I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:33:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Team Walking for Nana and Nina will walk again!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Team Walking for Nana and Nina will walk again!  (Read 10485 times)
AlohaBeth

« on: January 20, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »

Aloha everyone! 

As most know, we are nearing the sad anniversary of losing IHD's dear Susie (Goofynina).  Last year you helped pay tribute to her incredible spirit by helping my family raise over $7,000!  To read about last years incredible journey for Team Walking for Nana and Nina you can follow this link...http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7017.0

For those who don't know, Team Walking for Nana and Nina is a team that I formed last year only a few short hours after my Mother (Paris) recieved the call that Susie "Goofynina" Trevino had passed away.  Our team walked in March of last year with over 30 walkers and $7,000 raised! 
My Mother, Paris, is called by her grandchildren "Nana", hence the teams name...  We walk for them, but we walk for you too. 

This March we will once again participate in the National Kidney Foundations Triangle Kidney Walk! 

Here are a few ways you can help us move towards a better future for all those living with and affected by Chronic Kidney Disease and Renal Failure...

You can follow this link to donate on our teams page... https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=285959&lis=1&kntae285959=949D0930FF694BFE9294387DB663D9FD&supId=205271606  I know this is a horrible time for everyone economically, but we are grateful for any thing that you can give -- take a cue from my young neices and nephews - they are saving pocket and cushion change and donating all their findings!

If you are in the area - you can walk with us on March 28!  Follow the link above to join the team and beginning raising money for the NKF!

If you live elsewhere and are not able to donate but still want to help, you can join our team and raise money from your area of the country!  Again, follow that link above and help us reach our goal!  This year we hope to raise $7,500 as a team, but need your help to do it!

I was so humbled by the response we recieved from everyone on this site last year during this time.  I can never thank you enough.  Being able to do something for my Mom after all she has done for me is a great feeling.  You all are heroes.  Thank you.

Imagine a world that lived with the Aloha Spirit.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »

:cheer:  Good luck!  :cheer:

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:47:52 AM »

This year we will also be walking to remember our dear IHD members who joined Susie.   We will walk with Nola Gail, Chuck, Dustin, Fllip, Mickey and Ohio Buckey beside us.  And leading us, as always, will be Epoman. 

My family would like to invite all the members who are in driving distance to spend the day with us.  First, at the Walk and then at a barbeque with us.  My son is already planning to smoke a "butt"--He loves his smoker!  There are so many members in North Carolina, and I would love to have the chance for us to meet in person.   The Walk is Saturday, March 28th at 10;  I will post more information in the next few days.   What better way to honor all our friends at IHD than to gather together and share the day?     So, mark the day, wear you walking shoes (or just sit with me!) and then join us for food and fellowship.  I am really excited about seeing friends that I feel I know so well.   Bring your families, too!   Do we have an "eating" smlley??  This will work   :beer1;  !!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:50:54 PM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »

Hope it goes as well or better than last year. :thumbup;
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »

:cheer:

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »

smoke a "butt"

WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN???

You guys are crazy   :rofl;

http://www.kimhoben.com
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »

:rofl;  He has a wood smoker and his favorite meat of choice to smoke is a pork "butt".  Not sure what the cut of meat is called in Canada.  I am sure you have a much more civilized name for it.   :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl; 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 03:54:15 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Not sure if we do, I will ask the butcher!

http://www.kimhoben.com
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »

It's the butt end of the pork shoulder.  It is a very fatty cut and therefore considered very good for barbecuing and for pulled pork sandwiches.  Some say it's called the butt because it butts up against the shoulder blade while others say it was originally called "Boston butt" because the barrels used to ship meat into Boston were called butts.  I tend to think it's the first but who knows.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:15:32 PM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »

Todd just loves to use the word "butt"!  Very mature  :rofl;   His pork is so tender and has a slight hickory taste.   Thanks Monrein!  I have heard the first definition. but the other sounds resonable too.    He'll cook enough for an army and I will match his pork with equal amounts of chicken, potato salad, pasta salad, veggies, baked beans  --- is my food bribe working on anyone?   :rofl;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »

Heck yeah, it worked on me...I'm very easy that way... but I think I have a previously accepted invitation with a surgeon here in Toronto.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »

You, my dear, have a much better event to attend.   :bandance;    :grouphug;

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 05:50:07 PM »

You are less than 4 hours from me, but I am scheduled to visit my son that weekend. 
It all sounds great and I wish the team the very best.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »

I'll know next month how much I can donate. Not sure I can drive there. Need one of the Southwest Deals, "Wanna Get Away" for $9

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »

Whose butt will he be smoking?   :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 08:22:11 AM »

He rubs it before he smokes it!!  He can be very immature!!  :rofl;

AlohaBeth

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »

YAYAYAY!!!  We had our First IHD Donation!  I love you guys so much!!   :bow;

But here is the vey minor silly problem!  I don't know the actual name of this person versus their screenname and I would love to!  If you wish to remain anonymous - just pm me :) 

Thanks so much to everyone for their awesome support!!!

Imagine a world that lived with the Aloha Spirit.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »

I am so excited!!   Rookiegirl and Petey are going to join us and spend the day with my family.   I think three IHDers together is a real mini meetup!  G-ma wants to come, we just need for her sweetie to come home to comfirm.   I am so very happy.  I should warn you--my family can be crazy, loud and fun!!  There will be 9 grandkids from 3 to 11, so they will keep us entertained.   Now remember, anything I have said on IHD stays on IHD!!!    :secret;    It is all between you and me!!   :rofl;   I am looking forward to sitting around with my friends    :cuddle;  :cuddle;
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:21:55 AM by paris » Logged

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »

I should warn you--my family can be crazy, loud and fun!!  There will be 9 grandkids from 3 to 11, so they will keep us entertained.   Now remember, anything I have said on IHD stays on IHD!!!    :secret;    It is all between you and me!!   :rofl;   I am looking forward to sitting around with my friends    :cuddle;  :cuddle;

Marvin and I are looking forward to it, too, Paris!  As for the crazy, loud, fun family you have ... we'll feel right at home and fit right in.  :rofl;
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 04:53:14 PM »

Should I wear my purple boa, Paris?  I don't want to stick out like an odd ball.  However, I doubt I can get Marvin to wear one; he still has this "man thing" going on where the boas are concerned.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »

Definately!  It wouldn't be in IHD party without one!  Last year we got Sidney the Kidney and the Wolfpack mascot to wear them.  There were purple feathers everywhere.  Our dear Susie floating around everywhere we go   :cuddle;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »

It can be a very small world.  My daughters and I were at the touring production of Rent last night.  Melissa has had an information table in the lobby with the Aids Alliance.  She was passing out flyers on the Aids Walk she is in charge of.  So, the couple next to me where talking about her----I said "don't say anything bad, that's my daughter"   :rofl;  Well, they thought she was great.  We started talking and found out they are on the board of the place were I rescued my sweet cat.    There really is a point to this story!!   The lady said they were having a Walk and would we like to be on her team.   Beth replied "funny you should ask, we have a Walk also"   While explaining our Walk, the young lady in front of me turned around and said "I have kidney disease!".     She is in college and holding steady with her numbers.  So everyone got invited to everyones Walks  and we are all helping each other.     After, back at the stage door, I saw the young woman again.  I told her all about IHD and then hugged her and said take care of yourself, you are going to be OK.  Her eyes misted over and she said no one talks about it.   I hope she comes to the site and finds a second home like I have.    :cuddle;

ToddB

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »

I hear you guys were talking about my butt!!!!!   :2thumbsup; :shy;

Actually, not only do I rub my butt before smoking it, but my wife rubs it too!!!!! 

I'm also going to make my world famous smoked baked beans also.  It should be a feast to remember.

Maybe I'll even get my dutch oven by then and make some peach cobbler to go with it.

I've even received a couple marriage proposals because of my butt.  :thx;

See you all at the walk!!!!!

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »

Ahhhhhh it's Todd the butt rubber!!!  Nice to meet you....and your butt.

LOL  Trust me...there are people reading this post just a shakin their heads!

But even as a NY Yankee....I appreciate a good butt!  AND a good sense of humor.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »

Paris has  a butt rubber for a son/son in law.   Heaven help us!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »