I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question  (Read 4889 times)
Python

Bobby the Python

« on: August 25, 2006, 05:51:11 AM »

My son has some residual kidney function left - enough for him to make a good amount of urine every day and enough for him not to need things like BP medication.

When he gets a transplant, will his own kidneys carry on like they are at the moment, or will they stop working and let the new kidney take over?

Probably a daft question, but I'm curious.

Alports Syndrome - A Rare Breed Indeed!!!
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:25:17 AM »

My son has some residual kidney function left - enough for him to make a good amount of urine every day and enough for him not to need things like BP medication.

When he gets a transplant, will his own kidneys carry on like they are at the moment, or will they stop working and let the new kidney take over?

Probably a daft question, but I'm curious.

From what I understand the new kidney will do all the work.  Though they probably wont remove the old kidney (It's usually left in) they would still detach it and hook up the transplant to work in it's place.  I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it would work.

It's not easy being green.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:30:15 AM »

If he gets a new kidney right away, you won't know because it will take over as soon as it starts functioning.  (may take a day or two)

I was still producing urine when I got my transplant.  When it failed 17+ years later they had to take it out.  So, when urine dribbled out day after day I figured my poor little native kidneys had like maybe 5 nephrons left working!

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:50:20 AM »

The process of dialysis itself causes residual renal function to decline, so most patients with considerable residual function at the start have completely lost it by the time they get a kidney.  My residual function was sufficient to permit me to escape all fluid restrictions for the first four years of dialysis, but at that point the remaining nephrons ceased to work.

Since the transplanted kidney will be placed at the front of the body, in the peritoneum, and connected to the veins and arteries coming up from the leg, there is no need to remove the existing kidneys at the middle of the back to make room for it. If there is still residual function in the native kidneys, they will continue to contribute to the production of urine and the control of creatinine and electrolyte values after the transplant is in place.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 10:30:57 AM »

The process of dialysis itself causes residual renal function to decline, ...

I've seen this mentioned before.  Do you know of a website that explains why it happens?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Python

Bobby the Python

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »

Cheers my dears.  That answers my question ;D

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:28:35 PM »

The process of dialysis itself causes residual renal function to decline, so most patients with considerable residual function at the start have completely lost it by the time they get a kidney.  My residual function was sufficient to permit me to escape all fluid restrictions for the first four years of dialysis, but at that point the remaining nephrons ceased to work.

Since the transplanted kidney will be placed at the front of the body, in the peritoneum, and connected to the veins and arteries coming up from the leg, there is no need to remove the existing kidneys at the middle of the back to make room for it. If there is still residual function in the native kidneys, they will continue to contribute to the production of urine and the control of creatinine and electrolyte values after the transplant is in place.
Ya people have asked me why they put the kidney in the front. For lack of a better answer I just said so it is easier to access for biopsy, but I just thought .. I would ask here. Why do they do that?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »

The process of dialysis itself causes residual renal function to decline, ...

I've seen this mentioned before.  Do you know of a website that explains why it happens?

It's because the kidneys just give up, the little guys work there asses off trying to do what they can to clean you, then as they notice dialysis cleans the blood they don't work as hard and eventually go on "strike"  ;D I urinated alot before I started dialysis but within 2 years I was down to very little output, now none.

But yeah thats about the correct answer.

For a more technical answer: The kidney disease gets worse over time until most if not all of the "Nephon"s are destroyed or no longer filter, OR in my case the Kidneys SHRINK.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Python

Bobby the Python

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 05:35:50 PM »

Hmm.  Interesting.  Ian was told his kidneys would stop functioning completely within 3 months of him starting dialysis.  Nearly 5 years later and they're still doing what they were doing 5 years ago and showing no sign (yet) of letting up - which is good news for Ian as he's got no fluid restrictions at all.  Between the dialysis and his own kidneys he seems to get on OK (apart from this hiccup with the appendicitis which has upset the applecart a bit).  I think everyone's residual kidney function (if any) depends on the individual and what has caused their kidney failure in the first place.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »

Hmm.  Interesting.  Ian was told his kidneys would stop functioning completely within 3 months of him starting dialysis.  Nearly 5 years later and they're still doing what they were doing 5 years ago and showing no sign (yet) of letting up - which is good news for Ian as he's got no fluid restrictions at all.  Between the dialysis and his own kidneys he seems to get on OK (apart from this hiccup with the appendicitis which has upset the applecart a bit).  I think everyone's residual kidney function (if any) depends on the individual and what has caused their kidney failure in the first place.

And that is a very good answer.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Shades_Elfen

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »

thought that as I'm being discussed i should throw my thoughts into the pot....

before my dialysis, my urine output was (i assume) average for a growing child, but i would notice the red colour easily (i have one embarrassing memory from primary school, when one of the other kids was using the urinals at the same time as me.... lets just say the colour difference was THAT noticeable that a 6 year old noticed and made the expected comments... *caugh* i remember being confused at the time, asking myself questions like "Why?" and "Am i that different?"  now that I'm older and understand the Why, i feel better.... anyway back to the matter at hand...)

after my kidneys failed, i noticed a small decrease in the amount i pass, but the difference is that small its almost impossible to tell... and the colour changed to a more "Normal" yellow colour.

and now 5 years later, I'm still passing as much as i did when my Kidneys failed, with no sign of decreased output, although that MAY change in future, I'm hoping it stays as is, but i am prepared to accept that that may change in future.

on a side note, I can tell if im going to come down with a cold in advance because my urine will turn more red, why this is, i dont know, any ideas?

Time been on Dialysis : 5 years and counting
"It Doesn't matter, now what happens, I will never give up the fight, as long as the voice inside tells me to stand and fight" - Myself
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »

IT must have to do with your own type of renal failure. I am sure there is a logical reason that your Nephrologist could tell you. For me I never got that. I just peed normal all the time up til this time around after 2 years of PD. Then I peed less and less until I was peeing about only once a week and very little and then one day I told the secretary who handed me the 24-hr jug for my yearly test that I could not use it as I haven't peed in a couple weeks. She handed it to me anyways but I wasn't able to even put a drop in it. Now it has been a few years (I think 3??). Been so long since I peed I can't remember :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
LT514

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 04:04:08 PM »

If your son gets a kidney transplant and it is successful, the new kidney will take the place of his native kidneys. Chances are very high that he will lose all function in his native kidneys, as he will not need them any longer. My native kidneys are currently the size of walnuts.

Leslie Taylor
1989 - Diagnosed with ESRD/CKD; began PD
1991 - Transplant from my mom
3/2000 - Transplant rejection, began in-center hemo
8/2000 - Deceased donor transplant #2
11/2003 - Rejection
07/2005: Deceased donor transplant #3 - R.I.P Steven Ecklid
04/2007: Graduated with an MSW
10/2007: Began working as dialysis social worker

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

I will get by, I will survive - Grateful Dead
Pages: [1] Go Up Print