Thursday, January 22, 2009
BY KEVIN BLOCKER; KREM.com

CHENEY -- Debbie Hammel had a previous discussion with daughter Lorissa Green about being an organ donor.

Little did mom know that on her own accord Lorissa would make that decision without informing her.

The 16-year-old Cheney High School sophomore died Friday night after a two vehicle accident on Highway 195 near the Cheney Spokane Road.

The official investigation states Green failed to yield while entering an intersection. She was then hit by an oncoming truck.

In the days since her death; however, Lorissa's heart was donated to an 18-year-old girl, her liver went to a 21-year-old, a portion of her shoulder blade went to boy who was nearly crushed to death in a separate accident and her lungs were donated to a woman.

"I didn't know she had signed up to be an organ donor; I'm so proud of her," Hammel told KREM.com on Wednesday morning. "It was like she knew it would be hard for me, she took that responsibility out of my hands."

As a survivor Hammel admitted the process of organ donation was harder than she thought.

For three days Lorissa's heart was kept beating in an ICU. Doctors declared her brain dead Friday night.

Hammel said it was heart wrenching to watch her daughter's body begin to recover in such a short period of time but knowing that she was brain dead.

"One of her lungs was badly damaged and doctors didn't think it would be any good (for organ donation)," she said. "But sure enough it healed."

Lorissa's death follows the death of her father who was killed in a recreational accident in North Idaho last August.

"She was just a great kid; so full of life," Hammel said.

Lorissa's funeral services are scheduled for Monday.

After that, Hammel said her next steps will be to start a campaign to see that safety changes are made at the intersection where her daughter was killed.

"We've lived out here six years and it continues to get worse," Hammel said. "That intersection needs to be changed."

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »

I left a comment there, but not as elequent.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012