I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 12:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  List of Diseases Which Recur Following Renal Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: List of Diseases Which Recur Following Renal Transplant  (Read 4153 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: December 20, 2008, 11:15:45 AM »

List of Diseases Which Recur Following Renal Transplant

Renal Fellow Network
Friday, December 19, 2008

Nearly any primary glomerulopathy has the possibility of recurring following a kidney transplant; however, the frequency and severity with which this occurs varies to a large degree.  For instance, evidence of mesangial IgA deposition can be seen in the majority of kidney transplant patients with a prior diagnosis of IgA Nephropathy; however, this does not typically lead to rapid allograft loss and therefore is not so clinically significant.  Recurrent primary FSGS, on the other hand, may occur commonly and with a severity that may indeed lead to graft loss.  The following is a partial list of some diseases with a high rate of recurrence following kidney transplant and their relative rates of frequency, taken in part from a short review in a 2007 Transplant Proceedings issue:

1.  Primary FSGS:  about 40% of cases will recur, many of which ultimately lead to allograft failure.  Plasma exchange and aggressive immunosuppression may be of value.

2.  Primary membranous nephropathy:  about 30% recurrence rate, though its severity is less than that of primary FSGS typically.  Also, de novo membranous nephropathy occurs in 1-2% of all transplants.

3.  MPGN:  type II MPGN has a recurrence rate of about 90%, whereas type I MPGN has a recurrence rate of only about 25%.

4.  HUS:  the D+ type of HUS typically does not recur post-transplant; however, the congenital forms of HUS (e.g. mutations in factor H, grouped amongst the D-type of HUS) recurs frequently.

5.  IgA Nephropathy/Henoch-Schonlein Purpura: recurs about 50% of the time but seldom causes allograft dysfunction.

6.  primary hyperoxaluria:  this disease occurs essentially 100% of the time unless it is performed as a dual liver-kidney transplant.

7.  diabetic nephropathy:  like IgA Nephropathy, pathologic hallmarks of diabetic nephropathy are commonly observed post-trasnsplant, but this damage typically takes years, if not decades, to become clinically significant.

There are probably others, but these are some of the major ones to remember.
Posted by nathanhellman at 2:58 PM

http://renalfellow.blogspot.com/2008/12/list-of-diseases-which-recur-following.html

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:53:22 PM »

Very interesting Zach

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »

For instance, evidence of mesangial IgA deposition can be seen in the majority of kidney transplant patients with a prior diagnosis of IgA Nephropathy; however, this does not typically lead to rapid allograft loss and therefore is not so clinically significant. 

5.  IgA Nephropathy/Henoch-Schonlein Purpura: recurs about 50% of the time but seldom causes allograft dysfunction.

As usual, my husband Marvin doesn't fit the statistics.  He had IgA Nephropathy, which destroyed both of his original kidneys.  A little less than three years after his transplant, IgA showed up in his transplanted kidney.  He kept the transplant for a total of three years, three months.   :banghead;
st789

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »

Good article Zach.  Very informative.

Oh, Marvin's IgA came back.  I am taking fish oil to prevent the it from coming back to my transplanted kidney.  Pray here.

Oh, being away for awhile, new desktop makes all work well.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

Oh, being away for awhile, new desktop makes all work well.

Good to have you back, Scott!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »

Oh, Marvin's IgA came back. I am taking fish oil to prevent the it from coming back to my transplanted kidney. Pray here.

He took fish oil, too -- for a little over three years and so much of it (dosage recommended by nephrologist) until Marvin said he thought he was growing gills.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:01:27 PM »

Question for the Z man...

is Primary FSGS the acute one or the chronic one, or neither?

I have FSGS but it's the chronic (or slower moving) version. I asked my neph about the chances of it re-occuring post transplant. His comment was that he thought it wasn't so likely, but even if it did it would more than likely act in the same way and be very slow acting on a transplanted kidney - reading between the lines he was suggesting a transplanted kidney could fail due to other causes rather than a reoccurance of my FSGS killing it off.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:56:25 AM »

Question for the Z man...

is Primary FSGS the acute one or the chronic one, or neither?

I have FSGS but it's the chronic (or slower moving) version. I asked my neph about the chances of it re-occuring post transplant. His comment was that he thought it wasn't so likely, but even if it did it would more than likely act in the same way and be very slow acting on a transplanted kidney - reading between the lines he was suggesting a transplanted kidney could fail due to other causes rather than a reoccurance of my FSGS killing it off.

That's pretty much what mine said about my MPGN.

8)

I make films.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »