I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:30:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Albumin Levels
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albumin Levels  (Read 38344 times)
luckaholic

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 04:28:16 AM »

4.0 is fine, theres no need to worry or go out and buy a whole store of protein powder. You only need to worry if it goes under 3.5.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 05:32:50 AM »

4.0 is the goal set by the National Kidney Foundation (U.S.).

"Although no single ideal measure of nutritional status exists, the serum albumin concentration is considered to be a useful indicator of protein-energy nutritional status in maintenance dialysis patients."

The range is 3.8 - 5.1 G/DL

If a person's albumin level is at 3.7 or lower, then some intervention is appropriate, such as adding more protein to the diet.

People on hemodialysis need to take in about 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.  As an example, I weigh 77.5 kgs, so my protein intake needs to be about 93 grams of protein a day.  That's a lot, so along with the three meals a day, I include a two snacks a day:  one a protein bar and the other a protein shake.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:34:21 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
luckaholic

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 03:03:43 AM »

93gms of protein isnt alot if you have a big steak or similar  ;D
Anywhere within the range of "normal" is acceptable. Everyone is different. If it is staying within the limits with your current diet, it is not necessary to go out and buy special protein products, its just a waste of time and money.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 05:35:03 AM »

Anywhere within the range of "normal" is acceptable. Everyone is different. If it is staying within the limits with your current diet, it is not necessary to go out and buy special protein products, its just a waste of time and money.

Actually dialysis patients are suggested to have albumins over 4.0.  It has to do with death rate associated with albumin levels.

Patients with albumin under 3.5 have(if I remember correctly) 20 times greater death rate vs those over 4 and those between 3.5-3.9 have a death rate double of that those over 4.
Danally

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »

Is a low albumin level dangerous? How do you get it to go up?
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »

Is a low albumin level dangerous? How do you get it to go up?

I believe by eating more protein ;)   Danally, please go to the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a little about yourself, it will also allow us to formally welcome you to the site. ;)  Hope to hear more from you soon  :thumbup;

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Chicken Little

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »

I'm at 3.1, and thats an improvement for me. 
Danally

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007, 09:14:21 AM »

My dad is at 3.2 . He needs to eat more protein
luckaholic

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 05:41:51 AM »

Actually dialysis patients are suggested to have albumins over 4.0.  It has to do with death rate associated with albumin levels.

Patients with albumin under 3.5 have(if I remember correctly) 20 times greater death rate vs those over 4 and those between 3.5-3.9 have a death rate double of that those over 4.

By "normal" I meant normal for dialysis patients. Obviously most of us may not get within normal healthy people limits.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 07:02:57 AM »

By "normal" I meant normal for dialysis patients. Obviously most of us may not get within normal healthy people limits.

Not sure what you mean?

Normal healthy people range is 3.6-5.0.

For dialysis patients it the recommend ideal is  4.0  or higher due to the increased risks of death that are attributed to levels below 4. At a minimum it is recommended not to be below 3.7

It is recommended 1.2 grams protein per kilo of dry weight.  If albumin levels are low it is said to go to 1.5grams or higher of protein per kilo of dry weight.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »

Thanks to all the advice here- three months ago my husband level was 3.1--so I added a protien shake, plus a bit more meat, the next month--3.2, then it was up to 3.4, then  I added one of those chocolate chunky protien bars (which he loves very much) that Big Sky mentioned,now this time its up to 3.7-yeaaaaaaa!!!  my goal for him is 4.2, I think we may add some extra eggs, his cholesterol is 166- so he can have them...Thanks for all the great advice.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
brenda

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »

Mine is 3.3 but I just talked to the unit and they say here anything over 3.0 is considered good.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »

Mine is 3.3 but I just talked to the unit and they say here anything over 3.0 is considered good.

Is Canada's measurement for Albumin in g/dL ?  Such as 3.3 g/dL?

Or mmol/L.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:06:03 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

AlasdairUK

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2007, 02:03:20 AM »

I really have to keep at it to make sure I have an albumin of 4. I was at 4 for a while but then it seemed to drop to 3.7 which is OK , but the magic number is 4 and after taking protein shakes I have it back at 4. Albumin takes a long time to rise as far as I know it takes a long time before it goes up or down from the amount of protein you eat unless you get an infection and then it drops quickly.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2007, 03:47:34 AM »

Albumin takes a long time to rise as far as I know it takes a long time before it goes up or down from the amount of protein you eat unless you get an infection and then it drops quickly.

You've got that right, my friend!
 :beer1;

I make films.

Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2007, 04:24:56 PM »

My Albumin Level:
2/6/07 at 4.2
3/5/07 at 4.0
4/2/07 at 4.1

I use the "Phoslo" guide given to me from my dietitian at the center. One page is "Protein Finder", another is "Potassium Finder", and "Phosphorus Finder".

I work from the "High Protein" foods list which also tells you what has extra Potassium or Phosphorus and subtract them from the list and what's left is what i eat in portion sizes.

I buy eggs on sale or get them from pantries that i go to, i seperate the yolk from the whites and disguard the yolk. here's one way i drink 5 egg whites at one time.

I break open 5 eggs and put only the whites in a blender with some frozen berries (variety) with some soy milk for added flavor or use filtered water and blend then drink this.

I buy extra lean steak and boneless chic breasts

Top sirloin, lamb loin lean, turkey light/dark, lean lamb shoulder, Sole,Pollock, Ocean Perch, Flounder, Cod, white bread, spaghetti, white rice.

there's a entire food list of good protein food without additives or subs. All natural protein.

This is the main website from the posters i have but i can't find it at the website maybe you can for your reference: www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp.

hope this helps.

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
brenda

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2007, 05:12:26 PM »

Zach, I found out it is g/dL.

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »

If the number you posted is just this month, it might be a lab error or inflammation.  But if this is the albumin for several months, you may want to get a second opinion on what is considered "good."  The Kidney Foundation of Canada follows the U.S Guidelines for people on dialysis.

http://www.kidney.org/patients/pdf/ff_wi07.pdf

Please take a look at page 3, lower half.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 05:23:12 PM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

brenda

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2007, 05:25:12 PM »

Now what are you talking about? Inflammation?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 05:37:05 PM by brenda » Logged

Chicken Little

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 09:24:30 PM »

I went from 3.1 last month to 3.5 this month.   :clap;  Of course my phosphorus went from 2.8 to 3.5, because I mostly ate dairy/cheese, but still that's not too bad. 
luckaholic

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »

Acceptable blood levels for dialysis patients are usually not the same as the "normal" range. Not everything of course. That is what I meant.

Not sure what you mean?

Normal healthy people range is 3.6-5.0.

For dialysis patients it the recommend ideal is  4.0  or higher due to the increased risks of death that are attributed to levels below 4. At a minimum it is recommended not to be below 3.7

It is recommended 1.2 grams protein per kilo of dry weight.  If albumin levels are low it is said to go to 1.5grams or higher of protein per kilo of dry weight.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2007, 11:15:14 AM »

I buy eggs on sale or get them from pantries that i go to, i seperate the yolk from the whites and disguard the yolk. here's one way i drink 5 egg whites at one time.

I break open 5 eggs and put only the whites in a blender with some frozen berries (variety) with some soy milk for added flavor or use filtered water and blend then drink this.

Raw eggs?  That can't be healthy!  Our immune system is not strong enough to take that when we're on dialysis.  Aren't you worried about getting food poisoning?

My albumin levels are dropping. (I've had to cut out the peanut butter, milk and cheese to keep my phosphorous down.)  My dietitian gave me some samples of ProCel protein powder.  Bleeech!  It smells like fish bait to me.  So far, I've tried it mixed in milk over my cereal.  I gave up and had toast.  Anyone got any better ideas for a better tasting powder?  I'm going to try mixing it into something with a stronger flavor, to see if it disappears that way, but I'm not counting on it! 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »

Jbeany I think it was Big sky and Zach who recommended the bars and shakes- my husband does the ZOIC brand shake( I buy at Winn Dixie) and the Met RX Chocolate Chunk -both of which are not high in either PO4 or Potassium-his level is 3.7 again this month but has climbed the last four monthes from 3.2-now we are adding daily eggs. He says those bars are like candy- he eats them as a snack.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Ginger

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2007, 04:43:38 PM »

There is egg white powder in the baking aisle that can be added to other foods or made into an omelet. It works if used regularly. It is called 'Just Whites'.  It also does not have a bad flavor or smell.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »

thanks for the ideas, ladies.  I'm supposed to go grocery shopping tomorrow, so I'll see what I can find around here.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »