I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Been advised against this site ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Been advised against this site ...  (Read 16121 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »

I think this is a really great site.  If you're feeling down about something, you either get sympathy, encouragement, a boot up the backside or all three ;D

I can't find anything negative in this site at all.  It tells it like it is but still has a tremendous amount of humour in it too.  I read the jokes thread yesterday and laughed my head off ;D

All I can say is "keep up the good work" ;D

Thank you so much, it's nice to hear the good things people have to say about this site.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 04:04:45 PM »

I asked my social worker to print out the IHD flyer and she refused. She said I can't put any advertisments for sites up neither .. but I can print it out myself on my crappy printer and show people individually ..

I am not sure if it was the name of the site or what that she was against ...  ???

More likely that she refused because they do not want to be seen as endorsing anything.  Isn't really all that uncommon anymore in any business.
Kelly528

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 04:45:23 PM »

I think it's great that you are learning about your illness. We encourage all our patients to learn and ask questions. Other wise we won't know what is going on when they come in for treatment. As you are aware. Most patients have mulitple diagnosis not just ESRD. So you have to be knowledgeable about those also. Nice little site I'll have to recommend this to some of my patients that have access to the computer.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 05:19:16 PM »

Hi Kelly,   glad you found us and joined, Welcome... Now, if you can please go to the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a little more about You,  we'd love to hear more from you and about you... Hope to hear from you again soon....

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 10:07:26 PM »

I asked my social worker to print out the IHD flyer and she refused. She said I can't put any advertisments for sites up neither .. but I can print it out myself on my crappy printer and show people individually ..

I am not sure if it was the name of the site or what that she was against ...  ???

More likely that she refused because they do not want to be seen as endorsing anything.  Isn't really all that uncommon anymore in any business.
YA! That is exactly what she said but me being dyslexic I could not remember the word "endorse" to express what she said. Thanks! That is exactly the reason! Any suggestions?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »

YA! That is exactly what she said but me being dyslexic I could not remember the word "endorse" to express what she said. Thanks! That is exactly the reason! Any suggestions?

Well you could print one copy and take it to a copy shop and print out a few copies on the cheap or copy the info onto a disk and to the same thing as some copy shops will make copies from a disk if you have it.  Have seen copy shops charge anywhere from a couple cents to ten cents a copy.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »

Just came across this thread. It's good to read.
Then I started wondering... anyone heard from mattyboy lately?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 07:31:39 PM »

i guess i'm lucky, my neph thought this site was a good idea. of course anytime i completely understand what he's suggesting and say ya sure lets do that, he plays devils advocate. he has always wanted to make sure i know what all my options

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
virrat

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Your postings have given me a boost.  If you remember my introduction, I am the patient who plans to do a doctoral thesis on the information seeking behaviours of dialysis patients.  My premise is that we seek information in order to answer questions, but also for therapeutic purposes.  Having the information, sometimes good or bad, eases the anxiety we feel when we are at a loss.  My belief is that information is everywhere; it is up to the individual to decide what is information and he/she uses it.  Some people in the medical profession might deride the information found on this site because it does not conform to their perception of a reliable source, but  when you get down to it, it is up to us.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 08:45:51 PM »

I am one of those people who prefers to understand what is happening and why, because understanding (or perhaps partial understanding) is key to coping for me. I'd rather not sit there and be told whatever person X wants to tell me... luckily I have some nurses who do sit and explain stuff to me and that really helps. It also motivates me more to, for example, drink less, or be more strict with my diet etc....

I can, however, see a medical person's issue with a site like this. Let's say I have condition X, and I go on a board and say "hey.. I have condition X.. what might happen?" and person Y comes back and says "well I've got X as well, and this and this happened but if I did this it fixed it up" - that sort of thing COULD be dangerous - everyone is different!! A few weeks ago I was talking with the nurses about my dry weight and they were going to put it up.. but I said "well but hold on, my bp isn't low.. it's a little high... wouldn't that mean if anything I should take the dry weight DOWN a little?" and they looked at me and said "that's only one thing we take into account, there are others.." and for me it underlined that all of this stuff can be very complex and things can vary from patient to patient....  I like to read general advice issues here, but I wouldn't want to take say medication advice or something from here without talking to my doc etc about it. I feel maybe the medical folks are afraid that a half informed person without understanding all the variables at play could cause themselves more problems than good.

For me, I mostly come here for the feeling of support, and if something happens to me, chances are more folks here will have had it and can relate, and that really helps me cope more without feeling "it's just me"

So I can sort of see both sides to the argument, but I'm all for spreading the word... after all I see this site as one of community support, and I think we all need that!

oh, btw, increasing my dry weight has helped :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 09:09:05 PM »

I am one of those people who prefers to understand what is happening and why, because understanding (or perhaps partial understanding) is key to coping for me. I'd rather not sit there and be told whatever person X wants to tell me... luckily I have some nurses who do sit and explain stuff to me and that really helps. It also motivates me more to, for example, drink less, or be more strict with my diet etc....

I can, however, see a medical person's issue with a site like this. Let's say I have condition X, and I go on a board and say "hey.. I have condition X.. what might happen?" and person Y comes back and says "well I've got X as well, and this and this happened but if I did this it fixed it up" - that sort of thing COULD be dangerous - everyone is different!! A few weeks ago I was talking with the nurses about my dry weight and they were going to put it up.. but I said "well but hold on, my bp isn't low.. it's a little high... wouldn't that mean if anything I should take the dry weight DOWN a little?" and they looked at me and said "that's only one thing we take into account, there are others.." and for me it underlined that all of this stuff can be very complex and things can vary from patient to patient....  I like to read general advice issues here, but I wouldn't want to take say medication advice or something from here without talking to my doc etc about it. I feel maybe the medical folks are afraid that a half informed person without understanding all the variables at play could cause themselves more problems than good.

For me, I mostly come here for the feeling of support, and if something happens to me, chances are more folks here will have had it and can relate, and that really helps me cope more without feeling "it's just me"

So I can sort of see both sides to the argument, but I'm all for spreading the word... after all I see this site as one of community support, and I think we all need that!

oh, btw, increasing my dry weight has helped :)

Yeah because doctors have all the answers and they know best.  ::) I understand what you are saying, but I have brought up medical issues to some nephs that had no idea what I was talking about. I prefer hearing from fellow patients who have LIVED through situations than a doctor who goes completely by the textbook. Just because a person is a doctor does not make them an authority, not even a neph. Some nephs are indeed very wise and are current in advancements of nephrology however some are not. At the very least do research and do not solely base your decisions on whatever the "Doc" says.

An informed/educated patient is a healthy patient. I prefer "LIFE" experience over "Textbook" experience.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 10:53:23 PM »

I have been here on IHD.com for almost a year.  The support from everyone has really kept me sane and from losing my mind over this past year.  I struggle with the issues hubby has and I struggle with dialysis issues.  No matter what is has been someone is here to tell me to hold on.  This site has become a second home to me.

Support, advice, and a well deserved kick in the pants sometimes is what I find here.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 11:13:44 PM »

I don't care if my team 'advises' me not to be part of this or any site on-line. As a home dialysis patient I only see my doctor every six weeks and I never see anyone else on dialysis. Just being a member here for a short period has re-enforced to me that its o.k to ask questions and demand answers. Knowledge for me is everything, I have to understand every detail. I have always thought that I must come across 'bossy' to my Neph because I always want to know every 'why and how' detail. This site gives me the courage and the determination to ask the questions and find the answers.

Its wonderful to be able to come on-line and feel I am not alone on this journey!    :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
AlasdairUK

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 04:43:59 AM »

Just came across this thread. It's good to read.
Then I started wondering... anyone heard from mattyboy lately?

I sent a PM a week or so ago and did not get a response. I'm sure he just busy and will come back when he can.

At the end of the day it is only advice. They can advise us not to have a look at the site and we can advise them to look at the site. I think we have reached a standoff.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 07:34:44 AM »

While i think we all use our common sense on here and realise we do not all have the same conditions (although we all have kidney failure in one form or another). I find that although some of the information posted on this site relates to me and some doesnt ..its that feeling you get, that your not the only 'one' that gives you great comfort.  :grouphug;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
nextnoel

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »

I find information is helpful because it calms me down!  What I know, however unpleasant or difficult or initially frightening, is NOTHING compared to what I can imagine!  And I don't like surprises - forewarned is fore armed, far as I am concerned.

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Triker

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »

I think I'll probably live longer, thanks to the information I've gathered from this site. Too bad for them, (meaning the clinic staff), they'll have to put up with me longer. :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 04:48:54 PM by Triker » Logged
bluedove57

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »

I've found this site because my nephrologist told me about it. I love it and I'm getting even more educated than I was. Take one day at a time. Tomorrow isn't here yet. Your Mum is right, what is ahead of you can't go by you.  :2thumbsup; for the creator of this site.....
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2007, 06:19:08 AM »

We have always been actively involved in hubby's treatment -even before he started dialysis.  We have done a lot of research and thre were times when the nurses at the unit would ask hubby the answer to questions.  I think every one needs to be informed.  Nurse sometimes have mis information even though they are the ones you are supposed to trust with your life. This site is fantastic-thanks epoman.  It helps you see that other people have the same problems as you.  It helps to discuss and see what they have done. Hubby has even had to tell some nurses and patients what foods not to eat for phos and potassium.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
girl-x-treme

girl-x-treme

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2007, 11:31:16 AM »

so sorry to hear about your cliinic. I love mine! Its the only non profit clininc in the city my home training nurse Becky is who told me to come here. She and the other staff know and promote it. I figured out on my own why I was so broke out. I knew it had to do with toxins but I wasn't exaclty sure then when I started training I was told it the phosphorus toxins coming out. So now I take my meds!
Triker

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »

so sorry to hear about your cliinic. I love mine! Its the only non profit clininc in the city my home training nurse Becky is who told me to come here. She and the other staff know and promote it. I figured out on my own why I was so broke out. I knew it had to do with toxins but I wasn't exaclty sure then when I started training I was told it the phosphorus toxins coming out. So now I take my meds!

That will cure you of letting your phosphorus get too high!  ;D It's like having the hives. I was told about that, but I've learned about an awful lot here that I didn't have explained to me.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »

That will cure you of letting your phosphorus get too high!  ;D It's like having the hives. I was told about that, but I've learned about an awful lot here that I didn't have explained to me.
Same with me! I wasn't good with my Phosphate and then me ta girl who had almost died from high levels of Phosphate that caused her to have calciphylaxis! Look it up! It is deadly! Even though she lived she can't get a date because of how it has left her body and people are so into looks :( Take care of your diet and this can be prevented!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »

On speaking to my renal consultant regarding IHD, she said "When something Good happens, you tell a few people, when some thing Bad happens, you tell EVERYONE".  These sites are full of Everyones...........She's never even looked at the site.

I also told her I had been reading a lot about NxStage, she had no idea what I was talking about!!!  That's my EXPERT Renal Consultant ???....

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »

I also told her I had been reading a lot about NxStage, she had no idea what I was talking about!!!  That's my EXPERT Renal Consultant ???....
It depends where you are as NxStage (as far as I know) is ONLY available in the USA.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2007, 09:46:10 PM »

But angie, if she's a "renal consultant" shouldn't she be reading the latest trade magazines and medical journals?  They have all kinds of articles on NXstage, so if she's really doing her job, she should at least have heard of the latest technology.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »