I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Staph Infections
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Staph Infections  (Read 8011 times)
Sluff
Member for Life

« on: August 28, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »

Just wondering if anyone can associate a staph infection to cyclosporine use. I'm thinking maybe the immune system is weakened and infections are more likely to appear.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »

It is a good theory, but I don't know of cyclo staff related combinations.  I was on Cyclo for a long time and never got staff.

Anybody else??

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »

Thanks Rerun....
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 07:56:08 PM »

This is from the NEJM.  This may not be a solution for you but it may help someone else.

Use of a Staphylococcus aureus Conjugate Vaccine in Patients Receiving Hemodialysis

"...Staphylococcus aureus is a major cause of nosocomial and community-acquired infections, including bacteremia, metastatic abscesses, septic arthritis, endocarditis, osteomyelitis, and wound infections.1,2,3 A study of hospitalized patients in 1995 found that the death rate, the length of stay, and the medical costs were twice as high for S. aureus–associated hospitalizations as for other hospitalizations.4 Among patients receiving hemodialysis, S. aureus bacteremia is a prominent cause of complications and death, with an annual incidence of 3 to 4 percent.5 An increasing percentage of isolates are resistant to methicillin6 and show relative resistance to vancomycin.7 Hence, immunoprophylaxis against S. aureus is a worthwhile objective. ..."

"...Background In patients with decreased resistance to infection, Staphylococcus aureus is a major cause of bacteremia and its complications. The capsular polysaccharides are essential for the pathogenesis of and immunity to S. aureus infection and are targets for vaccines.
Methods In a double-blind trial involving patients with end-stage renal disease who were receiving hemodialysis, we evaluated the safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy of a vaccine with S. aureus type 5 and 8 capsular polysaccharides conjugated to nontoxic recombinant Pseudomonas aeruginosa exotoxin A. Between April 1998 and August 1999, 1804 adult patients at 73 hemodialysis centers were randomly assigned to receive a single intramuscular injection of either vaccine or saline. IgG antibodies to S. aureus type 5 and 8 capsular polysaccharides were measured for up to two years, and episodes of S. aureus bacteremia were recorded. Efficacy was estimated by comparing the incidence of S. aureus bacteremia in the patients who received the vaccine with the incidence in the control patients.

Results Reactions to the vaccine were generally mild to moderate, and most resolved within two days. The capsular polysaccharides elicited an antibody response of at least 80 µg per milliliter (the estimated minimal level conferring protection) in 80 percent of patients for type 5 and in 75 percent of patients for type 8. The efficacy during weeks 3 to 54 was only 26 percent (P=0.23). However, between weeks 3 and 40 after vaccination, S. aureus bacteremia developed in 11 of 892 patients in the vaccine group who could be evaluated for bacteremia, as compared with 26 of 906 patients in the control group (estimate of efficacy, 57 percent; 95 percent confidence interval, 10 to 81 percent; nominal P=0.02).

Conclusions In patients receiving hemodialysis, a conjugate vaccine can confer partial immunity against S. aureus bacteremia for approximately 40 weeks, after which protection wanes as antibody levels decrease. ..."

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/346/7/491?andorexacttitleabs=and&SEARCHID=1&search_tab=articles&search_tab=articles&sortspec=Score%2Bdesc%2BPUBDATE_SORTDATE%2Bdesc&excludeflag=TWEEK_element&hits=20&where=fulltext&FIRSTINDEX=20&andorexactfulltext=and&resourcetype=HWCIT&fulltext=hemodialysis&searchterm=hemodialysis&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=20&resourcetype=HWCIT

Sorry about the long address but that's what you get when you search the NEJM.  :( Registration is required but free.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 05:59:10 AM »

Thanks you for your response Black. I did a little research but did not find that much information. The information I found was repetitive. I'm not on dialysis, however I am on medications that affect my immune system. Again Thanks
John S.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 01:15:55 AM »

I participated in that study. It was ended early because the vaccine did not work. But, I made about $450 for being in it. :2thumbsup;

john

edit: i should mention I never found out whether or not i got the vaccine or the placebo. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:17:33 AM by John S. » Logged
Panda_9

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 05:33:55 AM »

Cyclosporine does lower your immune system, so you are more prone to getting infections. I got golden staph in my transplant wound, they had to open it up a bit and pack it. It felt so ewwww. Cyclosporine also caused me to develop a huge mass of breast lumps, and after having them removed 2-3 times, I still have a couple popping up. At the time there were only a couple of known cases of cyclosporine causing these lumps. Most of us are on a cocktail of drugs, they are bound to cause a few things.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 03:50:02 PM »

Looks like my leg is getting better and I get to keep it. :thumbup; 
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 05:13:37 PM »

Wow, that is wonderful news!!!!!!
I am glad for you.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 10:27:55 PM »

Wow, that is wonderful news!!!!!!
I am glad for you.

:thx;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 10:50:17 PM »

Where have i been?  Sluff, i didnt even know there was anything wrong with your leg?  But i am so glad to hear things are getting better for you,  hang in there amigo...

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 06:54:32 PM »

Thanks Goofynina. :beer1;

I had a staph infection in my lower left leg and because I didn't go to the Doctor right away there was a chance that I could have lost my leg. Anyway it's better now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:57:05 PM by sluff » Logged
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 09:45:07 PM »

Dont be thanking me honey,, thank God.  I am glad its better now :)  :thumbup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 07:10:40 AM »

:o  Wow!  I leave for a couple of weeks and look what happens!  I had no idea you were having such a serious problem with your leg -- or did I know and forgot???? :o ("Brain fog" from years of undertreated thyroid has had me forgetting so much ??? -- now that I'm improving I'm beginning to realize I really was in a fog :o -- so my apologies if you told me an I have forgotten.)

BUT, anyway I am so glad it appears now to be really good news :clap; :thumbup; :cuddle; :beer1;  Please post as you continue to improve.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »

Sometimes I get lost in which thread I post things. Leg is doing good now but I can't believe how quick things can change for the worst. I wish the improvements came as quick. Thanks to all concerned. :thx;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »