I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Got my transplant surgery date today
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got my transplant surgery date today  (Read 73179 times)
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »

Mo - awesome news!  Keep up the good work and keeping yourself healthy!!  Time will be here before you know it!  Mangos are loaded with potassium, as are watermelons, bannanas, avaracados, and more I am sure.  I get ordered to eat more too sometimes, however MOST dialysis pts cannot eat these items.  Ask your dietician first. But boy, they are yummy!!!

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »

I'm eating the mango because my potassium is low and I'm very strict about sticking to the renal diet.  My doctor ordered me to eat more potassium rich foods and relax my grip a little.  I won't be eating masses of them or anything.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »

great news Monrein.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »

i guess i shouldn't be allowed to leave town, i miss too much, just saw this!   :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; i'm so excited for you, best of luck.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Jill D.

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »

So excited for you!!!!  :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2009, 10:30:43 PM »

I just seen this thread Monrein!!!!   WWHHHOOOO!!!!    :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;  I am soooo excited for you!!!

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Mizar

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »

How Exciting! Will say a Prayer for You!
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »

:flower;  This is super fantastic news    :flower;

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.... I have been so busy I just read this! 

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »

I haven't been out here much lately so I just saw this. I'm thrilled for you!  :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »

Ah, Monrein, fantastic news.

In the lead up to my transplant I said a few times that I was really nervous, but in hindsight I was actually surprisingly calm. Especially on the day of surgery. It was almost as though I was heading on a picnic!

You will probably surprise yourself at how calm you can be, but if you do get nervous - that's okay! Jus try to relax as best you can.

Ah, just think, bye bye dialysis!!  :bandance;
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 07:41:01 AM »

It's less than a month now!  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »

Is time flying yet????

11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »

And how!!!  Appointment with surgeon tomorrow, regular dentist visit too, gym to keep my heart in shape then D.  Busy busy busy.  I'm going to stop going to the gym two weeks ahead of the transplant just to avoid potential cold germs.  I'll jog on the spot at home for thirty minutes instead, just to keep things going.  Boring as all get out but effective.  I'm still doing abdominal crunches too even though I know my stomach muscles will take a big set back from surgery.  I'm really looking forward to some increased energy if all goes well and then I can start back at the gym in earnest when I'm off of house arrest. 

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »

That sounds great.  I had to decline a friends kids birthday party this weekend - don't want to be around a bunch of little kids right now!  Take care - it sounds like you are.

11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »

I also stayed home in the final fortnight prior to surgery. I cancelled my weekly social outings, and basically did not go anywhere. It's only two weeks, after all! Best to keep yourself as healthy as possible for surgery. 
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »

:flower; Take some deep, deep breaths Gail.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »

For your amusement, here's a recent string of email exchanges between Kathy and me, regarding our rapidly approaching kidney hand-off.  She is the most fanatical sports person I've ever met in my whole life and I am the least interested in watching sports of any kind.  If I wake up liking sports, we'll know for sure that interests and traits are passed along with transplants.  KD (as many call her) is also a really fantastic Mom and I'm so pleased that my baby brother found her, kidney donation or no kidney donation.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM, <KD wrote:

Joan left me a faint hearted message (her voice is so ultrasoft) saying my bloodwork appointment was on the 17th and another appointment was on the 20th.  That was great news.  I got busy at work and could not call her back in time, but she said she sent the appointments to you.  I will call her tomorrow.  I was happy she made them that week and not earlier.  I can finish basketball season and spend valentines day here and work that last saturday..that gives the girls one extra saturday in feb. with me there.  I will get my plane ticket soon...I got this computer fixed today and will have it up there...stealing your internet all the way!!!  Alex ordered me a new phone today and it is rather modern.  I can email and check the internet with it...not sure I need it, but our plan is a family one and the business pays for it, so I will allow the extravagance this one time!!!  Alex suggested I could watch baseball on it...but that would be like doing drugs...so I will pretend he did not tell me that!!!!  I bought some pajamas and hope to finish any clothing purchases this weekend.  I might get a down jacket on sale....hope your prep is going well...it is a tad weird to think I am the steward of the kidney that you await!!  i am currently drinking a tasty craft brewed beer, but will not overdo it....got to keep the filters in order!!!   Love, KD

Hi KD
Yes, I was given an outline of our final appointments, starting with the 17th.  I also discovered that I'll be admitted on Sunday at noon and you will come in at 6:oo am the morning of surgery.  I've been told that my heart is in great shape, showing zero signs of ever having had high blood pressure or of having been on dialysis.  I was super pleased as you can imagine.  I also laughed my head off at your comment about being the steward of my kidney.  So now I guess you know how it feels (sort of) to be a surrogate mother.  The absence of hormone swings probably helps however.  I find myself becoming more and more anxious which manifests itself with my wanting to put (read impose) order on everything in my path.  Oh joy.
Joan's voice BTW is a royal pain.  I can barely hear her even live, let alone in a message.
TTYL

KD to me

11:35 AM (6 hours ago)

Absolutely LOVE your disclosure about control...that helps me a great deal.  I am attempting to be very "unattached" to the idea of controlling any of this.  I have anxiety also, but lately it has turned to a feeling of wanting to go and do it and see what the hell happens.  Kind of tired of playing it out in my head.  I have always said, "Do it or don't do it...stop talking about it."  I know it is bigger than you and me as individuals, so I am trying to just roll with it.  Syd is ok, but really needs to see you prior....so Saturday will be a love fest between the two of you!  Joan really needs her blood pressure checked!!!!     PS.  On a psychological level I think shifting thoughts to being a steward is good prep for waking up with one kidney.
Don't you???  I've just been cradling it all these 24 years, waiting for you to need it....Super Bowl Sunday is this weekend, and that is the day I first knew about you and your cadaver kidney.  Pretty wild stuff.  Jim and I celebrate that day over our actual wedding day!!!  Take care...wash hands!  Love, KD

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »

:bow; Have you told her (Kathy, great name by the way  :rofl; ) that we think she is an angel, a hero, a saint. Well, I don't know about the saint part but we think she is pretty special.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

Actually, I emailed her the link to this page so she's read many of the comments.  She remarked that she feels like all of a sudden she has some "serious" friends out there in the world.  She's ben very private about the whole donating thing but is starting to let people know now.  She doesn't like being called or thought of as a hero, saint would really crack her up, although of course she really is all of those things and more.

And yes, Kathies are special people, Miss Kathy.   :cuddle;

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »

I am reminded of a statement on stewardship that I found very moving and helpful as I went through the donation process.

A Simple Matter of Stewardship

By Jim Falsey

In April 2004, I became a non-directed kidney donor. Dr. Hawasli performed the laparoscopic surgery at St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit, Michigan. I was inspired to do so by my younger brother, Tom, who anonymously donated one of his kidneys to a young man who was dying of kidney failure. I learned that the average person can live normally with only one kidney and still have plenty of kidney capacity to spare.

I was back to work celebrating weekend Masses three days after my surgery. For me it was simply a matter of stewardship. Stewardship begins with the basic principle that we do not 'own' anything. God 'owns' all that is. "The heavens, even the highest heavens, belong to the Lord, your God, as well as the earth and everything on it." (Deuteronomy 10:14)

We are the stewards of God's creation. Everything that we claim to possess is merely entrusted to us by God to be used in accord with God's will for our good and the good of all God's creatures. Not even our bodies belong exclusively to ourselves. Every mother who has given birth or nursed a child knows that.

Learning of my brother's experience got me thinking. I have been blessed with exceptionally good health. If I could use part my body to improve the quality of life for someone who is suffering, why not? That is what led me to donate a kidney. Some have called that “heroic” or a “great act”. No, not really. It is simply a matter of stewardship. I had two functioning kidneys, someone else had none. God had entrusted those kidneys to me. I believe I took good care of them; and they took good care of me. That left kidney had served me well for fifty-nine years. Now it is someone else's responsibility. It is simply a matter of stewardship.

Does that mean that everyone should consider donating a kidney, a lung, part of their liver, or some other body part? No, absolutely not! It does mean that we should carefully consider how we use, and care for, our bodies. They are not our own. They are not entrusted to us for ourselves alone. They are entrusted to us to be cared for, and used in accord with God's will. For 99.9% of us, that means keeping our bodies intact. It means using them to make a decent living for ourselves, our families, and for the least of our brothers and sisters. It means using the time, the talents, and the treasure that God has entrusted to us to build up the Kingdom of God. If, however, you find yourself thinking: "I, too, have been exceptionally blessed. I could do that", then give it some thought. Look into it; pray over it; and follow your heart.

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »

:thx;  extrememoosetrax, I forwarded the link again to Kath.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »

Oh, another thing:  I HIGHLY recommend setting up a CaringBridge web site. It's super easy -- technical know-how NOT required.  I guarantee you that it will make life easier for your caregivers, and I/we also found it to be a wonderful source of moral and emotional support from friends and family.  My CB site has been dormant for a while now, but it's still there if you want to take a look; the link is in my signature line below.  Be sure to take a look at the journal and guest book and you will see what I mean about how helpful it can be.

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »

Only another few weeks Gail!!  bet your getting excited, scared and every other feeling you can have.  Hope everything goes well for you and your sis in law!!!  :cuddle;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2009, 06:31:22 PM »

Oh, another thing:  I HIGHLY recommend setting up a CaringBridge web site. It's super easy -- technical know-how NOT required.  I guarantee you that it will make life easier for your caregivers, and I/we also found it to be a wonderful source of moral and emotional support from friends and family.  My CB site has been dormant for a while now, but it's still there if you want to take a look; the link is in my signature line below.  Be sure to take a look at the journal and guest book and you will see what I mean about how helpful it can be.

:2thumbsup; Good suggestion! We have one too.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »

OK, added to the to do list.  Thanks everyone.   

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »