I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Got my transplant surgery date today
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got my transplant surgery date today  (Read 73190 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »

it's so good to hear that everything is right on course.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2009, 01:37:37 PM »

:thx; Kathy thanks for keeping us up to date, but more importantly thank you for giving the gift of life to our much loved friend Gail.   :yahoo; You rock!  :cuddle;
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »

I couldn't be any happier for the both of you!   Congratulations again Gail!  I can't wait until you're back on-line.  It's not the same around here without you!   :beer1;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »

:grouphug; Hugs for you Kathy for being a wonderful donor!  :2thumbsup; I am so glad you are doing well Gail.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

An update from Kathy on CB - Saturday afternoon:
Due to gross insults concerning his spelling ability and lack of vocational direction, Lee has instructed me to update the Bridge once I finish my paper route each day. I must point out I am NOT sitting on Lee's lap as I take this dictation, though he encouraged me to do so!!!

Gail was awesome today! No IV, No catheter, NO pain pump...just a central venus line in her neck that she lovingly calls "her pony tail"!!!.She has great skin color, energy, and peed 4 times while we visited today! Her excellent creatinine has earned her much respect on the floor. Her level with a new kidney is better than my level pre-surgery with two!!! That girl, I tell you, ever the go getter!!! She has no interest in curling yet, and this remains a concern. Her electrolytes are out of whack and they give her oral magnesium and such. The tranplant nephrologist was not overly concerned. They believe the kidney is just working out, clearing away debris long fogging her system. It should level out as time goes on. She finished one chemical today, thymoglobulin. It is an immunosuppressant. Call it the first course..the appetizer was a constant course of prednisone. Next up is cellsept (sp?) and tacrolimus for life. She had to watch a movie on "medicating oneself post transplant". What a joke...Gail could write the book!!! The nurse let her go half way thru. Her swelling is down, the lasix is on hold. She is taking something to tone up her bladder. The doc thought she would be out by Tuesday!!!!

Our friend Petrina and her sister visited in the hospital today and we had a veritable party going on in there...six of us!! Gail was right into it...we were loud, breaking only to listen to her pee thru the door!!!

Syd has had a fantastic week, taking a tough life situation and making lemonade all day long. She has been a constant companion to Aunty Gaila and a HUGE mental assistant for TEAM GAIL! She hates to leave us. Jim is on his way home also; Gail and I have really enjoyed having his medical knowledge and easy going attitude. He makes a tremendous cup of coffee also and has stocked the fridge with fabulous Canadian beer, when my remaining kidney gets ready for it!!! We are about to watch some late nite curling soon!!! Lee, of course, is taking care of everything else, maintaing his winning personality all the way!

Take care all. Another great day for Gail!!!KD

I started laughing - then crying a little - when I read about them being quiet to hear Gail peeing thru the door - oh man - what a joyful thing!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2009, 02:21:50 AM »

A curling uniform might be what Gail needs to start that faze of her new life.  Hugs all.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2009, 02:22:48 AM »

I have been having connection problems.  What a lovely thread to come back to!!  I am so excited and happy for Gail.  Thank you so much, Kathy!  I can see you are really a great person as well.  I have really enjoyed the updates!!!
You guys have lifted peeing to a place of honour!!
Looking forward to two things - seeing picts, and hearing from Gail!!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:36:42 AM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »

I apologize for having been a bit busy this past week and I've missed all of you.  I have a long long list of threads to catch up on and I look forward to doing so as well as reading the CaringBridge updates.  I worry about sad news from any IHD members but am hoping for some transplant news also...always hoping for that.
Things have gone really well here for me and just getting up to pee all the time is a workout.  I'm just two kilos over what I came in at, with a small moon face but I'll take it.  The neph just told me that I could probably go home as early as tomorrow...I sure won't miss the food.
Sitting at this computer chair isn't the most comfortable but I'll check in again as soon as I can.
Thanks to you all for your support.  Hugs and love
Gail
PS.  We do have photos of bags of pee...man we're an odd bunch.
PPS.  I'm not a big milk drinker but I did drink a full glass for Rerun, liked it too.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2009, 12:26:28 PM »

Oh Gail. It is so good to see you.  :flower;  :bandance;  :yahoo;  :thumbup;  :clap;   :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »

Oh yes it certainly is good to have you back  :cuddle;  :cuddle;  :yahoo;
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »

So nice to hear from you Gail.  I'm so pleased you are doing so well.  The world looks after those who look after everyone else and you and Kathy rock my world.  You are absolutely amazing.  Both of you.  You are kicking butt because of your amazing attitude and you have a fabulous support network around you.  I am really, really happy for you.  Lots of love to you and Kathy. xxx
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »

Thanks Gail!     :o

Keep up the good work!!  Next I want pizza!                  :beer1;

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »

Gail, I'm so happy to hear that everything is going well for you. Reading all the updates from CB from your family was wonderful, then the final (first?) message from you sounds like you're doing great! Thanks for brightening my rainy day. :)

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

Great to hear from you Gail!!  So glad that both you and Kathy are doing well.  Bet it will feel great to get home!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »

so exciting and WE WANT TO SEE THE PEE!!!  :rofl; yes we're odd but in a loving way!

how awesome.. this is such good news!!!  :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »

:yahoo;  what else can I say?  :yahoo;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
circleNthedrain

« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »

Great to have you back monrein!  I am thrilled that things are going so well.  Now....any sound bites of the golden water flowing?

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2009, 08:47:17 PM »

I am so happy to see that you posted Gail!
When do you go home?
 :waving;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »

Here's the latest post by Kathy:

Gail is having another good day! Her creatinine is holding at 71, her blood pressure is perfect, and her heartbeat has normalized. This is incredible stuff. Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body. She does have some pain under the incision. It has changed and seems worse, but the surgeons assure her it is typical and not a major medical issue. She responds with the 1-2 punch of a sleeping pill and 2 oxycontins!!! She reports the opiate does nothing for pain, she just does't care about it while on the drug! This Am Gail asked me how I was enjoying the tournament of hearts(women's curling)......air escaped my diaphragm as surely this was a sign....when I collected myself and rambled on about the great match on last nite and did she watch and was she interested, she replied, "Kath, I am not remotely interested in curling or any other sport, I am merely being polite." I realized my DNA was circulating only in her kidney and no part had escaped and made it to her brain. Alas, sadly this also indicates Gail will not be drinking beer any time soon!!!

Monday should bring more activity in the hospital, and we hope, more movement regarding Gail's case.. The weekends there feel like Mississippi Mud....nothing bloody happens. Once all her docs are back and conferring, we think they will spring her. No sense having an immunosuppressed person LIVING in a hospital!!!! We are hoping for Tuesday, but it could be Wednesday. Lee and I have BIG Monday night plans: Dinner out and wash the bedsheets for Gail!!! A general sprucing up of the house we loving call "CAMP"! I can have my staples out the day we pick her up...2 for 1.

Jim and Syd's flight got cancelled due to a snowstorm in the southern US. On March 1, that is unusual. They are making lemonade again, visiting the ROM's new Egypt display, eating out, feeding black squirrels, and visiting their favorite transplant patient!!! Lee is on a date with the lovely Nita, seeing Cecilia Bartoli, a metza soprano. His original date was unavailable! All is good. I have been left to watch basketball, bowling, old movies, and curling....such a sad event...I hope I make it!

Gail may be able to update you this evening. She will have all the latest transplant news. I can tell you the transplant floor is a sobering place. I felt incredibly lucky yesterday to have the good health I enjoy. If you have not signed your organ donor card...please DO IT! The deceased donor wall of honor on the transplant floor is a stark reminder of how vital organ donation is. All of the people pictured there passed away, donating multiple organs so that others could have a chance at life. On Gail's floor patients have recently received new hearts, lungs, livers, kidneys, and many combinations. It was a moving experience walking down those halls. Every room contained somebody's Gail!!

Must go wrap my papers and get them delivered before Lee gets home from his date! Take Care. KD

jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »

Oh my goodness - :cheer: :cheer: :yahoo; :yahoo; :bandance; :bestwishes;
I haven't been at IHD for 8 days and now am catching up - bugger
I have tears of joy in my eyes for not only you mate but that ripper of a sis in law and the rest of the family
How bloody wonderful
How bloody fan bloody tastic
Great news
Happy peeing
 :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower; :flower;
 :beer1; :beer1; :beer1; :beer1;
I'll now have a VB stubbie or 2 for ya
Shit hot news mate
What a great bloody world it is
Thank God for donors

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2009, 04:04:57 AM »

:cheer: :cheer:  I am so happy everything went so well Gail. I hope you are home soon.    :cuddle;

Kathy you are an angel!    :flower;

P.s Jess you crack me up .... could you get anymore Aussie! I can say that because I am a southerner!! lol

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2009, 06:12:10 AM »

It is so great to hear all the good news!    :yahoo;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; I love reading all of the happy news! Can't wait until you are back Gail!!   :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »

Kathy this morning:

Gail phoned early today. All is in place for her to depart the Toronto General tomorrow! The remaining issues are incisional pain and tweaking medications. Gail needs to be on meds to sterilize her urine, of which she is producing litres!!! This keeps bacteria away from the new plumbing and kidney. The previous med makes Gail so dry in the nostrils and mouth she feels like the Gobe desert. They want to test this sulpha drug in house in case she react to it.. Gail is fine with the extra day because she wants resolutiion, imgaine that! They still are not worried about her incision, although it is red. They will do a dopplar study of the area and again tweak pain meds to allow her bowels to wake up...the pain is basically many things weaved together. Her central line will come out also. All of her blood levels are good. She is in good spirits and ready for the next step. She asked me how I enjoyed the curling final last nite, and then proceeded to review the match in a detailed and animated fashion...I gave the phone to Lee, lest I drop it in surprise....he later told me Gail did not watch the match, heavens no, she was just mimicking the SportCentre announcer word for word to get my goat! That girl. She has no idea the mens' curling beings this Saturday and she is in for a bombardment on all household TV'S...if you lead them to water and they refuse to drink...just shove it down their throats I say!

Jim, Syd, Lee and I were up at 3:30 this AM, getting them ready for the Atlanta Shuffle. Lee remarked that we were a motley family, so jovial at this early hour. We collectively remarked that this was our one week anniversary, and that sitting here checking flight schedules was FAR less anxious than preparing two loved ones for back to back surgery!!! He agreed, but still could not believe our sunny dispositions! We instructed him to bring the car around and warm it up please!!!!! Jim and Syd are currently on stand by in Atlanta for the next two flights, but have seats on a third at 2:45. They are making lemonade again! Have to love those two for their part in this past week. TEAM GAIL is alright!

Lee is at the gym now. We will probably visit Gail today and make preparations for her homecoming. Doesn't that sound great? Take Care. KD
 :yahoo;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2009, 06:16:13 PM »

Today on CB:
Well hello everyone and thank you all for the messages, the prayers, the support and the caring. They have meant so much to us and every time KD and Lee would come to the hospital and tell me of the latest ones my room would feel crowded in the most wonderful of ways.
I got home today at around three with the help of an oxycontin at one and a buckwheat pillow padding the new USDA, Grade A, Prime, imported, grain-fed, free range, kidney.
I still feel as if a small squirrel or large rodent is sitting in my lower abdomen and every so often it stirs and starts trying to gnaw its way out of there. I stroke it gently back to sleep and Tylenol settles it down quite effectively and on we go.
The bag of drugs is a sight to behold and I feel as though I could easily qualify for admission to a degree in Pharmacy.
It feels great to be home and now the challenge is to build up my phosphorus and potassium levels which is just plain strange considering how hard I've worked for the past ten months to keep them both in check. Bring on the beans, the dairy, the almonds, the avocados, the bananas and all the rest.
I'll check in with more update tomorrow.

I see you posted a little today monrein - good to have you home!  :yahoo;

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »