I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 07:23:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Mum charged $500 to park at hospital
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mum charged $500 to park at hospital  (Read 2455 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: January 12, 2009, 10:41:14 AM »

Mum charged $500 to park at hospital
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Gemma Jones

January 13, 2009 12:00am

THE Children's Hospital, Westmead has told a mother about to donate a kidney to her daughter she will have to pay $500 in parking fees.

The case of South Granville mother Kristy Hite has exposed the confusion and heartlessness of the hospital's new parking policy.

The Daily Telegraph this week revealed the State Government's plan to privatise hospital car parks and Westmead's proposal to increase fees at its car park.

Ms Hite's daughter Lily, 4, has been sick since she was born and the struggling family was entitled to free parking.

Hospital parking an insult to parents

Last month a hospital social worker said the free parking would be revoked and Ms Hite would have to pay for parking for at least two months until the hospital could consider her case.

If Ms Hite parks at the hospital - which is now charging $16 a day, up from $12 - during visits before and after her daughter's operation she would pay about $512.

When The Daily Telegraph alerted the hospital to Ms Hite's plight yesterday, a spokeswoman said there had been a miscommunication and the family would continue to be allowed to park free.

"She (the social worker) said she was looking into what we could do further down the track," Ms Hite said yesterday. "She said I would have to pay for a couple of months until they worked something out, it was a very vague conversation we had.

"It is the worst time for them to cancel that card, we're going to live here for at least a month."

Ms Hite has moved from Nowra to South Granville and borrowed money to stay afloat. Before the hospital returned her parking privileges, she said she would have to park blocks from the hospital and walk to see her daughter despite undergoing serious surgery to have her kidney removed.

"That cost isn't even an option . . . I am in debt up to my eyeballs," she said. "I am amazed you have to pay at all and the price is ridiculous."

Health Minister John Della Bosca said yesterday he had called the hospital to ensure families were given proper consideration. A spokeswoman for the hospital said Ms Hite would be provided with free parking.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24904137-5006009,00.html?from=public_rss

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »

????????????????????

You have to pay to park at a hospital.

S.A.D.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »

:Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »

????????????????????

You have to pay to park at a hospital.

S.A.D.

oh yeah! Very common. At my hospital parking is an absolute premium but at least the dialysis unit has some deal where patients coming in only have to pay $2 for their parking which is a good deal IMHO. I'm lucky I live across the road (and don't drive) so not an issue for me but I do feel for those that do have to deal with that extra on top of everything.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »

Didn't you talk about that in an old post RichardMel?

Sad they changed their mind because  the newspaper got involved.

The three university transplant hospitals here charge for parking and get a discount if your a patient or are there seeing the doctor there. You just have to get a validation slip that said you were there. Get's expensive, $11.00 at my transplant hospital.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »

I use to work for the Telegraph and I wrote a similar story about  parking fees years ago.  A woman contacted me who had parked her car when her son was rushed to hospital in a critical condition and she didn't leave the hospital or his side for four days.  Her parking ticket came to about $150 and they wouldn't let her have her car until she paid it.  There are definitely circumstances where all parking fees should be waived but according to our hospitals, they need the revenue.  Parking fees at hospitals here in Australia are hefty but our medical system is generally excellent.
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:16:26 AM »

The hospital I go to charges minimum $3.50 max $8.00 per day for parking. The only patients that don't pay are Dialysis center patients who can get free self parking at the main self parking deck or cancer center patients that are allowed free valet parking at the cancer center valet stand. Each department validates for their patients. When I went in for same day surgery I had to pay $2.00- they validated for a discount only. (Same day surgery enters through the valet at the Cancer Center.)

The hospital has a self-parking visitor parking deck, a valet parking deck and an employee parking deck. The hospital is in a town where all parking is pay parking and if they didn't charge visitors, people not visiting the hospital would park there.

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »