I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Pain in my new kidney
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pain in my new kidney  (Read 6650 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: January 11, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »

Starting Thursday evening I started getting this pain in the area of my new kidney (lower left stomach area).  I walked on my treadmill on Tues or Wed at an average speed (2.5 mph), but I walked at a level 3 incline for 30 minutes.  The "pain" I can only describe as intermittent and sort of "pulling", as if there has been some tightening and I'm pulling/stretching it.  If I touch the area or push down on the new kidney there is absolutely no pain.  It usually occurs when I'm standing and I take deep breaths or move strangely.  Bending over doesn't necessarily cause the pain, either.

I called the on-call clinic nurse last night and she went over all the other possible complications, such as fever or spike in BP.  I told her I had neither.  I feel fine, I just keep getting this stretching or pulling "pain".  My urine output is normal, as well.  I've been taking it easy today and I'm supposed to call her again in the a.m.  and let her know if it's worse.  If not, I have labs and a doctor visit on Tuesday.    I'm 9 weeks post-op.   Any other transplanter experience anything like this?   Actually, it's not an unfamiliar "pain".  I had this pain early on after surgery.  You think maybe I pulled something or strained something walking?  Any suggestions other than what I've already done calling the nurse?     :thx;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »

Kelly...
   I had my Tx about 2 weeks ahead of you and I experienced much the same thing because I lifted something that was a bit too heavy.  Doc did labs and like you, everything else was fine (ie. output, temp, bp)  I bet you did exactly that "pulled something" when you walked the incline.  It's scarey and worrisome though.  Might be worth getting those labs just to ease your mind.

Good luck!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

Thank you!  That eases my mind!  If it had just happened out of the blue I think I would be more worried, but because I can associate it to the walking I really feel that's what caused it.  I usually walk at maybe 1.5 to 2 incline, but I was feeling rather ambitiious that night!  I think I'll slow it down a bit!    Thanks again!

Where did you have your surgery?  How are you doing now?

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »

It is hard NOT to worry, but the basic signs are fever, and pain when you put your hand on your kidney and push.  Don't be pushing on it all the time either you may bruise it.  Relax!

Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »

Had my surgery at University Hosp in Syracuse, NY on October 24th.  It's been an interesting ride to say the least.  Surgically, I healed wonderfully, but have been dealing with rejection issues, that they now seem to have under control.  My creatine still runs 1.3 to 1.7 depending on how high my Prograf levels are, but they aren't concerned because my body beat the living hell outta the poor kidney for a couple of weeks!  All in all I feel great and I am not concerned about that creatine levels either, because I haven't seen numbers like that since my teen years.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »

I agree, Rerun.  Last night I was starting to worry, but today after talking to the nurse I feel more comfortable.  Also, last night I noticed when I rolled over onto my left side I was having the pain.  When I woke up this morning I thought I'd try it again and when I turned to my left side there was no pain at all.  I'm just going to take it easy and relax until Tuesday's visit.  I checked my book and read the symptoms of rejection and one of them is pain or tenderness over the kidney.  But then again, it's not "to the touch".

Relax....breathe....relax.    Thanks gals.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »

Sorry this may sound wrong, but I was hoping that this might be similar to the pains I have had that's been going on for two years. Mine is in the same area sounds like, but mine was an intence pain and worse when I urinated. Local docs didn't want to look inside because he never dealt with a transplant patient. I was then transferred to my transplant center who just took blood work to see if I was rejecting. Thus another reason I really hate my pancreas surgeon. The pain took several months to go away, but now I have pain if I have the urger to go and have to hold. I'm not talking like I have a full bladder either, just because my body feels like ohh let's mess with him while he's trying to get inside or he's oing something that needs attention.

No doc has given m an answer to pain, not even it's possible reflux, which I worry about after finding out about it on here.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 03:52:05 PM »

Sounds to me like you are describing a "pulled" muscle.  I still have never had any rejection, even though I'm no longer on meds, so can't speak to that but I often have sore stomach muscles from exercise especially when I try something a little new for me. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »

The pain is definitely over the kidney.  I'm sure I've strained something, but what?  My guess is that it's not rejection, but I hope I haven't hurt something that's still healing.  I'm going to take it easy for a while.  No lifting or straining movement.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »

Hopefully there's no big problem, but get checked anyway. It's important to know if there's fluid building up in the area, although I believe if it were the pain would be there when you apply pressure.

Some people develop adhesions in the area of a surgical incision. Surgical adhesions and scar tissue can develop and cause discomfort such as tugging and pain.

Getting an adhesion is like having a not-so-elastic band suddenly ­materialize inside your body cavity and connecting ­internal organs that are not normally connected — like loops of intestines, with your uterus at one end and a bend in the fallopian tubes at the other, or joining your intestines and the walls of the abdomen.

I think they can do an ultrasound to diagnose the problem, but check with your doctor.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »

I'm 9 months post i still have stabbin pains coming and going over my incision site and i talked with tx clinic and told me some people have them...all my labs are ok... after all i have been through i tend to "worry" about every little ache and pain  i want to do everything i can to make it last long as possible....hope the pain goes away and it turns out to be nothing..Chris

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »

Hope everything is ok with the new kidney Kelly.  :grouphug;
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »

I stopped by the clinic today, as I as in the neighborhood, and my post-transplant coordinator seems to agree that I've strained something.  I have labs and doctor visit tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!  The peace of mind you all gave me is priceless!

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »

:cuddle;  Hugs Kelly

I hope the labs are good and you have just pushed a little too hard on the treadmill!

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »

Glad to hear this Kelly.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »

Slow down a tad on your treadmill. Remember you are a transplant person, not Superwoman, yet!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 04:58:44 PM »

Ha! :rofl;    I don't think it was my speed.  I believe it was the incline.  I walk at a pretty average speed (not too fast, not too slow).  And I NEVER run unless something is chasing me!

How goes the gym for you, Kit?  Still going strong?  I wanna see photos of your muscles!!!!!     :boxing;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 05:11:47 PM »

Muscles, too much fat to get rid of first!   I am working out in the pool. I am up to 32 laps which is a half a mile in the pool on a regular basis!  Twenty minutes on the bike pretty easy at level 3.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 09:21:24 AM »

I saw my transplant doctor yesterday and he's in 100% agreement that I've strained something probably from the walking on the incline.  I've been taking it easy these last few days and I already feel a difference.

He did tell me, however, that I have to get my weight under control!  I've gained 15 lbs since transplant and I am miserable!  I asked him how much of that 15 lbs does he figure is fluid and he said "Zero".  Ahhhh man!     :(       I told him I've joined Weight Watchers and he's happy.  He said "I don't expect you to lose until we get the Prednisone down, but you don't want to go any higher".  I agree.  The 1st week of WW I followed the plan and still gained 3 lbs!  I did have a late lunch, so maybe that contributed to my gain.  ???   I didn't follow the plan at all last week, so I didn't even go weigh-in.  My scale at home doesn't say I'm up, but I don't trust the WW scale!  I'm not a tiny person so I can't afford to go any higher in weight!  I'll POP!!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »

You aren't going to POP!!   :rofl;  You are so funny.     But, you can pee and have a lovely pink kidney --  so don't beat yourself up about the Prenisone pounds.  It doesn't help to have just gone through the holidays with all the good food.  You are doing great and look gorgeous!   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
st789

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »

Hope you are ok.  Take care.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 03:52:42 PM »

I think it would be fair to blame the prednisone. When that is reduced, I'll bet the weight will come off a lot easier. Don't be too hard on yourself about this. All you can do is your best to keep your weight under control. Prednisone is notorious for contributing to weight gain and sometimes doctors can be so ignorant or unsympathetic about it. Just try to cut out all the "bad stuff" ( you know what that is), eat healthy and hang in there. You'll lose the weight. I had prednisone weight gain too and sometimes there is not a lot to be done about it if you know you are already trying all the right things.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 08:47:14 PM »

Just thinking of you Kell... hope you have rested  a few days now and are feeling a bit better!!!   :flower;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »

:waving;
Hey Kelly!
Take it easy!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:25 PM »

The 1st week of WW I followed the plan and still gained 3 lbs! 

I don't think Weight Watchers would like to use you as a spokesperson!  ;)

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »