I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:26:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Albumin Levels
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albumin Levels  (Read 38322 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2007, 08:15:10 AM »

Mine's 39 (3.9).. I try to eat a lot of chicken for the protein

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chicken Little

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »

I just looked at my labs from today.  My Albumin has gone from 3.1 to 4.0 in one month!!!   Thank you Muscle Milk!!   And thank you Zach for posting about it.   :2thumbsup;
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 05:05:39 PM »

gees after reading this thread i noticed my albumin is the highest here!!  its 4.8!  ;D

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »

gees after reading this thread i noticed my albumin is the highest here!!  its 4.8!  ;D

thats really wonderful-may it stay high for a long time to come!!!  :bandance;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2007, 12:34:19 AM »

Mine is 4.3

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2007, 07:41:33 AM »

Jeeeeesh.  That is higher than alot of people who have no kidney problems.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »

While maintaining the albumin level above a certain minimum is important as a measure of adequate nutrition, pushing it higher and higher is not a good idea, since the creatinine level will rise along with it.  Albumin is protein; creatinine is a by-product of protein metabolism; and in renal patients, the creatinine level is abnormally high because this toxin is not being cleared by the kidneys, and high creatine levels have been linked to many of the complications dialysis patients experience.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2007, 02:25:03 PM »

gees after reading this thread i noticed my albumin is the highest here!! its 4.8! ;D

Jeeeeesh. That is higher than alot of people who have no kidney problems.

Yes i eat at least a cow a day  ;) ;D

Well  i do  eat a lot of protein for every meal. Fish, chicken, and meat. And i think having a high Album is why i have done so well.

While maintaining the albumin level above a certain minimum is important as a measure of adequate nutrition, pushing it higher and higher is not a good idea, since the creatinine level will rise along with it. Albumin is protein; creatinine is a by-product of protein metabolism; and in renal patients, the creatinine level is abnormally high because this toxin is not being cleared by the kidneys, and high creatine levels have been linked to many of the complications dialysis patients experience.

yes i agree with what you said, but every dialysis patient is different i guess and my doctor thinks that my albumin is perfect at that level, and my creatnine being high isn't a problem because i dialyse more than the average person. And without that extra protein i would not be cabable of training 6 days a week.  :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:27:25 PM by Amanda From OZ » Logged
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2007, 09:16:36 PM »

Bleah, I'm still working on getting mine up.  I tried the protein powder -"just sprinkle it on your food."- yuck!  I tried the protein bars that the nutritionist claimed were "just like a candy bar!"  Ewwww - what candy is she eating that tastes like that?  I'm supposed to be eating 80 grams of meat/protein a day.  I'm lucky if I get half that.  :P

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »

I crave protein sometimes and will eat it morning, noon and night. I guess it has been good for me. My albumin levels are up.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2007, 01:34:52 AM »

Had a blood test Tuesday and mine was 4.6, and the test before that was 5.0

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »

:banghead;  This is me, banging my head against the fridge.

My last albumin was 3.5.  I had a long discussion with my dietitian about ways to increase it.  She was worried that it was on a downward trend, and that it was going to start dropping even further.  So I spent the last month trying the protein powders and protein bars, upping my intake of meat, adding extra egg whites to anything I've baked...blah, blah, blah.  Tuesday was the monthly blood draw, and what exactly have my efforts done for me?  My phosphorous is now back up over the correct range.  I've stopped losing weight because the calorie intake went up with the increased protein, and my calcium is too high thanks to an excess of phoslo.  (I take 2 with a snack, 3 with a low-phos meal, and 4 with a high phos meal.  Naturally, I've been taking 4 with all the extra meat.)  And after all that - my albumin level is. . . .(drum roll, please. . . .) 3.6.

Sooooo worth the effort.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2007, 05:56:55 PM »

But Jbeany, just think what it could've been if you hadn't consumed that extra protein, might've been too low, right? ;) ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2007, 07:21:15 PM »

Zach posted earlier that it takes a long time to raise the level- my husbands is going up very slowly too, but it IS rising.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »

:bump;
The more you know ....

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
koutsounel

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »

If you are fluid overloaded when you have a blood test, the albumin level will come up as lower than it really is, as the blood is "diluted".

Albumin is extremely important, as it controls the water in our blood. Without enough albumin (as in a case of nephrotic syndrome), the water does not go to the blood, so you are dry, and have low blood pressure, but instead goes to the tissues, and causes odema. My baby was born with congenital nephrotic syndrome, he was diagnosed at 2 months old, and at that point his albumin was 8 (we are in the UK, so it is measured differently). He was in critical condition, but fortunately the fluid hadn't gone to the lungs.

You can increase the albumin by increasing the protein intake (if indeed it is low) but our doctors are always cautious, as protein brings the urea up too.

And no resident will say: “I am sick.”
Isaiah 33:24
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »

93gms of protein isnt alot if you have a big steak or similar  ;D
Of course not.

But the more protein you eat, the more phosphorus you're consuming, which isn't great either.  And phosphorus binders don't bind all that phosphorus, just part of it.

So I find myself walking a tightrope between avoiding too much phosphorus and avoiding too little albumin.

I've computed the ratio of phosphorus to protein in various protein-containing foods I like to eat.  Chicken seems to offer the least phosphorus per ounce of protein, eggs the most phosphorus per ounce of protein.   So I try to get most protein from chicken.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »

I think for eggs it varies considerably between the white and the yolk. If I remember correctly my dietician told me that egg yolks had little phosphorous; it was all in the white. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »

I've computed the ratio of phosphorus to protein in various protein-containing foods I like to eat.  Chicken seems to offer the least phosphorus per ounce of protein, eggs the most phosphorus per ounce of protein.   So I try to get most protein from chicken.

Could you share that chart with us, RightSide?
Thanks.

I think for eggs it varies considerably between the white and the yolk. If I remember correctly my dietician told me that egg yolks had little phosphorous; it was all in the white. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Actually, quite the opposite.  Egg whites contain little phosphorus, but almost all the potassium.

8)

Large Egg, white, raw, fresh:
Protein      3.6 grams
Phosphorus   5 mg
Potassium      54 mg

Large Egg, yolk, raw, fresh
Protein        2.7 grams
Phosphorus    66 mg
Potassium       19 mg

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:25:49 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »

hi,
 I feel as though my protein levels have been good because I am lucky! I guess my trick is, even if you eat veggies, certain veggies, I dip them in egg and then breadcrumb and either fry them or  bake them in the oven like that. So, I am getting my protein from the egg and the meat. You can do this same thing with boneless skinless chicken or whatever meat you got. and try to cheat less.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »

My albumin level seems to hover around 4.0-4.1, but there is an occasional month when it has dropped to 3.9.

Just today, my dietician gave me some new evidence that too much protein can also be bad for you!  (Oh, man!)

I'll post more on this when I get a chance.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »

Perhaps maybe a high protein is bad because it is too high because the dialysis is not taking it off because you are not getting enough dialysis? That would make sense to me because protein goes though the dialysis. I have always have heard that Albumin is the 'number one indicator of death for dialysis patients.'

Lisa
My albumin level seems to hover around 4.0-4.1, but there is an occasional month when it has dropped to 3.9.

Just today, my dietician gave me some new evidence that too much protein can also be bad for you!  (Oh, man!)

I'll post more on this when I get a chance.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »