I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  femoral catheters
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: femoral catheters  (Read 3951 times)
imacrash

« on: August 30, 2006, 08:48:39 PM »

I had to recently have a femoral catheter placed in my groin about 2 weeks ago.  Its my only access until I get the PD catheter placed.  I did have an appt. with the surgeon on Friday, but he cancelled.  Now I won't see him till the end on September.  Is this a safe thing?  What happens if the femoral gets infected?  I can't have any more chest catheters and both fistulas are unusable?  I'm a bit scared.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 08:44:27 PM »

Well, if it is your only option, then you need to be as careful as you can.  If it is your only option, then don't ask "what if," because the answer isn't good.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 09:48:05 PM »

You will have to be very careful because of the placement of the catheter.   I was told bed rest because of the fear of having it come out when I first was on dialysis.  The nurse told me to be careful when I was up running around in a  wheelchair with my kids on the hospital floor.  Ask questions so you know what to do.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
imacrash

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 04:28:34 PM »

I read another post, in another section saying something about femoral caths and being close to death?  Yikes, is this true?  Yes, it is my last access until I get the surgery for PD, but I don't feel close to death?  Also, someone said it should be used on John Mark Karr before he's hung?  The surgery to put in the femoral cath was easier, a lot easier than the chest or neck cath and a lot less painfull.  The biggest drawback has been, of course, no showers, and not being able to do too much exercise.  I could think of hundreds of ways to punish JM Karr, the femoral cath would be too easy on him!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »

I read another post, in another section saying something about femoral caths and being close to death?  Yikes, is this true?  Yes, it is my last access until I get the surgery for PD, but I don't feel close to death?  Also, someone said it should be used on John Mark Karr before he's hung?  The surgery to put in the femoral cath was easier, a lot easier than the chest or neck cath and a lot less painfull.  The biggest drawback has been, of course, no showers, and not being able to do too much exercise.  I could think of hundreds of ways to punish JM Karr, the femoral cath would be too easy on him!

We were not talking about femoral catheters, that's a whole different thing.

We were talking about femoral needle sticks as a way to punish JM Karr.    >:D

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »