I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  The Celebration in Washington, D.C.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebration in Washington, D.C.  (Read 25510 times)
pelagia
Elite Member

« on: January 18, 2009, 04:43:33 PM »

I am sitting here watching CNN.  They are featuring a group of school children from Atlanta who are singing joyously about the President-elect and their hopes for the country and the future.  It's a celebration, not about celebrity.  There are people in the street who are coming together because they want to be a part of something that is deeply meaningful to them.  When I step back and think about the fact that a black man of a new generation is going to be sworn in as President of the United States, I guess I do think it's worth celebrating.  It's more than just the changing of the guard.  I can't say how it will look when it all becomes history, but right now I will just sit back and enjoy. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:54:59 PM by pelagia » Logged

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »

Race should not be the issue, yet everyone keeps pounding that home.  It would make more "history" if his wife was president.  She is African American where her ancestors were slaves.  That would be history!

:Kit n Stik;

We are yet to be created equal when people keep on bring up race.  He is just as much white as he is black but that is never mentioned.  Like we are ashamed of his ancestry.  That is a slap in the face to the white grandmother who raised him. 

I think he has a lot of ideas.  But as with every president you can't just walk in that office and start giving orders.  I hope we are better off 4 years from Tuesday then we are today. 

I don't think we are making any more history than when GW took office.  The celebration is just people looking for an excuse to have a huge party. 

:bow;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »

Sometimes it is just nice to have hope.     And he gives all credit to his grandmother for his upbringing.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:56:45 PM »

Sometimes it is just nice to have hope.

I agree 100 percent, paris! 
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:29:21 PM »

If Hilary Clinton had been elected I would be celebrating an historical event - the first woman president.  When a man landed on the moon I celebrated the first moon walk.  When the year 2000 hit, I celebrated the new century.  Now that the first black person has been elected, I will celebrate his inauguration and all the symbolism that embodies.  

Yes, I am an optimist and I am full of hope for the future.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:32 AM »

Tomorrow is a historic day. America will be swearing in its first black president. While this is a racial statement, it's not racist. There is no hate, there is no quality judgement in it. Everyone is indeed created equal. Barack Obama's election is an affirmation of that fact. I will pause tomorrow and see him take the oath of office. I will be happy and I will be proud to be American.

America is celebrating as it should be. We are celebrating ourselves and celebrating Barack Obama. I am celebrating inside. I am still thrilled!
 :clap;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »

I guess I'll celebrate a WHITE president being placed into office than.  You can't argue with that.

:rofl;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »

I love the inaguration process.  How lucky are we to beable to vote and then have a moment to celebrate our country.  But, I love the 4th of July, flags waving, and all that goes with being an American.   I celebrated every white president, too.  Tomorrow is another opportunity to be proud of our country. :usaflag;  :usaflag;  :usaflag;  :usaflag;   :usaflag;  :usaflag;   Can anyone sing Yankee Doodle Dandy?   :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »

It's a good thing that I just bought a new umbrella because I can see that someone insists on raining on the parade.   :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:42:53 AM by pelagia » Logged

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »

I will be watching and enjoying from my living room.     :usaflag;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:41:42 AM »

It's amazing how many people are on the mall. There are people everywhere!

kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:39 AM »

Canada is VERY excited today, as some might be able to feel that your northern neighbors tend to lean to the liberals

I am even more excited because he is the FIRST black president... and such an intelligent man at that!

Congrats to all that see this as a new day, and hopefully others with get hope back in their world.  :usaflag; :canadaflag; :usaflag;

http://www.kimhoben.com
breezysummerday

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 08:08:18 AM »

I am watching the events unfold on TV too, pelagia.
I caught myself smiling (to no one in particular)!
Fantastic history in the making!

caregiver to Ray
renal failure 6/08
listed 7/09
~thank you epoman~
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »

I skipped the gym today so I could watch it live.   :usaflag; :canadaflag; :usaflag;    Congratulations neighbours.  Best of luck President Obama, May wisdom guide your course.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:52 AM »

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA
 :clap;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »

It's a good thing that I just bought a new umbrella because I can see that someone insists on raining on the parade.   :)

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20:29 AM »

:yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap; :thumbup; :cheer: :beer1; :wine; :usaflag; :guitar: :bandance; :bestwishes; :flower; :-* :cuddle;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 10:21:50 AM »

God Bless us, everyone!

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »

I'm about as A-political as they come.  I can't stand the hype...the endless hours of commercials...the promises that are generally nothing more than some blowing smoke.  I vote....from my gut...because as an American I feel that it's my duty to do so and I feel that anyone who doesn't cast a vote has no right to complain (and I LOVE to bitch).
I too have issue with the amount of money spent on both the elections and the celebrations at the end, but it happens no matter how much I grumble.
I always feel that, with each new President, things will stay the same.  The working class will continue to work, the rich will get richer and the poor will continue to suffer.  I don't think that the "Change" promised during the campaign will happen, but I will keep an open mind.
I will also keep my salt shaker handy, because if the new President does indeed make "change" and improve our country and life for its people, I will smile big, be thankful and eat crow, happily!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »

well said and i concour Wenchie.
But ill pass my crow your way :-)

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »

As long as there's salt.....and maybe some hot sauce!
 :rofl;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 10:45:04 AM »

I'm an optimist, I guess, because I believe that each of us can make a difference.  I also believe in the power of leadership to unite people and help set a course so that our individual efforts will be coordinated for the greater good.  I look forward to the leadership of this very capable new President.  I wish him well.

As far as the inauguration itself, I will never forget the image of the President-elect moving down the steps of the Capital, the clarinet solo moving into "Simple Gifts," the speech calling us to work together towards a higher ideal, the Lincoln bible, the image President Obama painted of George Washington's strength at a very low point in our Nation's history, the closing prayer, or the tears of those on the mall.  

This is a time of incredible challenges.  I am thankful that President Obama is willing to face them head on.

:usaflag;

kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 12:55:48 PM »

OK I got through the inauguration....

Onto the ball!  Now is this ball going to be on TV??  I sure do hope so  :bandance; I feel like dancin!

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »

I hope the ball is on tv..I'm looking forward to it too...too bad that Sen Kennedy got ill during the luncheon but very nice of Pres. Obama to go over to him before the ambulance took him away.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »

Oh get out of here! I didn't know that, I should have had the dang TV on CNN, I had it on CBC instead, they always hunt down the Canadians in the crowd....

PS I think I am addicted to Obama :shy;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »