I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:55:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  Ukraine...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ukraine...  (Read 2117 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: January 25, 2022, 07:12:45 AM »

"Things" do look very grim right now, but there is still hope that "it all" works itself out diplomatically and without any serious "sable-rattling" and/or invasion.
... But nevertheless, it is quite worrying that all of a sudden Cuba seems to play an almost sinister rôle ... again ... and hopefully it is just some sort of frightening bluff ...

Just recently my husband and I were contemplating how lucky our generation has been so far to enjoy the luxury of living without any deadly political conflicts and without any horrific wars for our generation to go through and now all of a sudden there is this terrible dark cloud and fear upon all of us  ... Let us hope for some sober logic and humanitarian thoughts to come along a.s.a.p. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 02:55:46 PM »

... One month later and unfortunately no diplomats have been noticed to halt this destruction ...
It almost would appear that we, the current citizens of this world, are in urgent need of some international "diplomatic schools/establishments" to get some future-hopefuls well trained ? ...  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 10:50:01 AM »

This is a situation where both sides want diplomacy to work, but are intractable in what they consider an acceptable and fair resolution.    It's hard to see the other side's position when you objectively "know" you are in the right.  Unfortunately, that is an opinion held by both sides which means the issue will be resolved with "might makes right".

Remember, the US was prepared to use military force to deny a sovereign nation not at war with us, Cuba, the ability to choose what weapons it could possess.  Think gun control on an international scale where it is "US  controlling the world" rather than "US government controlling its citizens".    Russia uses military force to prevent a nation on their border allying with their enemy.    Just imaging how the US would react if Mexico were on the verge of joining the Warsaw Pact.

The bravery of the Ukes has been astounding - none of this Kuwait "Party in Dubai while foreign forces kick out our invaders" stuff.   I hope they win, but this could become even worse than it is because I expect Russia will do anything and everything to avoid saying "Yes, you win, you are in charge, we are not.".  Hopefully, Ukraine will win but it is going to become a disaster of biblical proportions.
plugger

I only look like a sheep - but I ain't

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 06:57:05 AM »

I must say here in the U.S. I am unhappy about the heavy corporate influence in our government.  However I'll take that over living under the heel of a dictator - which almost happened here!

The Ukrainians have had a front row seat to what it is like to live under a dictator, it is obvious they made their choice.

Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed, renewed in 2012 and 2019

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

On my tombstone: He was a good kind of crazy

www.dialysisethics2.org
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 02:54:29 PM »

Many thanks, Simon Dog and Plugger for your most interesting inputs... My own mind remains disturbed about this "whole affair" for following reasons:

The President of the European Commission Ursula Gertrud von der Leyen has stated the following:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/statement_22_1441

... To me personally it seems strange, that the EU-Committee seems to take matters into their own hands and decide for the European-people? Why are EU-people not allowed to receive all information about this matter and why are EU-people not allowed to receive news from Russia, instead of having to rely on the censorship of the  EU-Commission on all Russian news ? Is that really necessary and if, why is that so? ....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 02:59:50 PM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 02:35:18 AM »

... One month later and unfortunately no diplomats have been noticed to halt this destruction ...
It almost would appear that we, the current citizens of this world, are in urgent need of some international "diplomatic schools/establishments" to get some future-hopefuls well trained ? ...  :grouphug;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3QVsW30j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9t7LbNpQcE

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 10:03:20 PM »

Like so many, I am just sick over what Putin is doing. I feel for the Ukrainians but also for the people of Russia. If US fighter jets were allowed, this would all be over in a matter of hours. But I guess this is not one of those instances. I don't care, I wish it was. Someone needs to stop Putin. When I think of NATO, I think about all the money the US puts into it. Heck, from that standpoint, WE ARE NATO!! Why are we dragging our feet? And Poland, they have already taken in over 2 million refugees. Who is helping THEM?? Well, I've said enough for tonite. My heart aches for Ukraine.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 07:41:13 AM »

If US fighter jets were allowed, this would all be over in a matter of hours.
As in nuclear war will put an end to all of our issues?  Or Ukraine will no longer be an issue as we will be fighting both Russia and China?  Any direct action on our part will be seen as a declaration of war by Russia so unfortunately that means we are helping Ukraine with weapons and sanctions but that's about all we are doing as the country gets pummeled.  I'm very happy that we no longer have a leader whose primary goal internationally was to defund and destroy NATO well meeting privately with Putin.  (Yes this gets political.)
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60576443

And Poland, they have already taken in over 2 million refugees. Who is helping THEM??
Jose Andres a restauranteur from my area is in Poland feeding people, https://www.today.com/food/news/jose-andres-feeding-refugees-ukraine-poland-border-rcna17937 another local owner of a small restaurant recently left to assist.  My employer has committed $250k for relief efforts with $100k of that being a employee match program.  There are various fundraising events in my area to raise funds.  I see numerous others supporting the relief efforts from churches to Smithfield foods: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=relief+efforts+in+poland&iar=news&ia=news

On the Military side we are sending more advanced weapon systems to Poland
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/these-are-the-missile-defense-systems-the-us-sent-to-poland/ar-AAUTGa9
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/03/04/global-weapons-pipeline-ukraine-being-managed-us-european-command.html

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 03:28:37 PM »

Suppose we jump in and Russia responds by using tactical battlefield nukes inside of Ukraine?  We then get to either say "Yes, we understand you are in charge of Ukraine" or use baby nukes on Russian territory or supply lines.   It's not going to make sense to nuke Russians inside Ukraine, so the only next step is surrender or waging war on the Russians.  Will the Russians then surrender or respond in kind?   It's like two mac trucks heading straight towards each other playing a game of chicken.

"They irradiated their own planet!!!???" - Line by the Ferengi Quark on Deep Space 9 when hearing about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Just got a mass email from the CEO at my employer mentioning that he and his wife are donating $15M to Ukraine relief.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:32:26 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 03:32:51 AM »

... It is so depressive to hear and read what is happening to these unfortunate Ukrainians and also, what is happening to these unfortunate Russian soldiers, who are ordered to be there “doing their soldiering”. It must be absolutely horrific and traumatizing for both sides, especially since it "deals with" brother against brother on a very serious scale and it is obvious, that they are all suffering in a most unbelievable horrific way and people in other countries can’t even “fathom-out” the motivation behind all this... Or can they?

Perhaps one day we might have a chance to learn (perhaps in years to come?), what really is going on and why? Could it be, that all these different Billionaire-Oligarchs are not really “working” independently, i.e., each for themselves to “make their own fortune”, or are they perhaps “working” with a “certain” goal in mind, i.e., to obtain world-wide political power by first obtaining serious riches from other countries for their country, before perhaps “locking-up” again, when all these aims might have been successfully accomplished?

Another question is: how do we know, whether these “Oligarch-riches” are really happening or might they just “happen”, when a future-Oligarch starts-up "his very own" new bank and then ... putting countless numbers of millions and “billions” through the computer, “miraculously” appearing in the brand-new bank as “new assets”? Who knows?

Would it not be worth to consider such possibilities and … are we not living through a very crazy time, which is extremely difficult to comprehend?  :waiting;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »